Thread: Wheel hub movement normal?

Thanks

Wheel hub movement normal?

Question?
    Is it normal for wheel hubs to wobble, even a tiny little Or are they supposed to be true and flat 90° to the axel? The video you're about to watch is with a rotor on the wheel hub assembly. A brand new rotor was installed and the same thing happened but that part is not in the video. So I want to be clear there is no problems or warpage with this rotor, it is perfectly shaped the way it's supposed to be.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    My guess... Wheel bearing or bent half shaft?
    Last edited by Chef Groleau; 12-03-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks
    i would say thats "normal", its not a place that affects anything.

now the wheel STUDS, should not do that (ie no runout) but that outer hub area isnt affecting ANYTHING

(you could argue balance i guess, but it isnt very far outboard and they dont balance brake rotors)

it should be perfectly machined on an "off center" casting ie the bits that "dont matter" may be "offcenter"
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    (regurgitating Chrysler superintendent comments) It looks like the hub's ring (and likely face) are rusted on one side, any small amount can throw out the centreing. You can take pics of that and post as well or just clean the crap off really well, as not being centred, or being tipped by a few thou off the hub face will cause this kind of 'wobble'. Would explain the issue carrying over from one rotor to the next without being something catastrophic.

The exterior of a rotor housing can be out of shape from factory - they are cast so some deformation is to be expected, it's the interior surface that gets machined and balanced.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp) ... 14.1 km/L ... 33.3 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I took a deflection gauge up to the wheel hub itself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Can you try the wheel hub outter ring (top of the hub)

can you drive it slowly to see is those shaking/play from inside of the shaft?

For me, that only means your wheel hub surface is smooth....

Thanks
    if you dont feel a vibration its fine....if you do the runout on the hub ie 90 degrees to what you did...if its zero its fine if its like .125 its not'''i would be interested in lug stud "runout"...i bet thats near zero

I AGREE WITH AZMODON...WHO SEEMS TO AGREE WITH ME...CAPSLOCK STUCK sorry
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Banned
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    There is definitely some realignment there