Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love the spare tire!

Thanks

Love the spare tire!

We know that Nissan will eventually redesign the Micra. When they do, I sincerely hope they keep the spare tire in the design. To me, this really sets the Micra apart from cars like the Hyundai Elantra, which left Jeff Bartlett flat: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...flat/index.htm

Consider this scenario: I'm commuting to work and I get a flat tire. I pull off to the side of the road. Here is how this would play out in my Micra:

Using the included jack and spare tire, I swap the flat tire for the spare in about 10 minutes. I show up to work 10 minutes later than usual, but since I usually arrive at least 15-20 minutes before work starts, I still arrive on time. I drop off the flat tire at the tire shop on the way home after work to have the tire repaired or replaced; I can leave it with them, as I can still drive around on my spare as much as I want. I then pick up the fixed or new tire and swap it back on at my leisure. My only expense is the repair or replacement of my tire.

Now, suppose I had a car like the Elantra:

Best case scenario is that the tire inflation kit works as advertised. Like the spare tire, I'm out roughly 10 minutes, so I get to work on time. However, I must schedule time at the tire shop ASAP. I have to wait at the tire shop while they work on my tire, so I'm out that additional time. Next, I have to make a trip to the dealership to pick up a new can of tire sealant at an additional cost of $94, costing me more money and time than if I had just had a spare tire to begin with.

A typical scenario is that the tire inflation kit will not work as advertised: http://www.wheels.ca/news/why-you-sh...tire-just-yet/ Now I'm going to be late for work as I wait for road side assistance. I lose half a day's pay as I need to deal with this flat tire issue ASAP. On top of the expense of repairing or replacing the tire, I'm still out $94 for a can of sealant.

Worst case scenario is that I don't have road side assistance, so in addition to all the misery above, I'm also out for the cost of the tow.

In any of these scenarios with the Elantra, I need to include the additional expense of on-going roadside assistance as long as I own the car, and I have to hope that I get a flat tire during regular business hours. For me, with the Micra, roadside assistance is completely unnecessary, and flat tires become a minor inconvenience that I can deal with at any time.

Thank you, Nissan, for being so considerate; I urge you to continue the practice of keeping the spare tire for the benefit of drivers everywhere.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Banned
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I dunno what you talking about because our 14 elantra has a jack and everything including a spare tire in the boot, sooo

Thanks
    ^
    The Elantra is a larger car then the Micra. While the Micra comes with a spare, other cars, especially some smaller ones, aren't coming with a spare tire by default anymore. Here's an article about the Kia Forte being missing such a spare. They instead come with the can of tire sealant by default. This saves the manufacturer money, and can also reduce the vehicles weight to give some saving in mileage, and maybe handling.

I consider the fact that even the least expensive Micra comes with a spare a considerable bonus. I'd rather have the option to remove it then not get it at all. In addition to AlphaMicra's work scenario, here in Alberta there are still spots with spotty or no cell reception, a long way from anywhere, especially in the mountains. Without the spare, you have to go to the first dodgy mechanic you can to get the tire fixed, and that's if the tire-repair kit even works. If it doesn't, you're hitching a ride or walking to get a cell signal. With the spare, you can continue onto to your destination, and get the original tire fixed while in the comfort of your hotel room.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ustauk For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (05-18-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    ^
    The Elantra is a larger car then the Micra.
    My local Hyundai dealership offered the spare tire kit at an additional cost; the standard base model Elantra I tested came with the tire inflation kit. It had nothing to do with the size, it has everything to do with Hyundai cutting corners and then hosing their customers after. Who knows, maybe some Hyundai dealerships are getting desperate for sales and are starting to include the optional spare tire kit because consumers are getting wise to their cheap tactics.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I made a video on how to use the spare tire in the Micra. It's surprisingly easy to get at and to use the included jack and tools.

Thanks
    I never drove a car which didn't have a spare tire...its old tech lol!

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Nice Video thank you. I noticed that you have your regular lug nuts in the package...that was one of the things I asked dealer not to put on is the wheel lock...and the lady who was doing my financial papers said it doesn't come with wheel lock and i said i see that demo ones have it and she said we install them.. when i received my car first thing i noticed it had wheel locks ( not a big deal ) I said to the sales person i will just put on the regular lug nuts when I go home. before I left i checked in the package and the lug nuts were missing only the lock was there...i asked the sales manager can i have the regular lug nuts back and he said those are factory installed we don't have them we have to order it for you. there were very nice about it so i am just waiting to get them so that i can install the regular lug nuts back on. My question...owners of Micra ..did your regular lug nuts come in the kit or was it missing as well (missing so that they can resell :+)

Thanks
    Yep. Its an option on the newest elantras. Seems that most dealerships order them in anyway by default.

I remember the Honda FIT in... 08-09 didnt have a spare. It came with the tire repair kit but only if you had the Automatic transmission...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    My original lugs were in that package in the glovebox, I didn't need to ask for them. I believe it was part of the PDI package. I'll bet whoever did your PDI just tossed them into a bin of lug nuts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hyedegha View Post
    Nice Video thank you. I noticed that you have your regular lug nuts in the package...that was one of the things I asked dealer not to put on is the wheel lock...and the lady who was doing my financial papers said it doesn't come with wheel lock and i said i see that demo ones have it and she said we install them.. when i received my car first thing i noticed it had wheel locks ( not a big deal ) I said to the sales person i will just put on the regular lug nuts when I go home. before I left i checked in the package and the lug nuts were missing only the lock was there...i asked the sales manager can i have the regular lug nuts back and he said those are factory installed we don't have them we have to order it for you. there were very nice about it so i am just waiting to get them so that i can install the regular lug nuts back on. My question...owners of Micra ..did your regular lug nuts come in the kit or was it missing as well (missing so that they can resell :+)
    I noticed a $55 charge for wheel locks on the invoice they e-mailed me...WTH? Wheel locks on a micra? LOL!

Anyone who needs to steal Micra wheels, probably deserves them more than I do.

Dealer said they put them on all cars when they arrive, OK whatever. I just told them they can remove the locks before I pick up the car, but they couldn't be bothered. The stock nuts were in the glove box inside the locking nuts packaging.

Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...