Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to purchase a Micra, quick question for current owners (about auto trans.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    a bush had grown into the rear wiper of the 3 he had..didnt buy white "bushy" because the wiper nearly ripped off when he drove it out the bush..... didnt buy grey "dead battery with window green mold"..but bought "grey ...starty right away"....right away!
    That was funny.

Thanks for the chuckle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    it gave new meaning to :......"you have 3 to choose from "

i really didnt....eventually the white, bush attached, plastic film to protect paint in tatters one did dissapear from the storage lot ....it literally looked thrashed...even the salesman said...."sometimes it seems nobody cares"!!

but i've never seen 3 base S's for that price ever again.....i think they knew they werent in perfect condition, they looked WORSE than a used car.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    I would suggest test driving both versions before deciding. I did drive an SV manual & didnt like the shifter position as it seems too low & far back. To be fair I also own a Mazda MX5 with 5 speed & the shifter position is pretty much perfect.
    The clutch effort is light (good) but the deal killer was the engine ran roughly 500 RPM higher at 100 KMH. Where I live its quite hilly
    & the Automatic is nice for stop & go traffic. It may be old technology but its also very smooth shifting, no dual clutches etc to fail like on Fiesta's.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Notsojdmgc4 View Post
    Hi,

So I'm from the Southwest Ontario area and looking to test drive a Micra. It appears that the two local Nissan dealers around me don't really carry any proper Micras on hand. By proper I mean with a 5MT.

I asked several sales associates why this is the case and was told that they don't sell them at a high rate. Alright, sounds fair and reasonable for the North American market. After pricing one out, I was shocked to see how much people are paying to opt for an automatic transmission!

At the time, base MSRP was around $9 988 and it was close to $15 000 with an automatic transmission. Are people ACTUALLY paying 50% more just to have a 90s automatic transmission? Remember guys, this isn't a high end, high efficiency automatic transmission, it is a very old spec 4 (FOUR!) speed slushbox.

My question for you guys, excluding those who are handicapped or elderly, what was your reason to purchase/lease one with an automatic transmission? Availability? Inexperience?
    Yes, the difference is about $4000 msrp to go from stick S to auto S. If you take into account that includes AC and cruise as well, that extra $4K is probably about $1000 too much - but the stick S almost never has rebates or low rate financing , whereas the auto S usually does - so actual $1000 overpricing on auto S in reality is negligible.

Thanks
    I got the auto as I have an issue with my left leg. However, after 4 years with the car I was done with it. Always regretted getting the 4speed slush box. I wish it was either CVT or an auto with a manual mode. I dumped the car and got a Golf with 5speed. Absolutely love the car and stick version is one of the main reasons. I don’t like it all the time with my leg issues but I really don’t regret manual over auto. Forget the Micra. Buy a Golf!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 8.0 L/100 km ... 35.4 mpg (Imp) ... 12.5 km/L ... 29.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    I got the auto as I have an issue with my left leg. However, after 4 years with the car I was done with it. Always regretted getting the 4speed slush box. I wish it was either CVT or an auto with a manual mode. I dumped the car and got a Golf with 5speed. Absolutely love the car and stick version is one of the main reasons. I don’t like it all the time with my leg issues but I really don’t regret manual over auto. Forget the Micra. Buy a Golf!
    It's really not comparable at all though. The Golf starts at 22,5.

The Versa Note S comes with more cargo room, 5MT and AC for 14,6k in base form (worse power to weight though if that matters).
    If you want to upgrade to the CVT it's 15,9. A 1300$ premium but you get a modern CVT at least.
    The 2019 (and I think even 2018) Note S models come with the 7" head unit and backup camera.

However, they are lacking: power locks, power windows, cruise control, extended sun visors with mirrors,
    6 way adjustable driver seat, driver's arm rest.

If manual is a priority my vote would be for the Micra SV 5MT, it's 15,7 which falls just under the Note S with CVT.
    The SV Micra has every one of those lacking features on the Note S.

If automatic is a priority, the Note S + CVT makes the most sense. I think some people have added PL/PW to their base Micras on this forum. Should be relatively simple down the road as those are the only features I personally can't live without in a new car. YMMV.

Thanks
    I am leasing a 2018 SV Micra 4 speed auto. I have had it about 6 months now. I am kicking myself for getting the auto... I wish it was a CVT, or I should have just got the manual... it would have been more fun to drive. The CVT would have helped it get better gas mileage that's for sure. Such a small, light car you would think it would get way better gas mileage than it actually does.
    Small cars from the 90s were getting 40-45mpg at least (Geo Metro, etc). I am getting about 30mpg on average highway/city combined. I just don't get it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Micra SV automatic: 7.3 L/100 km ... 38.7 mpg (Imp) ... 13.7 km/L ... 32.2 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I have 2015 Micra SR white 5 speed manual with just above 5000 kilometers park in the garage with a CTEK charger, had a fresh oil change and tire rotation before we stored it. Hand brake lever down and chalk the tires. Never winter driven with no scratches or dents. Interior and trunk gets WeatherTech all around. We basically use the Micra as a spare car.

PM if you are interested thanks!
    Last edited by Micra123; 01-15-2019 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMicra18 View Post
    I am leasing a 2018 SV Micra 4 speed auto. I have had it about 6 months now. I am kicking myself for getting the auto... I wish it was a CVT, or I should have just got the manual... it would have been more fun to drive. The CVT would have helped it get better gas mileage that's for sure. Such a small, light car you would think it would get way better gas mileage than it actually does.
    Small cars from the 90s were getting 40-45mpg at least (Geo Metro, etc). I am getting about 30mpg on average highway/city combined. I just don't get it.
    I wouldn't buy a used car with a 4 speed AT even if it was 10 years old. The 1 extra gear in a traditional AT makes a HUGE difference.

The Micra weighs about 300-700lbs heavier than those late 80s/early 90s beaters. Not to mention they had zero safety features and abysmal crash ratings, they were ODB1 (if that) and were terrible emissions wise even though they had 1.0L inline3s -> 1.6 inline4s but they did have the same 4ATs...

I love my manual Micra but I really dont see the point in buying one with AT and paying the large difference alongside getting only a 4 speed. It just doesn't make sense over the Versa Note and now even the Kicks.

Thanks
    Definitely love my 2016 red Micra but it lacks a 6th gear. In Canada we get a 1.6 liter (not a 1.2l) which is powerful enough for a 6th speed manual trans.
    I got my Micra Base with a 1800$ rebate on a 3 year rent. There was no rebate when buying the car. Paid 8200$ + 1600$ delivery fees and taxes. I sold my 2012 Wrangler Rubicon and got a Micra which is being paid (and more) with the money from the gas I am not burning anymore. Nice thing to I can tow it behind a small RV without electric wiring modification to the car.