Thread: Sayonara $9988 Micra! MSRP now starts at $10,488. Spark is cheaper.

Thanks

Sayonara $9988 Micra! MSRP now starts at $10,488. Spark is cheaper.

Name:  micra-price-2018.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  33.6 KB

A brief history of the Micra's "under $10k" pricing...

-- When the Micra came out in 2014 as a 2015 model, Nissan shocked the Canadian entry level market with a base MSRP of $9998. It was a brilliant move -- it probably generated millions of dollars worth of free press.

-- A few years later, Chevrolet undercut the Micra's price by $3, starting the redesigned Spark at $9995. (Thread: 2016 Chevrolet Spark is now Canada’s cheapest new car)

--
    Nissan retaliated almost immediately to defend its "cheapest car in Canada" crown, beating the Spark by $7, down to $9988.

The Micra held on to that price until mid-2018, when new rules requiring back-up cameras came into effect (Back-up cameras mandatory on all new cars for 2018, says Transport Canada )

After adding the backup camera and fancy entertainment system (although with only 2 speakers on the S), Nissan decided a base Micra is now $10,488.

Name:  spark-price-2018.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  40.6 KB

As of today, the Spark is still listed starting at $9995.The Mirage starts at $10,998 (though it almost always has a $1000 factory cash discount, making it effectively $9998).

This may explain why the Spark has overtaken the Micra in sales in each of the last 4 months for which we have numbers (GM is only releasing quarterly sales stats now).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

MrMicra2015 (11-17-2018)

Thanks
    k, i'm trading in the micra and buying a Spark!!!...lol....never driven a spark...i wonder which is TRULY better?

good writeup BTW!
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    I've never driven a Spark either. I meant to - I even went and sat in one at the dealer (they put one in the showroom when they announced the $9995 pricing).

Based on the reviews I've seen, the concensus seemed to be: Micra is more fun and the Spark is more refined.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I took a spark out for a drive before i bought the micra. The micra with its bigger engine has more getup and go. And the interior is also slightly roomier
    Im 5’11. when the driver seat is set up for me in the spark and i try to sit on the back seat. My knees were wedged in the back of the front seat. In the micra, i have an inch of space between my knees and the seat back.
    The interior and entertainment system of the base Spark was in my opinion far superior than the base micra.
    Personally i like exterior of the micra better than the spark.

The deal breaker for me was that spark, with the same base price. Was gona cost me nearly 1600$ more after taxes and fees.
    The chevrolet dealer wanted me to pay the air conditioned tax / fee. Even know there was no ac. The nissan dealer also gave me a discount for paying in full, something the chevrolet dealer didnt want to give me.

Thanks
    The chevrolet dealer wanted me to pay the air conditioned tax / fee.

LOL thats insane!!!

i remember after buying my civic and negotiating, they asked if i wanted to pay the documentation fee, i said no....nice of them to check though....when i bought the micra i paid by check....they freaked out and were quite rude saying you cant buy an orange with a check...unfortunately the insurance agent had already put the car in my name before all that...they took the check...never saw them again!!

everyone is such a scammer!!

i always wanted the micra...never even sat in a spark...i think the micra looks better,,,barely
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Groleau View Post
    The micra with its bigger engine has more getup and go. And the interior is also slightly roomier
    One thing that surprised me about the Spark: it only has 4 seatbelts. Micra has 5.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The Spark was a quieter car and the solar reflecting glass made the car quite a bit cooler in the summer than the Micra. However when I flipped the back seat down in the Spark I had to shove the driver seat all the way forward. Not a comfortable driving position for sure. And then there was the CVT which I didn't trust. I am glad I chose the Micra.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    One thing that surprised me about the Spark: it only has 4 seatbelts. Micra has 5.
    Yes that was an other big difference. I. Doubt youll ever squeese 3 adults back there, but ive had 3 kids sitting there.