Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Light bars! (K13 Micra)

Thanks

LED Light bars! (K13 Micra)

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be doing a road trip in the summer (going to convert it to a mini camper but that's for another thread ) and want something to make my Micra standout - having seen some LED light bars, I'm really tempted to fit one to the front because I think it'd look so out of place... that it'd look great!!

I would like your opinions on the placement and size of it - more specifically whether you think option 1 would negatively impact the cooling by blocking the radiator (especially since a 120W LED strip will be giving off a fair bit of heat). Just as an aside - I will not be doing anything permanent, I'll just find a temporary of attaching it to the grill etc.

Below are some options that'd I've crudely knocked together some images of...

Option 1 (Yellow rectangle represents a 21", 120W strip):
    Name:  21inchlightbar1.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  97.3 KB
    Name:  floods.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  21.0 KB
    Option 2 (Option 2 and 3 are using 2 x 72W floods):
    Name:  ledlightsplacement2.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  83.4 KB
    Option 3:
    Name:  lightbarplacement2.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  76.4 KB

Let me know your thoughts!

Rupert

Thanks
    I noticed that you're in the UK and I was wondering, do you have those plastic flaps on either side of the radiator? How long have a light bar were you thinking of adding? I was thinking about adding my 9.5" LED light bar that I had from another vehicle but I am concerned about the samething. I personally like the LED bar in the middle. On either side of the rad would be fine for the air flow but the look of that I am not a fan of.

Off topic. You have signal lights on the front panel. Are those OEM or Aftermarket?

Thanks
    The flaps that appear to direct air into the radiator? Yep I did notice them when having a poke around... To be honest I'm really tempted to go all out and get a 21" because it's really cheap with wiring harness and switch and would look great assuming it wouldn't block airflow too much.

Yep the indicator is stock to comply with EU/UK regulations, I believe the front fog lights are a forced option over here though not required.
    Name:  indicator.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  9.3 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    The flaps that appear to direct air into the radiator? Yep I did notice them when having a poke around... To be honest I'm really tempted to go all out and get a 21" because it's really cheap with wiring harness and switch and would look great assuming it wouldn't block airflow too much.

Yep the indicator is stock to comply with EU/UK regulations, I believe the front fog lights are a forced option over here though not required.
    Name:  indicator.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  9.3 KB
    Oh sorry! I didn't realize that you put a picture of the light bar you were thinking. I noticed the second time around.

Is there any sort of a gap from the top of the bar to the bottom of the license plate? I only noticed the flaps last week when I was trying to figure out my light bar. Would you consider a one row light bar instead of two? It won't be as tall(length) compared to a two row light bar. You already found the pass through the firewall? Are you running a switch to the interior?

I like the side signals. They remind of me older VW's and a Mitsubishi I had long ago. I wish the Micra had them, oh well!
    Last edited by ABMicra17; 04-26-2018 at 06:40 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ABMicra17 For This Useful Post:

Rupert (04-26-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ABMicra17 View Post
    Oh sorry! I didn't realize that you put a picture of the light bar you were thinking. I noticed the second time around.

Is there any sort of a gap from the top of the bar to the bottom of the license plate? I only noticed the flaps last week when I was trying to figure out my light bar. Would you consider a one row light bar instead of two? It won't be as tall(length) compared to a two row light bar.

I like the side signals. They remind of me older VW's and a Mitsubishi I had long ago. I wish the Micra had them, oh well!
    No worries! Yeah a single row light isn't a bad shout, I'll have a look to see what there is. I'd guess there'll be a little gap (I'll see if I can find some light bar dimensions and measure the grill size) but width wise I think it'll come close to filling the grill.

Off topic... I noticed you posted about mudflaps/mudguards back in December, did you get round to ordering some/fitting? I've got some genuine OEM ones coming in the post that I managed to pick up for £20 (35.38 Canadian I think) and am very excited to fit them! Think they finish the car off well!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    No worries! Yeah a single row light isn't a bad shout, I'll have a look to see what there is. I'd guess there'll be a little gap (I'll see if I can find some light bar dimensions and measure the grill size) but width wise I think it'll come close to filling the grill.

Off topic... I noticed you posted about mudflaps/mudguards back in December, did you get round to ordering some/fitting? I've got some genuine OEM ones coming in the post that I managed to pick up for £20 (35.38 Canadian I think) and am very excited to fit them! Think they finish the car off well!
    I am not sure how much is out there for the light bars that are one row. I have seen them but they are small, they aren't long. I think that the mud flaps would be awesome. I still want to add them if possible. Where did you get your from?

Thanks
    Had a quick look and actually a single row light might be the way to go! I can get a 25" single row CREE LED light bar (which costs the same as the 21" two row and well... I'm gonna go as big as I can!) and that's from a decent brand too, not the generic unbranded sort... Free posting too! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-20-25-...SBrXyvAtNwG1tg

Thanks
    I don't think you can go wrong with a single to light bar.

Thanks
    I found mine on eBay, a UK seller was selling a few lots of brand new unused ones... From certified Nissan dealers they're a considerable amount more pricey!

I'll have another look at my car tomorrow to see how much grill would be obscured by a single and dual row light bar... if I can get away with a dual row light bar I probably will for the higher output ~9000 Lumens though a 25" CREE LED bar is only marginally less. According to some online dimensions I found, it's around 50 mm for a single and 75 ish for a double. Thanks for your suggestions I'll keep you posted!

Thanks
    Just thought I'd post an update of my plans. So I've decided to definitely go with the 25" single row LED bar and will be ordering it later today - as far as the wiring is concerned, I'll wire it up to a 12V relay so I can have it come on with the main beams which would be much more convenient, not least because it would mean I don't need to worry getting a cable from the engine into the cabin.