Thread: New Nissan Kicks (stupid name, I know) engine specs and part differences?

Thanks

New Nissan Kicks (stupid name, I know) engine specs and part differences?

So my local Nissan dealer has a Kicks on the lot and I was doing some digging on prices and specs just out of curiousity.

HR16DE
    125hp @5800
    115lb-ft @4000
    9.8:1 (allegedly)
    CVT Only

I haven't been able to find any proper specs on internals or a verified compression ratio.

It would be nice if it was in the valvetrain where they got the extra power but I'm willing to bet it's the CVT only and a very specific tuning. Probably a better intake and exhaust setup as well.

Actually it appears to have a much beefier stock intake and the throttle body is definitely different:
    Name:  Nissan_Kicks-_45.jpg
Views: 3182
Size:  98.3 KB

Also, it doesn't really make sense to me where the Kicks is even supposed to fit in to their lineup..
    The thing that makes the most sense is maybe the North American K14 Micra that we'll never get?
    It has all of the same features, interior quality and smart tech as the K14 but CVT only as opposed to only manual...

Thanks
    I'm assuming that it is directly replacing the Juke as the intro utility vehicle. The safety and intelligence features between this and the Qashqai look the same or similar but the Qashqai gets the MR20DD engine.
    Last edited by ontario_micra; 07-03-2018 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ontario_micra View Post
    I'm assuming that it is directly replacing the Juke as the intro utility vehicle. The safety and intelligence features between this and the Qashqai look the same or similar but the Qashqai gets the MR20DD engine.
    It seems like an excuse to use the MR16DDT supply in the Sentra sedan while cutting costs across the board. The Juke sold because it was compact, powerful, efficient and came with an AWD option (everyone I know with one bought it because AWD).

I'm actually pretty surprised the Kicks is on the V platform as well. However, it looks like when/if we get a 2nd gen Juke it's going to be on the CMF-B platform.

I'm getting the impression that the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance is turning into another Toyota (without the reliability).
    They've gotten so big that they're settling and cost cutting across the board to make efficient but boring vehicles that tailor to people seeking appliances.

In essence the Kicks is the antithesis of the Micra but with the same powerplant.

Thanks
    I wish 'Murica didn't have such a heavy impact on our buying choices. It would be lovely to see sedans shrink in sales and more focus and care on hatchbacks/crossovers/CUVs. I think the Qashqai should've gotten the MR16DDT and not the Sentra sedan but I'm assuming they didn't want to cannibalize Rogue sales too much and the aging Sentra has to compete with the new Civic variants.

I may have gotten a 6MT Qashqai if it had a more powerful engine to compensate for the extra vehicle (that I didn't need). No manufacturers in North America seem to want to up the bar in that segment to compete. The HRV, Qashqai, CX-3, C-HR, Crosstrek, Trax/Encore are all fine being perfectly mediocre. Refinement is on the rise which is a nice step forward but that generally means they're just cramming the cabin with buzzword-y tech.

Thanks
    I managed to snap a few terrible pics of the engine bay on the Kicks here. It was already sold and I only had my potato cellphone on me so excuse the quality.

Name:  IMG_20180704_124840.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20180704_124907.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  95.4 KB

Thanks
    Name:  kicks_IM.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  94.7 KB

MANIFOLD ASSY-INTAKE
    Part Number: 140015RL0A
    Qty per Vehicle: 1
    This part will fit your vehicle if it
    matches the configuration below:
    Fits Year Range: 04/01/2018 to 07/13/2019

MSRP
    $409.58

It looks like this intake manifold utilizes VIAS which is not present on the Micra.
    It uses an actuator power valve to change the intake manifold profile.

I used to have a similar technology in my K20A3 Honda engine (they call it IMRC - Intake Manifold Runner Control). It's probably how the Kicks gets the extra torque and peak HP at lower RPMs.

Good system for it's intended use but makes it impossible to use for any sort of swap or modifications/tuning.

Here's the Micra intake manifold for comparison:
    Name:  micra_IM.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  93.6 KB

Exhaust Manifold Kicks:
    Name:  kicks_EX.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  90.1 KB

Micra
    Name:  micra_EX.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  81.6 KB

Last edited by spacewolf; 07-13-2018 at 06:33 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to spacewolf For This Useful Post:

ontario_micra (07-16-2018)