Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to purchase a Micra, quick question for current owners (about auto trans.)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Looking to purchase a Micra, quick question for current owners (about auto trans.)

Hi,

So I'm from the Southwest Ontario area and looking to test drive a Micra. It appears that the two local Nissan dealers around me don't really carry any proper Micras on hand. By proper I mean with a 5MT.

I asked several sales associates why this is the case and was told that they don't sell them at a high rate. Alright, sounds fair and reasonable for the North American market. After pricing one out, I was shocked to see how much people are paying to opt for an automatic transmission!

At the time, base MSRP was around $9 988 and it was close to $15 000 with an automatic transmission. Are people ACTUALLY paying 50% more just to have a 90s automatic transmission? Remember guys, this isn't a high end, high efficiency automatic transmission, it is a very old spec 4 (FOUR!) speed slushbox.

My question for you guys, excluding those who are handicapped or elderly, what was your reason to purchase/lease one with an automatic transmission? Availability? Inexperience?

Thanks
    I bought my Micra S (manual transmission) last spring. I had hard time finding one since they were all sold already. A dealer from Ottawa found a 2017 one in the Toronto compound. Great car for the price, they should sell them by pack of 6.

I believe that automatic transmission is only big in north America (a cultural preference), really sad IMO.

Thanks
    I bought a 2018 this year in the spring. I had to change my colour from black to grey to get the SV 5MT as stock was apparently limited in Southern Ontario.

My only reason for getting an AT would be that my partner doesn't know how to drive a manual. But honestly, if you're just looking for a basic car, and you're not an enthusiest, an AT Micra is perfect. I see them everywhere where I live. Young and old driving them.

Thanks
    Welcome, Notsojdmgc4!

I'm with you - I love manual transmissions.

More engaging, cheaper, more reliable, better fuel economy (yes, even when the automatic has an equal or better rating, the manual can still easily beat it in the real world).

One thing the automatic has going for it is the engine RPM is much lower at highway speeds:
    Gear ratios: 2015 Micra transmission, 5-speed & automatic

That makes for a quieter, less hectic experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsojdmgc4 View Post
    I asked several sales associates why this is the case and was told that they don't sell them at a high rate. Alright, sounds fair and reasonable for the North American market.
    That may be true in general, but forum members LOVE their manual transmissions here. In the overall population, manual transmission sales are somewhere in the low single digit percentages, but it's in the high single digits for the Micra, according to some sales stats provided by Nissan.

And check this out - the love for the manual here is STRONG:

Transmissions (out of 297 stated)

• 183 (62%) manual transmissions, down from 67%
    • 114 (38%) automatics, up from 33%

From Thread: Micra Garage stats overview... forum members love their 5-speeds, SR's and base S's

After pricing one out, I was shocked to see how much people are paying to opt for an automatic transmission!
    Yeah, that's the usual bait & switch for base model cars in Canada. The two most popular options are automatic transmission and air conditioning. To get AC or automatic in the "$10k econobox club" (Micra, Spark, Mirage), you have to opt for a package that bumps the base price up by 30% or more.

Did you know you can technically still order a base, 5-speed, manual transmission 2019 Honda Civic, Mazda 3 or Toyota Corolla without A/C? Of course you'll never find one on a dealer's lot. They only make a few so they can advertise the low monthly payments of the base trim, then up-sell people when they get to the dealership!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    PS: some automakers are dropping the manual entirely, and not just higher end cars. You can't get a manual Versa Note in the U.S. any more.
    Thread: Not So ‘Standard’ Anymore: The Manual Transmission is Almost Dead

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    You can't get a manual Versa Note in the U.S. any more.
    Last summer I wanted a red 5speed Versa Note. I phoned more than 30 dealers until I found one that took the time to find one for me, they had it transported 300 km from another dealer. I drove 500 km to pick it up. If I had waited for the 2019's I wouldn't be able to get a red one.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tomcj2 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    Dying breed!

Thanks
    Thanks for the responses guys!

Yeah, I understand that other manufacturers are phasing manual transmissions out. In their cases, such as BMW, Audi & Toyota, they are providing a strong automatic transmission with at least 6 speeds. If I were to buy look into a 2 or 4 series BMW, an automatic costs an additional $1 500 - $2 000...about 5% of the total vehicle's value.

Another example of this is the Nissan Frontier...a modest increase in price for a durable automatic transmission.

Name:  FrontierTransmission.JPG
Views: 828
Size:  55.8 KB

And others..

Name:  BMWM240iTransmission.JPG
Views: 916
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  BMW440iTransmission.JPG
Views: 737
Size:  26.5 KB

Name:  ToyotaYarisTransmission.JPG
Views: 1057
Size:  34.3 KB

But when it comes to the Micra, it's an additional 4 grand! That is a HUGE amount of cash for something outdated and it definitely is not worth the extra money!

Are you beginning to see what I'm trying to get at?
    Last edited by Notsojdmgc4; 12-27-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks
    i believe the manual does not sell well

i bought a 2015 manual in 2016 for 9998, + NO additional 1600 + tax=11,200 Out the door.

in a few years will crumple into a ball and dispose....or keep forever!!!!!

i never saw that deal again (because literally i would have bought another)

but keep looking i guess...my dealer seemed to have ALL the manuals....a bush had grown into the rear wiper of the 3 he had..didnt buy white "bushy" because the wiper nearly ripped off when he drove it out the bush..... didnt buy grey "dead battery with window green mold"..but bought "grey ...starty right away"....right away!

this is the cheapest car....you should see how much AC adds...you could buy half a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Notsojdmgc4 View Post

But when it comes to the Micra, it's an additional 4 grand!

Are you beginning to see what I'm trying to get at?
    I still argue that the Micra (Spark & Mirage) are unique cases. The base model is intentionally unusually cheap, at ~$10k. There is no equivalent ultra-cheap base model in the other examples you posted (eg. so cheap they have manual locks, wind-up windows and NO air conditioning).

I think a more valid comparison would be the cost of automatic vs. manual in the Micra SV trim. I haven't priced it, but I bet it's around a $1k difference, like the Yaris. The Yaris does not offer a stripped-down $10k starter version.