Thread: Looking at buying a Micra: Anyone have 2017+ models with rod knock in HR16DE engine?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Looking at buying a Micra: Anyone have 2017+ models with rod knock in HR16DE engine?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I just test drove a 2017 Micra 5 speed and I loved it. It is such a blast to drive.

I'm pretty concerned because of reports of the HR 16DE engine developing rod knock, even at low mileage. In this thread https://micra-forum.com/showthread.p...HR16DE-solved) there don't appear to have been any reports of engine issues in 2017 plus models. I'm still pretty nervous about buying the car. Its a good deal, but it is still a lot of money for me. I know that not all engines develop this problem, even in the older models, but knowing my luck, I'd end up with a winner.

I was wondering if anyone has had, or seen reports of the rod knock issue in 2017 model year+ Micras? If you guys could help me out on this, that would be awesome. I'd love to be a Micra owner myself. Thanks!

Thanks
    Hi Jesse - welcome to the forum!

I haven't seen any reports of engine issues around here for a long time. Kind of suggests the problem has been addressed by Nissan in manufacturing, doesn't it?

One thing I would do is check out the U.S. based Versa forum.

Both the Versa sedan and Note use the exact same hr16de engine as the Micra and are made in the same factory, but those models sell in the thousands per month in the States vs. hundreds of Micras per month in Canada. So if there are still problems with some of the motors, you'd think people would be talking about it there, right?

https://www.nissanversaforums.com/forum.php

If you do check that out, let us know what you find (or don't find).

Darin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Jesse (02-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanks Darin,
    I hadn't thought of looking at the Versa forum. I will check that out tonight and let you know what I find. Hopefully nothing!

Thanks
    Also - not sure if that's the biggest/busiest forum where you'll find the info you're after. It's just the one that came to mind - there might be others.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Darin, I checked out the Versa forums. Still a fair number of reports of rod knock in 2016 model year cars, but I could only find one report of anyone having this issue 2017+. Someone with a 2018 Versa sedan had his HR16DE engine replaced at 8720mi. He believes that his replacement engine is making the same sound 500 miles in.

It is definitely encouraging to see a huge reduction in the number of reports.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Thanks for reporting back.

Let us know what you do!