Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Nobody in their right mind buys a base Micra". Oh, really??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

"Nobody in their right mind buys a base Micra". Oh, really??

Photo: base Micra. From thread: Review notes: 2015 Micra S 5-speed extended test-drive - Darin's thoughts

It's just a throwaway line in a review of the Nissan Qashqai by David Booth:

Nissan’s own Micra can cost as little $10,000, but nobody in their right mind buys a base Micra. On the other hand, you can get by with a base Qashqai.
    Them's fightin' words!

There's an overwhelming love for the base Micra here (it was until very recently the most popular trim in the garage).

So just for fun, I wrote a little (OK, too long), email to Mr Booth:

Re: your comment "nobody in their right mind buys a base Micra", in your recent Qashqai review...

As an admin of Canada's Micra-Forum.com, I can say: you got some 'splainin' to do!!

You will of course not be surprised that the base $10k Micra makes up a small fraction of Canadian Micra sales overall (8%, according to Nissan).

What's interesting is there's an overwhelming love for the base Micra among our small community of enthusiasts (700 members and growing): a whopping 30% chose one. It even outnumbers the sporty "SR" trim. Go figure! Clearly something about this honest-to-goodness cheap & cheerful car stirs the automotive passions.

And in case you doubt our auto enthusiast bona fides, check out the take rate for the manual gearbox: a massive 62% of our members drive a Micra with a stick. (All trims, not just base.) What's the appliance-driving general population's preference for manuals these days?

I'll conclude this already-too-big defense of the littlest Micra with a prediction: base Micras will also be over-represented during the Micra owners parade lap at the Micra Cup season opener at CTMP this weekend.

Cheers, and happy May Two Four!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I can understand the statement even if ~30% choose it - I'm from the north so my feelings may be skewed, but even with the AC cranked summer time heat can be nuts... I can't imagine making the choice outside of financial inability to not get the SV, and I bought my SV when I was -8K to my name, simply because it was the cheapest car available, but I'm not going without AC :P

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I hear you on AC.

I'm lucky in that I don't have an urban commute, and rarely drive in stop & go traffic. So I've never felt the need for it. I've had it in two of my ~25 cars or so.

As far as I'm concerned, in Eastern Ontario, you only really "need" air for 3 or 4 weeks a year.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    yeah, but I'm from Kapuskasing, anything above 23-24 and if my ever receding hairline doesn't want to flop in the wind, that AC gets a work out :P I sweat sitting on a couch if it's 24... shorts and a t-shirt at 10C

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Ha! Yes, have to account for peoples' different internal thermostats.

Thanks
    My base micra is great! I feel I would only need a/c a few times a year as it would just cut my fuel economy for the most part. I do however mostly highway driving and enjoy having the windows down!
    N/A Subaru Addict...
    First Nissan Commuter

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobaganousch For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-12-2018)

Thanks
    Bobaganousch , representing base Micra owners!

Thanks
    I am definitely in the base Micra camp, and certainly not out of financial necessity. My wife drive a big honking SUV, I have the Micra and three motorcycles. It is the simplicity and back to basics that attracted me to the Micra. Love it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp) ... 14.8 km/L ... 34.8 mpg (US) ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FundyFan For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-14-2018)

Thanks
    One argument that I never ear is the need of AC in the winter.. and boy do we have winters in Canada. So, I couldn't have a car without AC. I was going to buy the base model, but I thought maybe at 57 I need keyless entry, electric windows and an automatic transmission because I'm used to those things. But at $11K you can't expect to drive a new car, unless you buy the Micra base model.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Never did like getting out of an AC car and starting to sweat in the heat of the day. One more option to screw up. Love my 2015 base model.

If I'm driving people around or touring, I confess, I take the Suburban LT.