Thread: possible rusting issue (around hatchback latch/handle mechanism)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

possible rusting issue (around hatchback latch/handle mechanism)

Heads up for a rusting issue that might be a pain down the road. Car is a 2015 S base 65k KM

My dummy light came on over the winter saying a door was open when it was not. Check fuses, all doors etc and found out it was the trunk latch. Pulled off the carpet panel on the back and found the connector that was attached to the trunk light and disconnected it. It was cold and my hands were frozen so I left it at that.

Last weekend I had another look. The wire I disconnected leads into the trunk latch mechanism. So I took it off and its all rusted. There is actually a gap between the trunk latch mechanism and the hatch so salt and moisture can get in. I was even able to find growing salt flakes inside the hatch.

Oh, and on my car when I took of the part it was not painted or primed underneath. Just bare metal. I fiddled with part and cleaned the rust off best I could. Blasted it with a bit on spray on white lithium grease and it seems to have sorted its self out when I plugged in and put it all back together.

Part at the dealer is almost 300 plus tax. If it becomes a problem again I might try to find a junked newer micra to buy the part and make a gasket/ grease it. If I can I will take some photos to upload.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NUBNUB For This Useful Post:

Bobaganousch (05-17-2018),MetroMPG (05-17-2018)