Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Buildup Issue - Front fender bottoms

Thanks

Ice Buildup Issue - Front fender bottoms

Anyone else with a Micra S or SV experience an issue where ice builds up at the bottom of your fenders?

I don't have mud guards or side skirts added to my SV.

I live in the Yukon and we frequently get warm winds off the Pacific bringing up the temperature to 0-5 degrees in the middle of winter and then dropping back off to -30. When this happens (happening more now near spring), the snow melts and then freezes at the bottom of my fenders, often causing the bottom corner of the door to scrape the ice buildup sounding like metal on metal.

Does anyone else experience this? I've been thinking of adding in mud guards and hoping it might help. However, it may just trap the ice/water even worse. I'm mostly concerned about ice scraping the paint off in the corners of my doors and then starting to rust out from that point.

I'll try to take a decent picture and upload it after.

Thanks
    This has been an issue with every vehicle I have, ever, owned.

Ice is gunna ice as it sees fit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Micra SV manual: 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.8 km/L ... 34.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    This has been an issue with every vehicle I have, ever, owned.

Ice is gunna ice as it sees fit.
    Ice inside the wheel well and forming off of the bottom of the fender liner is completely normal and happens on every single vehicle. I've lived in Northern Canada most of my life and no other vehicle has had chunks of ice forming inside of the paneling impeding door movement and potentially damaging it.

Here are some pics for reference:

Name:  20190228_145454.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  91.1 KB
    Name:  20190228_145506.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  82.1 KB

I'm not referring to ice trailing off the outside of the fenders and forming down towards the ground.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spacewolf For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-22-2019),MrMicra2015 (03-11-2019)

Thanks
    Living in vancouver BC cany say i ever thought that was a "thing"...im climbing out the window duke a hazard next time it snows though ...no liners is probably going to do that...it doesn't even have a vanity mirror for heavens sake!!!!! not a great design though..i guess you cant think of everything ...door block heaters ?..

spray a boatload of lubricating undercoating in there?...maybe the ice wont stick(lubricated)..random thought
    Last edited by MrMicra2015; 03-11-2019 at 10:48 PM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    Living in vancouver BC cany say i ever thought that was a "thing"...im climbing out the window duke a hazard next time it snows though ...no liners is probably going to do that...it doesn't even have a vanity mirror for heavens sake!!!!! not a great design though..i guess you cant think of everything ...door block heaters ?..

spray a boatload of lubricating undercoating in there?...maybe the ice wont stick(lubricated)..random thought
    Snow and ice in Vancouver haaaa.

I was down there in February and it was basically t shirt weather and then had to go back to -40...

I might try some mud guards to see if it helps blocking it from building up in the first place. Worst case scenario my rear hatch and doors get less dirty.

Thanks
    I'm kind of glad to see that I'm not alone on this. I assume that means that this is a design fault, and not a one off thing. The way it's pooling there suggests that it might be a drainage issue.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Aaron GE View Post
    I'm kind of glad to see that I'm not alone on this. I assume that means that this is a design fault, and not a one off thing. The way it's pooling there suggests that it might be a drainage issue.
    I knew I couldn't be the only one! It has to be a design oversight. It happens consistently each winter (2nd winter with it now).

I'm also surprised at how well all the panels line up and the overall finish on my Micra for how cheap it is.
    I don't have a single rattle or panel that is off centre.

My summer car is technically a rebuild so I know what it's like to have slight panel alignment issues that haunt you forever.

Thanks
    Holy cow! spacewolf: I misunderstood your concern until you posted those pics.

I've never seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Aaron GE View Post
    I assume that means that this is a design fault, and not a one off thing. The way it's pooling there suggests that it might be a drainage issue.
    If you sprayed water in there on a warm day, would it stay (or take unusually long time to drain away)?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    That's the million dollar question. I haven't hard the car long enough to have the opportunity to try it out. They way it pools like that, I figure it's getting in there as snow and then melting and refreezing. It really should be draining out of there after the first melt.

Thanks
    Since yours is the first mention of this problem in ~4 years, I suspect this isn't a typical Micra issue.

Did you by chance have the car anti-rust sprayed? Any chance they sprayed a low viscosity fluid in that cavity that could have blocked it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...