Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended oil for 2017 Micra?

Thanks

Recommended oil for 2017 Micra?

Hey everyone.

So today I had my 2nd oil change on my 2017 Micra. I was told that they could use regular oil or full synthetic. Full synthetic wasn't the recommended oil but if I wanted it they would do it. I find that odd because when I got my first oil change last year I was told by that dealership(not the same as the second oil change) told me it was recommended to have full synthetic oil for 2017 Micra's moving forward. The second dealership told me that they would use regular oil and I would still change it at 8000 km's or 6 months which didn't seem right to me.

I'm confused and annoyed since that I can't get a straight answer. I was wondering what others thought. Maybe someone can clarify. Starting to think I am getting taken for a ride and I should start doing my own oil changes again.

Thanks
    Nissan Motor Oil 5W-30 SN is what the owners manual says for 2017, I can check my 2018 owners manual later on but I think it would be the same. SN seems to stand for synthetic in the product descriptions.

Refer to what your oil cap says as well, it will have it printed on there.

Thanks
    NO...SN seems to stand for synthetic in the product descriptions.
    https://www.rymax-lubricants.com/new...-how-it-works/

There are two categories: gasoline and diesel. Category S is for “Spark Ignition”, for Gasoline and category C is for “Compression Ignition’, for Diesel. For both, the letter S or C is followed by another letter. For example, SM or CF. The higher the letter, the more recent the technology of the oil. For recent oil, the higher specification will supersede the lower letter grade. For example, if we have an oil with specification SN, it can also be used for vehicles which request API SM, SL and SJ; it is backward compatible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ajijic For This Useful Post:

Azmodon (06-18-2018),ontario_micra (06-18-2018)

Thanks
    If the manual calls for "Nissan Motor Oil 5W-30 SN", then it's calling for Nissan branded Motor Oil, Part# 79Z9Y32. I believe it's a conventional oil graded API-SN (the newest version of oil) - 2016 oil was SM (as you go back in time oil was API graded alphabetically, so the next iteration of API grade will be "SO", then "SP" etc.) Basically all oils that aren't 'specialty' should be either GF-5 or SN grade if they're not 3+ years old. I run full synthetic because it's $5 more, blends are ****, and while the car doesn't "need" it... it doesn't hurt it - just like when I add Rycon 1... I don't "need" to add a military grade tank additive to the oil, but I do.

Fun factoid, the HR16DE in the K12 Micra apparently lists an oil change interval of 15'000KM using 5W-30 SM, so same engine, newer oil, and ours reads 8'000km. So if that's using their standard conventional oil, if they're pushing synthetic, and the oil change costs twice as much while the oil itself is nearly the exact same price if you bought it yourself... they just want money.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    As everyone else has said it's probably 5W30. I buy Mobil 1 when its on sale at crappy tire, got my last 5L jug for 25 bucks. You can also use 0W20. I say this because twice when I was at my dealer getting a freebe oil change and this is what they used. I did notice better gas mileage with it. For reference my micra is a 2015 S manual and the oil cap doesn't have it listed on it. I think there is a sticker under the hood though.

I also always use a filter and crush washer from the dealer.

Thanks
    This oil change they used 0w-30 which I was okay with. Not too happy with the $88 dollars though. I can do it for $20.00 cheaper doing it myself and using Mobil 1 full synthetic. Mobil 1 goes on sale every 6 weeks at Canadian Tire so check your flyers. I don't like having to be smarter then a place that I pay to my oil changes, ha! They're just to keep warranty, that's it. I got 6 months to figure it out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmodon View Post
    If the manual calls for "Nissan Motor Oil 5W-30 SN", then it's calling for Nissan branded Motor Oil, Part# 79Z9Y32.
    Do you happen to have a rough idea of the price of oil + filter from the dealership?

Thanks
    I've never had a dealership touch the car (I have brought it to a Jeep/Dodge shop though), but most places that aren't them, for full synth usually comes to near $90.

If you keep your receipts you can do it yourself... an oil change takes no real time or effort... You can get 5L of just about anything for $45-50. If you're using synthetic, grab a Fram XG6607 for ~12 and it can be run for 4 oil changes (designed for 36'000km), though if you're worried about warranty issues and want to do your own, just buy a new filter every time and stock pile them until warranty period's over... never buy a filter again after that lol. If you never want to replace crush washers again, buy a $3 stat-o-seal (aircraft washer with a nitrile seal bonded to its I.D. designed for -40 to +110 while in contact with petroleum products)
    Last edited by Azmodon; 06-19-2018 at 11:20 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

ontario_micra (06-19-2018)

Thanks
    i use conventional 5W-30 and prefill the filter before screwing it on.....i bet the dealer doesn't do that (:

Ill post in 15 years or less if they were both good plans......
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmodon View Post
    I've never had a dealership touch the car (I have brought it to a Jeep/Dodge shop though), but most places that aren't them, for full synth usually comes to near $90.

If you keep your receipts you can do it yourself... an oil change takes no real time or effort... You can get 5L of just about anything for $45-50. If you're using synthetic, grab a Fram XG6607 for ~12 and it can be run for 4 oil changes (designed for 36'000km), though if you're worried about warranty issues and want to do your own, just buy a new filter every time and stock pile them until warranty period's over... never buy a filter again after that lol. If you never want to replace crush washers again, buy a $3 stat-o-seal (aircraft washer with a nitrile seal bonded to its I.D. designed for -40 to +110 while in contact with petroleum products)
    I've always done my own oil changes and kept receipts for all other vehicles I've owned. I asked the nissan dealer where I purchased my new 2017 and was told that I was not permitted to do my own and that if I did I would void the warranty. An oil change with Mobil 1 conventional mineral motor oil cost me $60 at Mr Lube. I could do it myself for 1/2 the cost. Hmm?