Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended oil for 2017 Micra?

Thanks
    So I had my 8,000km service on my Micra before the fall hit. I just bought this car in April and I already put 10,000km on it!

The stealership put synthetic 0W-20 in it, when the manual calls for conventional 5W-30. I know they probably put that oil in every one of their changes. I didn't pay for it because I got oil changes with the car.

I do notice my fuel economy has changed, average of 7.5L/100km up from 6.8L/100km with the factory oil in it.

Am I nuts or did the oil do that?

Should I be swapping back to 5W-30?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ontario_micra View Post

The stealership put synthetic 0W-20 in it, when the manual calls for conventional 5W-30.

Should I be swapping back to 5W-30?
    I just downloaded the manual for a 2018 Micra and on page 10-2 it shows "• Genuine “Nissan Motor Oil 0W-20 SN is recommended."
    It should be a little "thiner" at lower temperature than 5W30 and in theory it should improve your mileage.

Thanks
    I've looked up the various cars our engine is used in, and every option from 0W-20 to 10W-40 are recommended in the user manuals.
    The fiance's 2018 manual reads 0w-20 so they've probably just switched everything, 2015's say 5w-30, long story short, it's not producing enough power or has close enough tolerancing to really matter, though running a thinner oil in the winter can be a good idea depending on where you live. 5W should be fine down to -25C without causing any additional strain on the pump, but if you're anywhere that gets to -40 you'd want to make use of the block heater, where 0W would just be at its normal limit.

Unless you're abusing the motor, conventional vs synthetic is really just up to preference

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

NarfBLAST (11-15-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmodon View Post
    I've looked up the various cars our engine is used in, and every option from 0W-20 to 10W-40 are recommended in the user manuals.
    The fiance's 2018 manual reads 0w-20 so they've probably just switched everything, 2015's say 5w-30, long story short, it's not producing enough power or has close enough tolerancing to really matter, though running a thinner oil in the winter can be a good idea depending on where you live. 5W should be fine down to -25C without causing any additional strain on the pump, but if you're anywhere that gets to -40 you'd want to make use of the block heater, where 0W would just be at its normal limit.

Unless you're abusing the motor, conventional vs synthetic is really just up to preference
    To add to this, they don't make conventional 0W-20. It's all synthetic.

I generally run 0W-20 Mobil1 in my year round vehicles but live in Northern Canada. Summer cars that I run hard will usually have thicker oil like 5W-30 synthetic. Of course this is dependent on the vehicle, climate and engine.

If you're confident enough to mess around with it, I would play with the viscosity a small amount and see how your vehicle responds based on your environment and driving habits. Some vehicles end up performing better over their lifespan with a different thickness than what was originally prescribed. Engine tolerances and wear and tear over time also can be a factor (or it could just be a sign that you need to fix your oil pump and have low oil pressure lol).

My old VWs LOVED dirty thick oil. 15W-40!! You see that **** for diesel trucks. They were both 1.8L 8v gassers too.

In general, most 2003-2012 naturally aspirated import engines from Honda, Toyota and Nissan seem to love 0W-20 for year round use in areas that experience winter.

Thanks
    At the cusp of 22k on the odometer, I changed the oil on this car myself for the first time. A crush washer and filter from the dealership (they had actual crush washers), 5L of Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 on sale at Canadian Tire. Something like $40 altogether, definitely cheaper putting the cheapest stuff in there instead, but I wanna treat the car, lol.

I didn't lift it up at all, just pulled onto the street. If you're also skipping this step, get at the drain plug lying on your back with your hands above your head, to be able to get leverage to break the drain plug in one go. If you're like me, you take a few tries to figure this out, then you curl over the edges of your drain plug applying less than effective torque and struggling with the bolt. I will probably replace the plug next service to avoid this becoming an issue later on if the edges curl more. If you get the right leverage, you can probably break the plug with a hand wrench in one good yank.

I grabbed a 15L oil drain pan from CT and it fits under the car fine. Handy since you have to split a 5L between changes. Putting in 3.5L with a new filter as per the OM leaves you with 1.5L left. I was patient and placed the container on the ground to measure as I go.

Hand loosened the old filter, oiled and hand tightened the new filter with a dry clean hand. It's not the package torque spec, but I've done a few changes on other vehicles the same way no problem. Hand tightened the drain plug as well with the new crush washer.

Pic of the container fitting underneath the car, because I think it's cool that the car sits kinda high stock.

Name:  20190721_110436_HDR.jpg
Views: 3160
Size:  78.0 KB
    Last edited by ontario_micra; 07-21-2019 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added oil weight and spelling corrections

Thanks
    Being able to do oil changes without using ramps/jacks is a bonus for sure.

All my cars are lowered and have air dams, so not an option for me!

I'd be a little nervous about a hand-tightened filter and drain bolt though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    My wife works for an auto group.

I get an alignment check, tire depth printout (3 measures per tire in out middle), synth oil and filter, and a battery load test for $45. But I think regular it's only $68

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Micra SV manual: 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.8 km/L ... 34.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Being able to do oil changes without using ramps/jacks is a bonus for sure.

All my cars are lowered and have air dams, so not an option for me!

I'd be a little nervous about a hand-tightened filter and drain bolt though.
    I mean I used a socket wrench, not just my hands. New washer, went until she wouldn't anymore. I don't have a torque wrench that small and within that range. It's been almost a week so I'll do a thorough check up soon on that.

Thanks
    Filters should never be more than hand tight

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Micra SV manual: 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.8 km/L ... 34.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Today I saw on YouTube with Scotty Kilmer that they are introducing a new type of engine oil in May 2020 GF6 0W-16 A and B https://youtu.be/8HmGv1fgvtM

I don't know how much truth there is to this. I'm still trying to wrap my head around API SN Plus 0W-20

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...