Thread: New Owner - Old Micra

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New Owner - Old Micra

Hi everyone,

Picked up my 2015 Micra SR on Saturday morning, scampered onto the 401 to drive home and
    watched the revs climb into the 3000's -
    Though its not a long distance runner, the car is great and Im happy to see it in my driveway.

If anyone has any smart ideas about this transmission, im all ears! Beyond that im looking into suspension & brake upgrades to tighten up the car a bit.

Look forward to chatting with you all.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vrrmz For This Useful Post:

ontario_micra (06-18-2018)

Thanks
    Congrats. What colour(s) is yours? I have the 5spd manual and even in 5th it will be in the 3000 RPM range at 100km/h. MetroMPG has so much data and research into mileage on the Micra. Check out the comparision between the transmissions here. I can't recall the exact thread, but I'm pretty sure I read here that there are great diminishing returns on fuel economy at 120km/h compared to 100km/h in this car. 80-100km/h is the best for fuel economy no matter the transmission.

Please do post about your mods once you get them done!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ontario_micra View Post
    Congrats. What colour(s) is yours? I have the 5spd manual and even in 5th it will be in the 3000 RPM range at 100km/h. MetroMPG has so much data and research into mileage on the Micra. Check out the comparision between the transmissions here. I can't recall the exact thread, but I'm pretty sure I read here that there are great diminishing returns on fuel economy at 120km/h compared to 100km/h in this car. 80-100km/h is the best for fuel economy no matter the transmission.

Please do post about your mods once you get them done!
    got the white one!
    Admittedly, Ive always driven engines maybe a bit harder than necessary - but i did try very hard to keep the car around 100 and your right, 80-100 is where it lives.

Have you done any mods to yours?
    Ill post pics. i was up at Blue this weekend, would have been a good place to do it *derp

Thanks
    Welcome, vrrmz !

If anyone has any smart ideas about this transmission
    You mean about lowering the top gear RPM? We've had a couple of other owners wondering what could be done. You could install larger diameter tires, which would help a little, but would also throw off your speedometer/odometer a bit.

Play with a calculator like this... http://www.wallaceracing.com/calc-gear-tire-rpm-mph.php

It's possible there's a different 5th gear set that could be swapped in this transmission. It may actually be a fairly simple mod (5th gear lives under the stamped steel cover on the end of the transaxle). The hard part would be finding a compatible gearset from another Nissan that would fit.

On the other hand, you'll get used to the RPM. Lots of owners have taken their Micras on long distance highway trips with no complaints. Thread: Is Micra suitable for high speed highway driving, long distance

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome, vrrmz !

You mean about lowering the top gear RPM? We've had a couple of other owners wondering what could be done. You could install larger diameter tires, which would help a little, but would also throw off your speedometer/odometer a bit.

Play with a calculator like this... http://www.wallaceracing.com/calc-gear-tire-rpm-mph.php

It's possible there's a different 5th gear set that could be swapped in this transmission. It may actually be a fairly simple mod (5th gear lives under the stamped steel cover on the end of the transaxle). The hard part would be finding a compatible gearset from another Nissan that would fit.

On the other hand, you'll get used to the RPM. Lots of owners have taken their Micras on long distance highway trips with no complaints. Thread: Is Micra suitable for high speed highway driving, long distance
    Thanks for all the reply!
    this place is great.

Deep down inside i know it would be best if i just drove the car the way its supposed to be driven.
    but deeper down inside, i also feel that a 6th gear would make it one of the best cars to own
    in the 21st century.

My old car has the 4x100 bolt steel rims with winters, but they're 15's.
    Im guessing most of you would advise me NOT to mount these on the Micra when the snow returns?
    Also, i was thinking about starting a thread for suspension/brake buys - OR someone out here knows where one can find a good deal? =D

Ill keep poking around these threads - there's a LOT of good info out here.

Thanks
    I don't see why snow tires that fit wouldn't be advised :P

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmodon View Post
    I don't see why snow tires that fit wouldn't be advised :P
    cool, i thought they might be an inch to small.. ill test them out sometime soon.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vrrmz View Post
    cool, i thought they might be an inch to small.. ill test them out sometime soon.
    Every other trim of the Micra comes with 15" wheels, so you will be fine. Your speedo will change a little in accuracy switching between sizes, but that's about it. I haven't found anything in this forum yet that suggests any post-mount changes are needed for switching within the spec wheel sizes.

Thanks
    speed error will depend on your rubber, the rim itself means nothing. Being a winter tire it won't be low profile so just see what size they are on the sidewall and you can figure out how close to stock it is / how much error there will be

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

ontario_micra (06-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thank you all for these insights..
    Im looking into springs/brakes now, so i guess ill see ya'll in the tech forums =)
    See you on the streets!