Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Light bars! (K13 Micra)

Thanks
    Running the wire to the lights would be the easiest. Personally I'd run wiring and put them on a switch in the interior. If you have you a buddy run the wiring through the firewall, it's pretty easy. I bring up an interior switch since that I am not sure if it's illegal for you to run off road lights on the road. With that big of a light, that's going to be a lot of light. Give us an update when you can.

Thanks
    I had a look up about the legality of it here in the UK (I'm sure our regs are quite different) and basically, you are allowed to have auxiliary lights as long as when you dip your lights, they switch off. So putting them on a separate switch, which would allow you to have them on without your main beams, is not allowed here but using a relay so that they switch on and off with the main beams is.

Thanks

Fitted!

So I've finally fitted the light bar and I absolutely love it I haven't had a chance to get some proper pictures so just what's below for now... The camera does not do it justice - it's very bright!!

As far as mounting, I have two brackets that effectively hook the lightbar onto the bumper (so there is no actual modification at all to the car) though it's very tight and secure. Wiring wise, it comes straight off the battery with a relay taking a feed from the main beams, no mods to existing wires required as the wire is just in with the main beam connector - I do have a switch under the bonnet if I want to switch it off for whatever reason but otherwise it just comes on and off with my main beams (Which here in the UK is the requirement if you want to legally use them on the road). Very excited and I can't wait to take it out on the road!!!
    Name:  lightbar1.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  95.0 KB
    Name:  lightbar2.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  93.9 KB
    Name:  lightbar3.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  93.4 KB
    Name:  lightbar4.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  45.8 KB

Thanks
    That turned out great man. Good job!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ABMicra17 For This Useful Post:

Rupert (05-14-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    I do have a switch under the bonnet if I want to switch it off for whatever reason but otherwise it just comes on and off with my main beams (Which here in the UK is the requirement if you want to legally use them on the road).]
    Wait, so you legally have to have the light bar on with your regular headlights? That looks really bright, essentially permanent-on brights. What's it look like to oncoming traffic?

Thanks
    Sorry just to clarify by main beams - I mean the full beams (the bright ones sorry you may have different terminology ) so oncoming traffic will never see it since it will be dipped!

Just as an aside - I've taken it on a few night trips and it's amazing for lanes, really makes driving at night more enjoyable!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    Sorry just to clarify by main beams - I mean the full beams (the bright ones sorry you may have different terminology ) so oncoming traffic will never see it since it will be dipped!

Just as an aside - I've taken it on a few night trips and it's amazing for lanes, really makes driving at night more enjoyable!!
    Yeah in North America they would be referred to as "high beams" commonly, some people call them "brights".

Having a truck-sized light bar on Micra bright is hilarious! If you have some night-time video driving with that I am sure the forum would love to see it. Might have to add a light bar to my mod list.

Thanks
    Guys its me again...

There's going to be a part 2 to the LED lightbar story...

This time it is really going to be controversial - at least my first LED lightbar was subtly mounted, in fact I'm surprised how good it ended up looking, kind of complemented the other chrome parts. Anyway - I always wanted a roof mount lightbar but, well, I wasn't going to be drilling into my roof anytime soon However I was looking the other day and came across this, a magnetic light bar mount!!!!!!! So I'm genuinely considering putting another lightbar on the roof - yes I know fuel economy, yes I know it'll probably whistle due to the airflow, I also know it'll not be to everyone's taste but well I think it'd look ridiculous and amazing! Here's an example of what it could look like...
    Name:  lightbarmockup.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  100.0 KB
    I'd need to do some proper measurements but I think I could happily get a 42" (1m) bar on there.
    Let me know what you think!

Thanks
    Just have to say I love this photo - funny face:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Love the front LED lighting. Pretty slick!!!