Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound Proofing

Thanks
    I plan to get a couple of types, the tar deadening ones are supposed to be okay for the hood, I will get rubberized spray inside all 4 wheel wells aswell and if I feel like it I may do the whole undercarriage with it to try and help.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to brady For This Useful Post:

HammyJ (04-07-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    turn the radio up..dont hear wheel bearings,belt noise, the guy next to you,tappets, etc JK!
    I already do that, but my wife is not keen on having the radio blaring with a baby in the car...

Thanks
    Gutsy effort trying to make a K13 quiet!
    I recently bought a 2011 Australian spec 1.5 manual Micra and its certainly got its good points but NOISE is probably its worst!
    I've analysed why its noisy compared to all the other small hatches I've owned going back many years.
    It bothers me that my K13 has a rear mounted exhaust. All my other lil cars had front mounted exhausts.
    I can see small threaded posts welded to the engine bay side of the firewall/bulkhead and scuttle so Nissan allowed for the fitment of soundproofing pads but never fitted any, BAD MOVE!
    Its interesting that my other car here, a 2017 Suzuki Swift auto is quiet but then it has a front mounted exhaust, soundproofing pads on firewall/bulkhead and scuttle and the underside of the bonnet/hood plus it has VERY thick bonded carpets with thick fabric underlay attached.
    Most of my past cars had little or no sound proofing and thin carpets but not all were noisy.
    My K13 has VERY low gear ratios compared to my other cars. I have to short shift to avoid using high revs and the resulting ROAR. Silly choice of gear ratios!
    Some cars simply have components that are either quiet or noisy and harmonics and vibrations that buzz around the body are expensive to eliminate. Car makers don't as a rule bother making small economy cars refined.
    Trying to retro fit soundproofing to the engine bay side of the firewall/bulkhead looks to be impossible with the engine in place
    Its just too crowded in there and the scuttle on the K13 is not removable as it was on my K12.
    Last edited by UAMUWT; 11-13-2021 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks
    I decided to try adding soundproofing to my 2011 K13 but already its fighting me pretty good.
    Except for the dash the interior is mostly stripped out.
    My headliner is not just mechanically fastened at the edges like my K12 was. Its been glued over much of the central area so it won't come out, bummer
    Carpets were fitted before the dash so the only way to get them out without cutting them is to remove the dash. NOT an appealing idea
    Some good news though.
    The firewall/bulkhead on mine has a chopped cloth pad on the inside face and the carpets are thick with bonded chopped cloth underlay (decent quality) so its scary to think how rowdy the K13 would be without this fairly good cabin soundproofing!
    At this point I will try to add a layer of foil backed butyl rubber to the inside floor and I will try to add underfloor soundproofing to the exterior/underside. Adding extra rubbery stonechip coating to the wheelwells might help. I plan to stick some kind of sound deadening mat to the underside of the bonnet/hood though not sure what type yet.

Last edited by UAMUWT; 11-20-2021 at 07:23 PM.