Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rawtek Catback liquidation.

My reply was factual and quite polite but here you are making assumptions and accusations again.

1- We are an exhaust system manufacturer. 1 vehicle = 1 SKU . We have many other SKUs for different exhaust systems.

you have one product for us. Is what I meant.

2- Any time you buy anything, including exhaust systems from other companies, you are taking a risk. Such is life. We do our best to mitigate that risk for you by offering a no hassle return policy and lifetime warranty. Furthermore, had you expressed this concern politely, I would have gladly offered to refund 100% of the purchase price +shipping, if the product was deemed to be sub par. In fact, I remember offering free installation and dyno runs to anyone willing to come here in person.

Fair enough. “Had I expressed this concern politely.” Your conditional gratitude is a nice after thought.

All of this should have been part of your very first post, after engaging with us First.

3- We did do market research. We sell dozens of these kits to the Micra Cup series so the development of the product was well justified.

When tailoring this to the street oriented version did you ask us what changes we’d like to see ?

4- Again with the accusatory language...we are not "slinging" anything nor are we trying to recuperate losses from another contract. We break even selling to MIA, not that that is any of your concern. We have been doing business with the gentlemen from MIA for years and agreed to forgo our profit on the exhaust systems because it is a good promotional opportunity for our Cortek brand. that is a winning situation regardless of whether or not we sell street systems.

5- The "REAL" Micra cup exhaust is a racing piece that does not necessarily have the most pleasing sound for long highway drives or daily commuting. The ONLY thing we change is to fill the muffler with a material that is more suitable to street use and offers better sound absorption of the higher frequencies. We do this to offer a BETTER product for street use rather than race.

6- We're not "clearing house at the beginning of the race season". I was pretty clear that we are only discontinuing the street version of the exhaust system and that we will continue producing exhausts for MIA, as usual.

7- I'm not washing my hands of anything. If I was doing so, I wouldn't be here correcting your many assumptions. I'm simply saying that we don't make money selling the exhaust system at the liquidation price so we will be discontinuing the street oriented system. I would encourage anyone who wants the race version can buy through MIA, same as before.

Cool. Didn’t know that.
    Did you actually say if you want the real real deal you can purchase via MIA before now? Maybe? I cant even remember. And I literally do not care to go back and look.

8- We made what the Micra Cup series asked for, not whatever I wanted. It seems that the most offensive thing we did was to adapt that system for street use and then offer it to a community that has few readily available exhaust options. If the system is not to your liking then don't buy it...that's fine. I'm not here to push anything on anyone.

There are lots. Well, at least as readily available as your is. It has to be ordered and shipped then installed. Kinda a moot point.

Readily available to me is walk in buy off shelf walk out the door.

Everything with micra is order and wait. We don’t even have recall parts readily available lol

9- As I said, if our product is not what you're looking for, that's fine. The fact is that our offering was priced similarly or lower than other options and the quality/price ratio is quite good. You don't have to believe that but there is no need to jump all over our posts with sly remarks and negative assumptions to dissuade others from making their own decisions. It's commendable that you want to stand up for your community but WE'RE NOT ATTACKING IT. I don't know how to make that more clear.

And that’s with the shop/manufacturer/ and me all getting a little slice of the pie. Which I disclose.

It was more of an exercise to show that it can be done almost anywhere.

So people know just about any shop can do what was done here it is not special in any way really, let’s be honest. It’s an exhaust any shop anywhere could fab up in a couple ours and done for a reasonable cost.
    No need to buy a “micra cup car not cup car street version “that’s meant for off road cause it deletes the OEM resonator making it non compliant basically coast to coast.
    And you can get a noncompliance muffler and exhaust a lot cheaper and save the shipping.

You attempted to offer us something special which we quickly realized wasn’t as special as you made it out to be.

10- Yes, we have a take it or leave it approach. It's a polite, no pressure approach. 'This is what we have available. If you're interested or have any questions, we're here to help'...that's the exact attitude we came to the forum with. It's not arrogant or pushy, it's low key. That's why the hostility is so confusing.

Why are you taking it as hostility?
    I do kinda want to say it’s low key something alright. Lol that may come off as attitude because I’m putting your words back in your mouth but it’s more about literally responding so you know I read it all.

11- Yes, you could be wrong and you are. The Micra Cup exhaust is a marketing exercise and a mutually beneficial deal between Rawtek and MIA. As I've said we have known the gentlemen at MIA for years and I have no information that would lead me to believe they are looking for a different supplier. I don't know where you're getting these ideas but they are getting on my nerves. Though I'm sure that much is obvious.

I’m not trying to “get on your nerves” I’m sorry if that’s how you are feeling.
    I’m glad you set me straight though.

Lastly, it's not really that "cutthroat out there"...just in here, lol. We get along very well with our clients and in fact, much of the competition. The world is a big place full of different people with different priorities.

Your priorities seem to be budget

If you actually took some interest in the forum, did even some research on the threads pertaining to exhausts you’d know “budget” is a priority for micra owners.

I also deal with a company named “budget exhaust” so that was why I mentioned that word much. But also, so that other forum members/micra owners knew of a reasonable shop to approach on their own. Apparently they get it. They literally named their business after it lol.

It’s just a micra ten grand tin can
    A sub $300 if possible bolt on axle back was probably the most acceptable range.

And one piece is difficult to install in the drive way and cost more to ship
    It doesn’t make sense, to me anyways.

and busting my balls so it's quite obvious that we'll not be doing business together.

I’ve been asking question and getting answers.
    I know it’s not just me so that can feel like your getting attacked.

But really that’s potential customers and ppl that are actually very good at what they do. The knowledge our enthusiasts gather is rather impressive. Some of them don’t leave there moms bsmts for days while researching lol fan boy knows who he is. Lmfao... I don’t mean this literally but figuratively.

That's ok. All I've asked from the beginning is for the opportunity to inform interested parties about our company and product offerings without being badgered by those who are not interested.

Your taking this very personal right now. I meant the aftermarket automotive industry. Margins are small market is niche and sales are seasonal. Business is tough. I was being empathetic.
    You took that as though you are cutthroat with clients or customers and then stated “just in here” implying the forum.

The fat mad black lady in me is screaming “***** yous in my house talking that ****?!?? “ - meant for comical relief. But also relays my shear disbelief at this.

A simple "I'm not looking to spend that much" or "I'd rather stick with a mainstream brand" or "I'm on the fence. What's your warranty/return policy"...etc. would all have been welcome responses to our introductory post and would have saved us all a lot of time and effort. Instead, we're called "rednecks", "slinging" crap parts on unsuspecting Micra owners. I hope you can understand how frustrating that is.
    Oh I surely can.

I, at no point, called you a redneck.
    I literally just used sling instead of sell. Cause I didn’t want to constantly write sell. Also because it did convey, some what, with after thought, how you approached us, and conducted your sale.

In the end, the Micra community is quite a small market spread out across a big country. This forum is the best place to reach out to that community so, if we can't get a fair shake here then there is no sense in pursuing it.

We have 4 or 5 street kits left.

Best regards

Ricardo Galerio
    President
    Rawtek Performance Fabrication Inc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    <3 needless drama

So anyway... I installed the system last night (a better video will follow soonish) - things to note:

1) Have a tap or a drill handy, the nuts on the catalytic's flange for me were rusted beyond saving and the hardware sent (2 shoulder bolts) I believe would've threaded in to them, but I've just got them passing through once I drilled them out.

2) You will need a doughnut gasket - I'm guessing a Walker 31378 with some high temp RTV will do the trick, I work beside a Napa so I'm headed there at lunch to grab something silimar

3) If you have poly hangers that fit the hangers on the body (obviously), you're going to need some lube as the hanger rods on the exhaust are slightly larger, but at least I never have to worry about them.

4) I was confused when I first saw the system because of the reflex / serpentine bend in it, but it's perfect and just follows the contours of the gas tank while maintaining a gap it could never swing in to, even with the sloppiest rubbers. I did have to remove a threaded post (one of two beside the gas tank) because of my hangers not wanting to bend.

5) Installed "correctly" the exhaust tip is completely concealed... but the band clamp included allows for the pipes to not be 100% seated. I have them at about 0.5" - 0.75" overlap, and with the amount of pressure that clamp applies it'll never come off -> the tip is now a bit exposed. It's about the only thing I'll ever consider getting extended (cutting and moving the muffler and tip as a unit about 2 inches towards the rear of the car). That tip is way too nice to not show off.

All round the install was completely painless (with the exception of my own tool limitations and choice of poly hangers) - once I have the gasket, the slight leak I have will be fixed and I'll re-take some after video that's not inside a concrete box (the shop I was in)

Images - the rickshaw level **** I pulled out - while wanting to build my own to replace this monstrosity, price was too good to not as I've said - yes that's crimp tube from crappytire, yes that's a **** weld as I used stringers to walk across an inch wide gap.
    Name:  Comparison.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  41.9 KB

Rear - nice Cortek logo top and bottom on the muffler (laser etched?) shows off the Tein shocks and hypercoil springs in my own Poly-Seat (converts a 2.5" ground spring in to a 5" natural spring for the seat)
    Name:  31717798_763013769405_7569745645766967296_n.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  70.6 KB
    Name:  31762173_763013804335_4244905848687558656_n.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  59.3 KB

Just a shot from the rear of the flange connection
    Name:  31870761_763013874195_7417871388817489920_n.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  50.2 KB

a thing for instagram
    Name:  30603629_194734124656347_3191256543123210240_n.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  85.5 KB

and hopefully this works - super duper cell phone quality, in a chicken coop - turned car shop lol
    https://youtu.be/vi1CE0IrBoA

wrap around showing some of the welds, **** like this had me like "how... how is this done manually"
    https://bit.ly/2jl5YeW

Once the gasket's in I'll take another video showing a few rpm ranges, and the nice burps it makes when coming off throttle, possibly with something better than a cell phone lol
    Last edited by Azmodon; 05-03-2018 at 05:33 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-03-2018),NotASportsCar (02-24-2019),Pete (05-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks for the details, Azmodon.

Is that your Beetle too I see in one of the pics?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Not mine no, a former chicken coop in Niagara (apparently it's not uncommon for this to happen) had shut down, so the owner cleaned out the entire farm, ran power, and put up dividing walls. So my friend and his 3 friends pay ~140/month each. They could probably fit 9 cars in there, one of their neighbours make custom stainless welded exhausts and stuff, another is building drift cars. The friend I have in there is rebuilding an '89 mk2 jetta, custom rims and exhaust, new engine, fancy covers and stuff, individual TB's and R1 carbs etc. He's the one who's been helping me figure out how to do a lot of stuff. I think the beetle is one of the guys dad's?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Wonder if still available?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtsimaras View Post
    Wonder if still available?
    We just moved to On, but I'm pretty sure I saw one last exhaust in one of our containers. Shoot em an email rob@rawtekinc.com and I'll see if it is a full kit.

Rob Noiseux
    Operations
    Rawtek Performance

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rawtek For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-27-2019)