Thread: Alloy wheels stuck on rear brake drums

Thanks

Alloy wheels stuck on rear brake drums

I had problems removing my rear Nissan factory alloy wheels the 1st time I tried removing them, it felt like they were glued on.
    I had my tires rotated during my last Dealer service visit & I was curious if they added any anti seize compound etc to the rear wheels.
    Nope, I could not get the rear wheels off until I used a block of wood & a big hammer to loosen the wheel from the drum. I think the "average" driver would probably give up if they had to change a flat rear tire on this car.
    I decided to spray each drum with "fluid film" purchased at Princess Auto which reacts with the rust & leaves a film.
    Hopefully this stops the rust from reforming & also stop the galvanic corrosion between the alloy rim & steel drum.

Attached Images Attached Images     

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jimwilly For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up.

A tip for anyone who finds themselves in the same situation needing to remove a wheel, but without a hammer & block of wood...

If kicking the tire doesn't free it...

1. Put the wheel nuts back on, but back them off half a turn from contact
    2. Lower the car
    3. Drive a short distance at low speed while swerving abruptly left & right a few times

The force on the "loose" wheel from weight transfer during the swerving should break the bond. You'll probably hear the clunk when it comes free.

I've never had that technique fail. Front wheels loosen easier than rears with this technique.

Better to be preventive and do what you did , though!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    good advice on the fluid film, i use neverseize painted on. if you turn your back to the car and kick the top of the tire,(with the flat of your foot) thats worked for me alot
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    if you turn your back to the car and kick the top of the tire,(with the flat of your foot) thats worked for me alot
    LOL I love your very detailed instructions on that......it made me chuckle as I do the same.

The old Bruce Lee back kick trick works every time lol.