Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Recall: ignition switch issue could stop the engine while driving

Thanks

2017/18 Recall: ignition switch issue could stop the engine while driving

Nissan Recalls 166,000 Vehicles in North America Over Ignition Switch Snafu

Nissan is recalling roughly 166,000 vehicles due to an ignition switch issue that could cause the vehicle’s engine to shut off while driving. The automaker said 153,000 of the recalled units are in the United States, with another 13,000 in Canada.

Nissan has requested that drivers remove all objects from their vehicle’s keyring (extra keys, comically heavy keychains, etc).

According to Transport Canada, select Nissan vehicles equipped with a mechanical key ignition system utilize a spring that could wear and break, allowing the ignition to inadvertently move from the on position to the accessory position.

The company explained it was issuing a voluntary recall campaign on certain MY2017-2018 Juke, Frontier, Sentra, Versa, Versa Note, Micra, NV, NV200, and Taxi models. Those units are to be to inspected and, if necessary, have the mechanical key ignition switch assembly replaced.
    Article: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/08/nissan-recalls-166000-vehicles-in-north-america-over-ignition-switch-snafu/

Another article: http://canada.autonews.com/article/2...switch-problem

Transport Canada details:

Transport Canada Recall # 2018440

Recall Date 2018/08/22
    Notification Type Safety Mfr
    System Electrical
    Manufacturer Recall Number
    Units Affected 13,223
    Category Car, Light Truck & Van, Truck - Med. & H.D.
    Recall Details
    On certain vehicles equipped with a mechanical key ignition system, a spring in the ignition switch could wear and break. This may allow the ignition key to inadvertently move from the ON position to the accessory (ACC) position while driving, causing the engine to shut off and the airbag system to lose power. The resulting loss of motive power, and change in steering and brake forces could increase the risk of a crash causing injury and/or damage to property. Additionally, in the event of a crash, this may also cause the airbags not to function. Correction: Dealers will inspect the lot number of the ignition switch, and replace it with a new one if it is affected. Note: Until the correction is performed, owners are advised to remove all objects from the ignition key ring, such as additional keys, key chains, etc.
    Make Model Model Year(s) Affected
    NISSAN FRONTIER 2017 2018
    NISSAN MICRA 2017 2018
    NISSAN NV1500 2017
    NISSAN NV200 2017
    NISSAN NV2500 2017
    NISSAN NV3500 2017
    NISSAN SENTRA 2017
    NISSAN VERSA NOTE 2017 2018
    Manufacturer Name Toll Free Number Web Site
    NISSAN 1-855-835-3854 CHECK IF THIS RECALL APPLIES TO YOUR VEHICLE
    http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...f=SearchResult

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Gosh darnit.

Well I am due for an oil change so might as well get two birds stoned at once.

Thanks
    Thank for letting us know I will have to fix it as soon as I get my oil changed

Thanks
    I find it comical that the reasoning is a faulty spring that can break, but their interim fix is from the Chrysler and Toyota ignition issue of keys being tipped by weight

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    i went to the dealer today and they knew nothing about it. not very good.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by turp View Post
    i went to the dealer today and they knew nothing about it. not very good.
    I am assuming that your location "nl" means The Netherlands?

Our Micra are made in the Mexico plant, perhaps the Dutch source theirs from another plant. You guys also have the new K14 Micra while we are still on K13 this model year 2018.

Thanks
    Newfoundland in this case!

Welcome to the forum, turp.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I stopped by the dealership today while booking an oil change. They have not been made aware of any recall from Nissan Canada, they have several areas in their terminal that would display such a thing, and the only open contracts on my car were my warranty and service contracts. No recalls that the lead there has been made aware of.

Anyone else drop by their dealership and ask? I am going to find time to visit the other Nissan dealership in town and ask them as well to cover the bases.

Thanks
    You could try the VIN lookup on Nissan's site to see if it applies to your car:

NISSAN RECALL LOOKUP

Using your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), you can quickly establish if there are any recalls specific to your Nissan.
    Enter your 17-digit Nissan VIN:

https://nna.secure.force.com/support...n?recallLookup

Thanks
    That link won't recognise my VIN as a Nissan vehicle.

This one did:

https://www.nissanusa.com/recalls-vin/#/#/Home

and other than failing to recognise the Micra as the model (just shows "2018 Nissan"), no recalls showed up.