Thread: Shifting problems when cold

Thanks

Shifting problems when cold

Hi I have a 2015 SV Auto with 58,000km. This is the first winter having the car and I am noticing now that it is winter that the car won't shift into fourth gear under normal driving when the car is cold or for the first few km.

Normally the transmission will shift into 4th around 60km but when it is cold it hangs in 3rd. Once the car is warmer or higher speeds are achieved then it will shift no problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum, LJ2015!

What you describe is a feature, not a bug. It's designed to hold gears longer than usual when cold to help get the drivetrain and catalytic converter up to temperature faster.

If you have an outlet available, using your block heater will help. Also i5'll get the cabin warmer sooner, reduce wear, and help fuel economy a little. See thread: Use your Micra's block heater: save fuel, reduce wear, be more comfortable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Ajijic (12-05-2018),LJ2015 (12-04-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome to the forum, LJ2015!

What you describe is a feature, not a bug. It's designed to hold gears longer than usual when cold to help get the drivetrain and catalytic converter up to temperature faster.

If you have an outlet available, using your block heater will help. Also i5'll get the cabin warmer sooner, reduce wear, and help fuel economy a little. See thread: Use your Micra's block heater: save fuel, reduce wear, be more comfortable.
    Thank you for the answer.

That is great to hear that it is not a issue with the transmission.