Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deciding, help (Toyota Echo owner considering Micra)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Deciding, help (Toyota Echo owner considering Micra)

Hi everyone reading, I'm new here.

I currently have a 2001 Toyota Echo which has been amazing to me. The thing has no rust, it's very reliable and never gives me any problems however in the next year I'll be looking to spend money on new tires and brake pads, shoes etc.

My questions are

1. Will a new Micra be as fuel efficient as my old Echo?
    2. How badly do nissan vehicles rust over 15 years or so? (with regular maintaining)
    3. Reliability? My Echo has over 275000km with no issues

Please give me some good honest advise. I need a car that will last and most importantly not rust away in ten years.

Thanks
    Hello David and welcome to the site!

Lets answer your nicely numbered questions in order:

1) Probably not. The Echo is still rated to have better fuel economy based on the new 2015 NRCAN ratings. However, the difference isn't huge.
    Echo 5 spd: 8.0 city / 6.3 hwy
    Echo auto: 8.6 city / 6.7 hwy
    Micra 5 spd: 8.6 city / 6.6 hwy
    Micra auto: 8.8 city / 6.6 hwy

2) I would say Nissans tend to probably be a little above average in the rust department from what I've seen.

3) While Nissan reliability isn't absolutely top notch (that goes to Toyota and Honda), it is pretty darn good. I'd say on average all OEMs have pretty darn good reliability these days, though I'd still stay away from Chrysler products...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    2. How badly do nissan vehicles rust over 15 years or so? (with regular maintaining)
    Define "regular maintaining"...

With an anti-rust treatment every few years, I imagine any car's body would outlast its engine/transmission, even on Ontario's salty winter roads.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    1. Probably depends on how you drive and what transmission you'll be using. Also would depend on where you're driving (highway, city); but all else being equal, you'd do slightly better in the Echo, given that it's a slightly smaller car that weighs a couple hundred pounds less with a slightly smaller engine. I personally doubt that it'll be significantly different.

2. There are still Micra's from 1987 on Canadian roads today.

3. I'm going to expect a million kilometers from mine. It's a solid engine that doesn't really have to work hard at all to keep the Micra moving. Well, unless it's loaded up with four adults and a hatch crammed full of stuff and maybe stuff on the roof racks...that might strain the engine a little.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    This is good news as I'm going from a automatic Echo to a manual (5-speed) Micra, the economy ratings are nearly the same.

Thanks for your reply!

Thanks
    Regular washes (once a week) properly, by hand. Monthly waxing. Annual Krown rust proofing or similar. Keeping the car in the garage. Things like that.

If I put the extra effort into looking after my Micra will it stay shiny and not rust away?

Thanks
    Nissan generously (and smartly, from a promotions perspective), gave a loyal customer a new Micra who had been driving her 1987 Micra since she bought it new. Below is a picture of the well-maintained car; hopefully the new Micra's body and inner workings will last as well when well maintained.

Thanks
    Mine will be garage kept and oiled for sure.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Regular washes (once a week) properly, by hand. Monthly waxing. Annual Krown rust proofing or similar. Keeping the car in the garage. Things like that.

If I put the extra effort into looking after my Micra will it stay shiny and not rust away?
    I think any car will last practically forever in good condition with that kind of attention. (And I'm not being facetious.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Monthly waxing and weekly washing might be a bit much. Weekly washing when there's slush on the roads, but when they're dry I'm sure a monthly wash would suffice. A bi-annual wax (spring, fall) would be more than sufficient for a garage kept car.

Probably the most important thing for keeping a car for a long time is to get the options you want.

Last edited by AlphaMicra; 05-21-2014 at 07:27 PM.