Thread: Weird random problem when shifting to reverse? Anyone else?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Weird random problem when shifting to reverse? Anyone else?

Hey guys, ever since I remember getting my car I have this weird problem that sometimes, I say 1 out of 15 times that I shift into reverse, it doesn't really "click" and when I release the clutch I hear a slight grinding of the gears and no movement of the car. I proceed to clutch back to neutral and back to reverse and then it clicks and feels sturdy, and then the car moves normally.

What is this problem? Why does it happen? I actually did get it checked once and the mechanic couldn't figure it out. It just didn't happen when he tried it, and it's mostly not an issue (except maybe if I'm parked on a slope) so I'm just curious if this happens to someone else.

Thanks
    i had the same problem on my 2000 civic...to be honest i don't think its a problem....i cant say the micra has EVER done that to me but i have only had it 3 years as opposed to the civic 15 years.....POSSIBLY it might actually get better with time as things wear in, but PERSONALLY i wouldnt go looking for too many answers..live with the manual..its simplistic, quirky and no one has one.

PS i dont think reverse has a syncro which may be part of the "problem"
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Usually if the car has been really cold for a while I get this. I can feel when it doesn't "click" in properly so I just back out and back in and it clicks properly.

Thanks
    I had the same issue, I think it is the gear did not fully engage when shift to reverse. so what I did for now, I push the clutch all the way to the end, and give little more push shifting to reverse. so far so good.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback guys, that puts my worry at ease, I'll try clutching it harder to see if it works the first time since it usually takes me a few attempts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by senseibericum View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys, that puts my worry at ease, I'll try clutching it harder to see if it works the first time since it usually takes me a few attempts.
    This pretty much happens half the time I try to put the car in reverse with the parking brake on. Sometimes even with it off just depending how the clutch/trans is sitting. I usually end up popping it in a forward gear and then back into reverse.

It's pretty common IMO. My 2005 Acura does the same thing. The drivetrain in both vehicles are very similar and both developed/released in the same era (2003-2005).

Thanks
    I do the same thing with my other standard trans vehicles, put the shifter in 1st & let the clutch out a little till it starts to move & then retry reverse.
    Before starting a standard trans car I always make sure I can easily push the clutch pedal to the floor 1st, If not
    make sure to adjust the seat.
    Letting out the clutch when you know the shifter didn't go into position properly is probably not a good idea, its going to grind
    a bit then probably pop back into neutral.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwilly View Post
    I do the same thing with my other standard trans vehicles, put the shifter in 1st & let the clutch out a little till it starts to move & then retry reverse.
    Before starting a standard trans car I always make sure I can easily push the clutch pedal to the floor 1st, If not
    make sure to adjust the seat.
    Letting out the clutch when you know the shifter didn't go into position properly is probably not a good idea, its going to grind
    a bit then probably pop back into neutral.
    I do the same .... learned from driving straight cut gear grain trucks....not sure if any of you have drove one of them but there is a art to not grinding gears on them

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jtsimaras For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (04-13-2019)

Thanks
    Ive never driven a grain truck but I do have an old Kubota tractor that has no syncromesh on any gear.
    According to the warning label you cannot shift between gears without coming to a complete stop.

Attached Images Attached Images