Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: law suit against Nissan for the not so precise odometer

Thanks

law suit against Nissan for the not so precise odometer

I know it's in French, but this article explain the case of a person who went to court against Nissan Canada because his car odometer run lower than it should. And as we all know, this is very true. When I am at 100km/h, my car actually show 95. This not such a big deal except for the mileage under warranty.

They say that when your car is at real 100,000 km, the odometer will display 105,000 to 110,000, which may make a huge difference if something break at 105,000 km and would be passed the warranty allowed mileage but should have still been covered because the real mileage would actually be under 100,000km, so still covered.

I think NIssan Canada should issue a recall for this. It's freaking annoying! When I drive on the highway at 110km, everybody is passing me, even the huge trucks and I think they can't go higher than 105km?

here is the article, only in French but you can use a translation tool:

http://www.protegez-vous.ca/automobi...sommateur.html

Verdict: Nissan Canada a été condamnée à payer 3 000 $, plus les intérêts et les frais de cour.

Nissan Canada had to pay 3,000$ plus fees.

And what about those who rent like me and have an annual limit? It's NOT fair!

Last edited by dani3d; 05-21-2015 at 01:02 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dani3d For This Useful Post:

LilGeckos (10-21-2015),MetroMPG (05-27-2015)

Thanks
    I think it's the other way around. Your car show 100km/h but you are at 95km/h.
    I did a test with my Micra and it was 120km/h on the car and 113km/h on the GPS.
    Should I call Nissan??

Thanks
    Hi Matriq,

Check the thread on the odometer and speedometer, everyone has a over estimated unit. When actual speed is 100Km/h, the speedometer shows 105. As Dani stated, the issue can be when you reached the end of your warranty according to that odometer. 105000 Km indicated is truly 100000km. Not cool if you are unlucky enough to be in that range of "not covered".

I was thinking of getting mine tweaked, but then they could complain and void my warranty. So I believe I will opt to change tire geometry instead. Should I claim anything, I'll put back the original wheels before taking it to the dealer. ;-)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    As soon as I get my Micra delivered, I will check that. Dang it, I hate hearing stuff like that.

Thanks
    But I am not sure the total mileage is affected or is it just the speedometer that has a wrong reading? I will do some test with distance to see. Next time I do a decent ride, I will bring the GPS and I will compare the actual mileage with a map, and with the GPS. If it's only the speedometer, then I don't mind. If it's the odometer, then they will definitly hear from me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dani3d For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dani3d View Post
    But I am not sure the total mileage is affected or is it just the speedometer that has a wrong reading? I will do some test with distance to see. Next time I do a decent ride, I will bring the GPS and I will compare the actual mileage with a map, and with the GPS. If it's only the speedometer, then I don't mind. If it's the odometer, then they will definitly hear from me.
    Let us know! As soon as I get mine I will check it out too, and I will gladly have a talk with consumers protection thingy about this.

Thanks
    It has to be both, think about it. The wheels move the thing inside that displays both, distance and speed. Otherwise it would need to sensors, one for each. If speed is off by say 5%. so is the distance. Next time you go on a long trip, reset your trip counter next to one of those green Km markers. If you can drive 100Km according to the markers, compare it with the trip journal aboard the car. Should be easy to do. I bet it will be off by the same percentage of the speed. I had mine measured against a police lidar. Nor super scientific, as I tried to maintain 100Km/h according to it (I was reading the speed off the ODBII port to get a digital reading). Same thing happens with the trip counter, Dash-Commander pulls the distance from OBDII but does not match what I planned with TomTom.
    Anyhow, happy testing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Thanks

inaccurate speedometer <> inaccurate odometer

Quote Originally Posted by lbarouf View Post
    It has to be both, think about it.
    Not necessarily. The speedometer is driven by the computer, which receives the signal from the transmission. It's possible to program an offset (addition) into the speedometer and not affect the odometer. We're long past the days of a direct cable connection to the needle & little gears in the gauge cluster.

The SR that I had for a week: I checked its odometer and it was accurate, but the speedometer was off by ~5% like everyone else's. HOWEVER: the OBD-II value for speed (read with a ScanGauge) was accurate. That suggests to me the speedometer is programmed with an offset.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    There are actually a few really good speedometer correctors available aftermarket if anyone wants one, don't be scared of a little soldering and splicing though. And you'll need to open your cluster.

Thanks
    just read the article....man, it's more than just Micras, it's also freakin INFINITIs?? tsk tsk nissan. I'd barely forgive it for a econobox but for a 30k+ vehicle that's pretty bad, imo.