Thread: possible rusting issue (around hatchback latch/handle mechanism)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

possible rusting issue (around hatchback latch/handle mechanism)

Heads up for a rusting issue that might be a pain down the road. Car is a 2015 S base 65k KM

My dummy light came on over the winter saying a door was open when it was not. Check fuses, all doors etc and found out it was the trunk latch. Pulled off the carpet panel on the back and found the connector that was attached to the trunk light and disconnected it. It was cold and my hands were frozen so I left it at that.

Last weekend I had another look. The wire I disconnected leads into the trunk latch mechanism. So I took it off and its all rusted. There is actually a gap between the trunk latch mechanism and the hatch so salt and moisture can get in. I was even able to find growing salt flakes inside the hatch.

Oh, and on my car when I took of the part it was not painted or primed underneath. Just bare metal. I fiddled with part and cleaned the rust off best I could. Blasted it with a bit on spray on white lithium grease and it seems to have sorted its self out when I plugged in and put it all back together.

Part at the dealer is almost 300 plus tax. If it becomes a problem again I might try to find a junked newer micra to buy the part and make a gasket/ grease it. If I can I will take some photos to upload.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NUBNUB For This Useful Post:

Bobaganousch (05-17-2018),MetroMPG (05-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks for the report.

I think we've had another member or two mention rusting of the hatch latch/handle mechanism. I'll see if I can find it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Found it - not the latch mechanism, but the lock itself on a base S model:

Thread: Rear trunk latch key (hatchback lock seized)

Sounds like it's definitely worthwhile for all owners to open up the hatchback and spray that area with rust inhibitor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I just purchased a 2017 Micra with 25,000km and noticed the rear cargo light wasn’t working. There was some corrosion on the latch attached to the body. I removed the lock mechanism and it had zero corrosion on the exterior. However, I was able to confirm that the switch inside the locking mechanism was not working properly. It’s a sealed unit so I was unable to disassemble further to inspect the switch. I sprayed some Krown into mechanism and actuated the lock several times and was able to get the trunk light working again as it’s supposed to.

I am still under the bumper to bumper warranty and purchased a comprehensive extended warranty but figured if I could fix it myself, I would.

The car is scheduled to be rust proofed by Krown next week.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JOEMAMA For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-06-2020)

Thanks
    Easier than taking it to the dealership! Also, I bet they're less likely to actually take the time to figure out the problem.

Cars like the Micra are definitely worth rust-proofing. Light weight, thin metal.

Thanks
    Today i planned to rustproof mine with fluid film. Ran on rumps went under it and everything is clean no rust anywhere absolutely nothing. The only metal that is rusted after detailed inspection is exhaust system. Right after the exhaust manifold all the way to muffler. So no rust proofing for this year.