Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack points and jack stand locations?

Thanks

Jack points and jack stand locations?

Hey forum,

Grabbed some winter tires off Kijiji (Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Tire, barely used on factory rims), and went about installing them. Turns out, the front is heavier than the back, and I bent my jack point because I put my Motomaster jack right on the tab instead of right behind it. Lucky for me this is invisible to anyone looking at the car. Still feels bad since I did it.

I found a safe spot for jack stands on the rear, but not at the front. Couldn't get the car up high enough to fit the stands under either. Anyone have any tips? I'll follow up with some pictures.

Thanks
    i did the same thing, i bought some rubber pieces like hockey puck with slot from ebay for like 3 dollars , they seem ...OK...they dont bend the crap out of the jacking point anymore...hade to make slot a bit wider, tried replicating with wood but wood cracked.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    i did the same thing, i bought some rubber pieces like hockey puck with slot from ebay for like 3 dollars , they seem ...OK...they dont bend the crap out of the jacking point anymore...hade to make slot a bit wider, tried replicating with wood but wood cracked.
    Ever use jack stands on the micra? I'm not that familiar with cars in general, so looking underneath I don't know what part is safe or what will bend.

Thanks
    I jack under the rear shock and use the K frame at the front.
    Last edited by Pete; 12-18-2018 at 07:04 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-28-2018),MrMicra2015 (11-28-2018)

Thanks
    anything "solid" like a suspension member, be wary of stamped steel and dont crush a brake line..like PETE says....

Universal 2Pcs 5cm Slotted Frame Rail Floor Jack Guard Adapter Lift Rubber Pads
    ITEM PRICE:
    US $5.53

dont worry...no commission lol
    Last edited by MrMicra2015; 11-28-2018 at 12:17 AM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-28-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I jack under the rear shock and use the sub frame at the front.
    Thanks Pete, I was able to figure out the shock point on the back by myself. I'm still unfamiliar with car terms, and have been using jimwilly's underside pictures from the forum as reference: Link here.

The sub-frame is the black bit of steel that the control arms bolt into? I don't think I was able to visually identify a shock point when I had the car up. I just worked quickly on the jack to get my damn tires on. The Micra is a little low for my jack stands so once I find a good, safe jack point I can experiment. I wonder if a garage jack would be better than my little hydraulic jack.

anything "solid" like a suspension member, be wary of stamped steel and dont crush a brake line..like PETE says....
    Thanks MrMicra, I'll take a look locally for some of those pucks. Also gotta figure out how to un-crush my pinch weld now .

Thanks
    probably expensive locally.

i put a bunch of rustproofing over the munched pinch weld
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    Feb 2015 build

Thanks

Universal 2Pcs 5cm Slotted Frame Rail Floor Jack Guard Adapter Lift Rubber Pads
    ITEM PRICE:
    US $5.53

dont worry...no commission lol
    Thanks for the tip, my motomaster jack also bent the spot under my micra, what poor crafstmanship. Since that time, I always use the jack that came with the car and it doesn't bent it anymore but it's such a hassle to use that one.

Thanks
    Did you buy one of these models:

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  7.1 KB

Name:  Capture2.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  7.5 KB

I saw some reviews online saying these will crack or are too soft but unsure about your experience and which model you got.

Thanks!

Thanks
    yes they were pretty cheap online..like 5 dollars and i had to saw one a bit wider (cant remeber for the micra or my other car) and yes i think one did develop a crack, but i am NOT dissatisfied with them. .....you could cut a slot in a hockey puck?

mine look more like the bottom picture....the top picture looks better if its not much more $ the bottom side has to fit inside your jack cup...some jack cups are smaller than others, i had to do a bit of sanding to get it to fit, i think it cracked because i hadnt done that...the load was not equally distributed. i have 2 slightly different jacks, it allows me to jack up one side at a time ...or the endire front...or the entire back...for 20 dollars for the 2nd jack it makes things seem faster when i change tires ...and it doesnt "wrack" the car...ie twist it...i dont like doing that

note...if your using the scissor jack that came with the car...try a double layer of bicycle inner tube...my experience is with hydraulic floor jacks only, not the OEM jack

Jacks are such an interesting subject!

Last edited by MrMicra2015; 12-14-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    Feb 2015 build