Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Anyone running Firestone Indy 500s?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    38
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Anyone running Firestone Indy 500s?

    Thinking of buying a set of these to slap on new rims. Smallest I can find is 195/55-R16 which would fit on the stock Micra SR rims if I can find them at a wrecker or used on kijiji. Tire would be 10MM wider but I'm guessing it would be fine on a 6 inch wide rim. If not ill buy after markets that are 6.5inch wide.

    https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revi...y+500#features

    Looks like good bang for buck and reviews all seem positive. Thoughts?

    Side note, anyone selling SR rims in Ontario?

    Edit: Dealer wanted 786 plus tax per rim to order them. Nope.


    Last edited by NUBNUB; 04-04-2018 at 08:58 AM.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to NUBNUB For This Useful Post:

    Pete (04-03-2018)

  3. #2
    Senior Member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    785
    Thanks
    574
    Thanked 283 Times in 198 Posts
    I like......seventeens are reasonably priced too

  4. #3
    Senior Member Azmodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Niagara Falls Canada
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    Those are what I'm buying tonight, 225/45R17 :P but being next door to the states I'm using 'tirerack', after conversion / taxes / shipping, it should save me like $37 per tire.

    From the tests I've seen they surpassed the G-Force Comp-2's, which I'd been eyeing all winter, and cost about the same.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...


  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    38
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmodon View Post
    Those are what I'm buying tonight, 225/45R17 :P but being next door to the states I'm using 'tirerack', after conversion / taxes / shipping, it should save me like $37 per tire.

    From the tests I've seen they surpassed the G-Force Comp-2's, which I'd been eyeing all winter, and cost about the same.
    You just gave me an idea, I am driving to the US at the end of the month. Checked and it will save me about 35 a tire plus 67 for shipping. Do you order to a border mail service or do you order through the store and then pick up? and do you have to pay a Canadian tax when you bring them back over? Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Last edited by NUBNUB; 04-04-2018 at 12:28 PM.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Azmodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Niagara Falls Canada
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    Option 1) Order to a PO box service like U.S.Address, or CBI - they charge ~$5 per tire to receive them, the border usually won't care to pull you over for taxes unless you're bringing back 80-100 worth of non-grocery items. So I may take 2 trips (I get gas there weekly anyway) and pick them up 2 tires at a time - If tax needs to be paid, it's based on the price you paid, so paying 13% on ~120/tire at the border vs 13% on ~160/tire in Canada.

    Option 2) Contact a garage just over the border and see if you can schedule your tires to arrive there a few days before you do - have them swap your tires while you're in the states... drive back on them = nothing to declare. -> which is where I am currently, hoping I get replied to soon or I'll just go with Option 1

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

    NUBNUB (04-04-2018)

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Northern Ontario
    Posts
    46
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmodon View Post
    Option 2) Contact a garage just over the border and see if you can schedule your tires to arrive there a few days before you do - have them swap your tires while you're in the states... drive back on them = nothing to declare.
    Don't underestimate the Customs Officers; they have seen it all before. If you want to "smuggle" them across, pay for them with cash, and have the receipt mailed to you so it is not in the car. If you are caught they normally make you pay duty and taxes and fine you an equal amount. If you had a valid reason to be in the USA (ie, buy gas, a few groceries, and a visit to a casino) declare what you had bought (except the tires of course) and you will will probably be OK.

    My brother-in-law was caught bringing a new boat into Canada with a false invoice in hopes of saving $850 in duty and taxes. Because it was being towed by my car, they seized my car (not the boat) until we came up with $1700. It took about 3 hours. I have never had any problems crossing the border since.

    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: I just did a google search. If the tires are made in North America there is zero duty, only the HST would have to be paid. If manufactured elsewhere the duty would add on about 8%. VERY FEW TIRES ARE MADE IN North America. TireRack lists Country of Origin.
    Last edited by tomcj2; 04-04-2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: additional information added

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to tomcj2 For This Useful Post:

    NUBNUB (04-04-2018)

  10. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    38
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcj2 View Post
    Don't underestimate the Customs Officers; they have seen it all before. If you want to "smuggle" them across, pay for them with cash, and have the receipt mailed to you so it is not in the car. If you are caught they normally make you pay duty and taxes and fine you an equal amount. If you had a valid reason to be in the USA (ie, buy gas, a few groceries, and a visit to a casino) declare what you had bought (except the tires of course) and you will will probably be OK.

    My brother-in-law was caught bringing a new boat into Canada with a false invoice in hopes of saving $850 in duty and taxes. Because it was being towed by my car, they seized my car (not the boat) until we came up with $1700. It took about 3 hours. I have never had any problems crossing the border since.

    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: I just did a google search. If the tires are made in North America there is zero duty, only the HST would have to be paid. If manufactured elsewhere the duty would add on about 8%. VERY FEW TIRES ARE MADE IN North America. TireRack lists Country of Origin.
    They are made in Indonesia. Meh, I might just buy them at 1010 tires and slap em on 16X6.5 Steel wheels. Not sure I understand how offsets work and wont know how to make sure an aftermarket rim fits. Might do some reading tonight.

  11. #8
    Senior Member Azmodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Niagara Falls Canada
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NUBNUB View Post
    They are made in Indonesia. Meh, I might just buy them at 1010 tires and slap em on 16X6.5 Steel wheels. Not sure I understand how offsets work and wont know how to make sure an aftermarket rim fits. Might do some reading tonight.
    www.willtheyfit.com

    stock iirc is 185/60R15, on a 5.5" rim with 50(mm) offset -> I have no idea what the SR's rims are.

    Using the linked calculator and the stock rim dimensions though, you can plug in your proposed set up and have it give you what will change where.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...


  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Azmodon For This Useful Post:

    NUBNUB (04-04-2018)

  13. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    38
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmodon View Post
    www.willtheyfit.com

    stock iirc is 185/60R15, on a 5.5" rim with 50(mm) offset -> I have no idea what the SR's rims are.

    Using the linked calculator and the stock rim dimensions though, you can plug in your proposed set up and have it give you what will change where.
    Stock for the SR fancy rims is 185/55/R16 on a 6inch. Offset on the steel wheels that came with the car is 40 or 42 (cant remember) with a 60.1 centre.

    I think I saw a post in the rim section here that had a show micra with 195/55R16 but there was no mention of offset which I think I understand now seeing those diagrams.

    Currently got my eyes on a set of SPARCO TROFEO 4 16'' X6.5" 37MM off set


    Last edited by NUBNUB; 04-04-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •