Thread: Rawtek exhaust owners: how is it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Question Rawtek exhaust owners: how is it?

Hey guys,

Wouldn't mind owning a sportier Micra. For those that have the exhaust from Rawtek (the Micra Cup exhaust), what are your thoughts for it on a daily driver car?

- Does it sound decent or does it sound like a farty Civic? In videos it seems OK
    - Does it drone at highway speed / 3k RPM?
    - Can three guys and some beer install it?

Rawtek exhaust is on my wishlist but its a bit of a pricey item for me, want to make sure it would be worth it for a daily car.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Hey there, the sound is pretty decent, I like the sounds between 2.5 to 5k, but it is too loud for me. I installed in June last year by myself, it is not difficult to install, just basic tools. the hard part is the OEM spring bolt back to connect Cat and the new pipe.

if you like, I can sell it to you for $200, I am going to change a big family car.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coffee1 View Post
    Hey there, the sound is pretty decent, I like the sounds between 2.5 to 5k, but it is too loud for me. I installed in June last year by myself, it is not difficult to install, just basic tools. the hard part is the OEM spring bolt back to connect Cat and the new pipe.

if you like, I can sell it to you for $200, I am going to change a big family car.
    Oh damn! I am going to PM you for details if you don't mind. I think I met you at CTMP 2018, your Micra looks familiar.
    Last edited by ontario_micra; 02-14-2019 at 10:09 AM. Reason: '18 not '17, didn't have the car then

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ontario_micra View Post
    Oh damn! I am going to PM you for details if you don't mind. I think I met you at CTMP 2018, your Micra looks familiar.
    yeah, I think so, your car was parked at front of mine.

for sure, PM me.

Thanks
    So after meeting with coffee1 a few times, he's sadly trading in his Micra for a family car. But, I've got an intake and exhaust courtesy of him!

Driving his Micra felt like a different car, even though it's our beloved small car with two different parts on it.

I have run into a bit of a snag though concerning the exhaust. I'm wondering if there is something different in the K13 between the years, because what I have doesn't appear to be a direct bolt-on in the way he described his experience. If the exhaust is a direct bolt-on where I think it should be, the newer Micras are being made with a single piece exhaust instead of being held on in pieces (clamps? gaskets? I don't know the words to describe the exhaust system, would appreciate help with this). I think the lack of connection after the cat makes installing this catback hard. Looking at older pictures on this forum is starting to confirm this.

More research is required, will update this thread.

Thanks
    I've attached some brightened pictures showing that mine is all one piece. I'm going to start calling around to shops and seeing about attaching the proper coupling so I can swap back and forth from stock to Rawtek. If I ever need to replace the exhaust in the future as well, I can pull from older or newer Micra, would just need to add a coupling if all newer Micra have the same single piece exhaust system. Should be fun for the warranty, lol.

Cat going towards the back, into what I assume is a resonator or general expansion chamber?

Name:  20190721_184602.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  92.0 KB

The Rawtek parts, the pipes clamp together with a coupling then I am pretty sure it's supposed to connect to the non-existent interface between the cat and the rest of the exhaust. The pipe is backwards, the oval bit connects to the cat gasket then the pipes clamp together on their smooth ends.

Name:  20190721_184004.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  96.0 KB

Thanks
    that's really strange... it's one way to avoid the rusting out issue I had on the cat's flange but to just have is welded together from the flex pipe back seems... just looking at the part numbers that doesn't seem right.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmodon View Post
    that's really strange... it's one way to avoid the rusting out issue I had on the cat's flange but to just have is welded together from the flex pipe back seems... just looking at the part numbers that doesn't seem right.
    So I swung by the dealership on my lunch break.

They only have one exhaust system at the parts counter, it looks the same as every other document for other engines, with a flange after the cat. But I looked at a Micra SR they had on the showroom floor, and its exhaust looked the same as mine, one solid piece. When I tried inquiring about the difference between the P/N and the production models he didn't really know anything. He mentioned something about having to do a muffler install recently but I didn't catch whether or not it was a newer model or not. If it was a newer model, I can't see how the dealership would service that system without having to send it down the road to a muffler shop.

Pic of SR underside, left is the cat, right is the resonator out to the back becaues the forum messess up pictures:

Name:  20190722_124116(1).jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  89.0 KB
    Last edited by ontario_micra; 07-22-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added a picture.

Thanks
    here is the cat picture under my 2016 micra SV
    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  14.6 KB

you may think about get old model cat pipe from junk yard?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coffee1 View Post
    here is the cat picture under my 2016 micra SV

you may think about get old model cat pipe from junk yard?
    That's a good idea! Can provide it to the shop to take the flanges and add them to my stock system so I can swap around stock and Rawtek.

Gonna try and get in touch with junkyards this week or the next.