Thread: Power cable through firewall (How to)

Thanks

Power cable through firewall (How to)

I talked to some of the mechanics working at my dealer and they told me most people go through the firewall by using a clothes hanger to punch trough the rubber gasket that lets the wiring go to the engine compartment. Here's how I did it...

I straighten a clothes hanger and from the engine compartment I used it to punch a hole in the rubber gasket:

Be careful when you punch the gasket, there are 2 layers of rubber, go straight trough the first one and then when it gets to the second layer of rubber get it away from the cable harness so you don't risk scraping the car wires!!!

Name:  Going-through-firewall-1.jpg
Views: 2404
Size:  58.9 KB
    Name:  Going-through-firewall-2.jpg
Views: 2143
Size:  74.0 KB

Here's a photo of what it looks like from inside the car, driver side under the dash:
    Name:  Going-through-firewall-3.jpg
Views: 2330
Size:  54.9 KB

Then I used some duck tape to attach the power wire to the clothes hagner (about 3 to 4 inches of cable so its sturdy enough to go through the rubber gasket):
    Name:  Going-through-firewall-4.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  48.7 KB
    Name:  Going-through-firewall-5.jpg
Views: 2234
Size:  56.3 KB

Then I pulled on the clothes hanger from the inside, carefully because you don't wanna pull the gasket away from the hole in the firewall:
    Name:  Going-through-firewall-6.jpg
Views: 2369
Size:  52.7 KB

I used a Schosche AMP kit rated for 160 watts from Walmart and its got a 12 gauge power wire.. as you can see it fairly big with the tape holding it to the clothes hanger so you gotta be _very_ careful when you pull it trough the rubber gasket! :
    Name:  Going-through-firewall-7.jpg
Views: 2070
Size:  74.7 KB

Netx, I'll be posting some photos and a how to to get all the wires to the back of the car and connecting the head unit to the sub.

Last edited by Maestro; 06-17-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks
    Here's the Scosche amp wiring kit I used:

Scosche model KPA12FA

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/scosche.../6000001836228

Name:  scosche-amp-wiring-kit.jpg
Views: 2188
Size:  95.5 KB

I also bought a Scosche 125 watts sub from Walmart.. yeah yeah, its not a very high power super hifi sub but its enough for me considering the whole kit cost under $200... (can't find it on the Walmart web site anymore)... You can find it on the interweb easily...

Thanks
    there is another way that does not go throught the main wire harness, there is an unused "bung" on top of the the driver side fender visible from the wheel well that goes into the interior, there is a short thread about it somewhere on the forum...and a pictue ..it was found by 514Xave..good writeup though, and another option!!

http://micra-forum.com/attachment.ph...7&d=1515083046

http://micra-forum.com/attachment.ph...8&d=1515083179
    Last edited by MrMicra2015; 06-18-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMicra2015 For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (12-30-2020)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Does this thread still exist on where the unused bung is i would like to read more into it thank you