Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather wrapped my steering wheel

Thanks

Leather wrapped my steering wheel

After looking at a bunch of different options (buying an SR wheel, getting a juke/370z wheel + airbag etc) and the costs associated, I decided to take a chance and manually wrap the SV wheel with one of the Mewant kits.
    They are available from many sources (Amazon, ebay, aliexpress, buyee, etc). I ordered mine through their eBay store.
    Shipping was much faster than expected as it shipped from a warehouse in Ontario. The seller was great to work with and followed up with links to their how-to videos and other info. I specified dark grey thread in the purchase notes.

It came with everything necessary to do the job: leather/pleather trim, thimble, needle, two rolls of dark grey thread, double sided tape and instructions. I have next to zero sewing experience and this being my first attempt at anything like this took about 2.5h. If I were to do it again it would take about half that time.

I contemplated ditching the included double sided tape and picking up some 3M adhesive spray which is what I used on my door and hatch panel upholstery but the rest of the can I had leaked in storage...

If I were to do it over again, I would line it up a few times and get used to pulling it on/off the wheel efficiently and then use adhesive spray.

Overall, for the price (I paid 38$ for the pleather version) I'm very happy with the results. Fitment was almost perfect.
    The only issue I have is that the leather on the back of the bottom spoke is a bit loose and on the front there is a slight wrinkling. This could easily be fixed with a minor trim, using the adhesive spray and being better at sewing.

I started to stitch it at the bottom inside on the center spoke, working my way up to the right spoke and then starting from the other side of the bottom spoke and working my way up the left spoke and then across the top in one stitch.

I would recommend starting two sets of threads on the bottom at the same time working your way down from the centre and towards the left and right spokes. This way you can tighten up the material down there and see how it will really sit. If there's too much fabric after pulling both sides through a few times, back it off and trim accordingly. You could definitely get a 100% perfect fit that way.

Name:  IMG_20180624_210114.jpg
Views: 3917
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20180624_210048.jpg
Views: 3228
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20180625_141537.jpg
Views: 3690
Size:  69.6 KB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spacewolf For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-25-2019)

Thanks
    Actually looks pretty good to me. Nice job.

Thanks
    Thanks!

I was more worried about the overall fitment and stitch work than material quality (which is one of the reasons why I didn't pay 60$ for the "real" leather kit) but I was surprised by all of the above. It really feels premium when I get in and grab the wheel and my only gripe is the slight wrinkle in my own sewing installation.

With the SV wheel already having cruise and audio controls, the perforated and non-perforated pleather give it a much sportier look/feel and make the steering wheel controls look less out of place IMHO.

One benefit of using the double sided tape instead of spray adhesive is that if it turns out not to hold up well over time, it'd be fairly simple to remove. However, it sits EXTREMELY snug, you do need to put some muscle into it when sewing it together but aside from the back of the bottom spoke I would say fitment is a 10/10, 9/10 overall factoring that in.

Thanks
    sweet - this looks nice! so dumb question....do you need adhesive at all? would there be enough tension to hold in place with just the threading?
    I'd like the look, but really, i'm thinking in 2 years the leather will wear in a couple spots, or if it gets gooey from kids, etc, that i can easy pull off and not have the glue to deal with on the stock wheel..

too bad they don't have the matching gear shift leather wrap kit too..
    Last edited by Graham18ce; 06-29-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    --

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.6 L/100 km ... 43.0 mpg (Imp) ... 15.2 km/L ... 35.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham18ce View Post
    sweet - this looks nice! so dumb question....do you need adhesive at all? would there be enough tension to hold in place with just the threading?
    I'd like the look, but really, i'm thinking in 2 years the leather will wear in a couple spots, or if it gets gooey from kids, etc, that i can easy pull off and not have the glue to deal with on the stock wheel..

too bad they don't have the matching gear shift leather wrap kit too..
    Honestly, you could probably get away without it, it sews up pretty tight. Might be harder to line it up and keep it lined up without the double sided tape or adhesive. However, I don't think the double sided tape would be hard to remove even in a couple years time.

I was thinking the same thing, I don't have kids but if it doesn't hold up to all the abuse it would be relatively easy to haul off and maybe then I'd upgrade to the real leather one now that I know how well it fits and feels and how to sew it.

Since I've wrapped my wheel I've been looking for an OEM style upgrade to our shift knob. The Nismo one is not bad but it's insanely overpriced. I currently have a PasswordJDM 370Z knob and have already threaded my shifter to the OEM Nissan thread pitch (M10x1.25). It turns out Mazda also uses the same thread pitch on their shifters.

Here's the one I'm looking at ordering to match the steering wheel:
    Name:  Leather_Gear_Knob__with_Aluminium_Trim_large.jpg
Views: 3238
Size:  18.3 KB
    It comes in 5 speed or 6 speed.

It also comes in piano black
    Name:  MY9gUDC.jpg
Views: 2952
Size:  45.3 KB

It is a genuine OEM upgrade and I believe it is manufactured in the UK for the 2003-2007 Mazda6.

Thanks
    Which kit did you order? Link?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoedhard View Post
    Which kit did you order? Link?
    Exact one I ordered:
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DIY-Black-Le...53.m2749.l2649

Manufacturer Part Number: CAR027701
    Brand Name: MEWANT
    External Testing Certification: ISO9001
    Material Type: Artificial Leather(PU)
    Leather Color: Black
    Sewing Thread Color: Red
    Feature: Dedicated car steering wheel cover
    Installation: Hand Sewing(DIY)
    Attachment: Needle,thread,double sided tape,yellow small blade.
    Place of origin: Chongqing,China

IF YOU DON'T REQUEST A THREAD COLOR THE DEFAULT WILL BE RED ALREADY SEWN IN.

Leather Option:
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DIY-Leather-...0AAOSwlndZEDWa

Manufacturer Part Number: CAR0277
    Material Type: Genuine Leather

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacewolf View Post
    Exact one I ordered:
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DIY-Black-Le...53.m2749.l2649

Manufacturer Part Number: CAR027701
    Material Type: Artificial Leather(PU)

IF YOU DON'T REQUEST A THREAD COLOR THE DEFAULT WILL BE RED ALREADY SEWN IN.

Leather Option:
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DIY-Leather-...0AAOSwlndZEDWa

Manufacturer Part Number: CAR0277
    Material Type: Genuine Leather
    So a number of months later how is the wheel holding up...Haven't bought this yet, but still on my list of things to do...
    --

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.6 L/100 km ... 43.0 mpg (Imp) ... 15.2 km/L ... 35.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham18ce View Post
    So a number of months later how is the wheel holding up...Haven't bought this yet, but still on my list of things to do...
    It looks and feels like the day I put it on there. Not a hint of any wear or tear yet. I've had it on for almost a year now. Definitely still recommend.

It hasn't shifted or stretched at all. Which is huge a pro. Just be sure you sew it up exactly how you want it. The only complaint I have with mine is when I sewed it up the bottom stalk has a slight crease on it because I didn't double up the stitching properly on one side.

I recently matched a new shift knob to it and am very happy with the results. Now all of the surfaces I interact with are "leather" / perforated "leather." A big step up from stock and you notice it every single time you drive.

Thanks
    I pleather wrapped my steering wheel today, loved this suggestion! I will post later. not this one and not as nice but matches my colour interior I have been trying to complete

Micra Meets: Mosport '18

Car Girls FTW.

Interior mods only right now.