Thread: Does anyone here use a dash cam in their Micra?

Thanks

Does anyone here use a dash cam in their Micra?

Hey everyone,

In my last car I had a dash cam that I had installed. I got tired of being cut off, almost rear ended and side swiped at lights and signs for people not paying attention. Today I almost got t-boned from a guy(in a Versa) not yielding to me at a stop sign(he had the sign) while I had the right away. I had to swerve right to avoid him hitting me on my drivers side. I'm sure everyone can figure out the words and gestures I was using and obviously not a smiling face. It's the last straw and I'm putting a camera(front facing for now) back in my vehicle. I was wondering what other members were using? Also will a cam stick to that sticker/mesh behind the rear view mirror?

Thanks.

Senior Member Micra In The Mountains's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ABMicra17 View Post
    Hey everyone,

In my last car I had a dash cam that I had installed. I got tired of being cut off, almost rear ended and side swiped at lights and signs for people not paying attention. Today I almost got t-boned from a guy(in a Versa) not yielding to me at a stop sign(he had the sign) while I had the right away. I had to swerve right to avoid him hitting me on my drivers side. I'm sure everyone can figure out the words and gestures I was using and obviously not a smiling face. It's the last straw and I'm putting a camera(front facing for now) back in my vehicle. I was wondering what other members were using? Also will a cam stick to that sticker/mesh behind the rear view mirror?

Thanks.
    My wife and I decided to get our first dash cam before our 2017 Canada Day trip to the Kootenays, here is the basic model we bought from Napa Auto Parts (on sale for $25 at the time):

Name:  NWMDC.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  13.6 KB

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/UCFEK142CAM

The resolution isn't that great (you pretty much have to be within 50 feet or so behind the other car to see their license plate clearly at 1080p) but for $25 we weren't expecting much. It has a small L-ion battery that can run the unit for only a few minutes unplugged, so we have a USB Y-adapter (2 USB ports) that plugs into the cigarette lighter and connects to the cam with a 3 ft cord (have to be careful where you run it!). The other USB connection is for our smart phone we use as our GPS maps device, we have that on a CD slot mounting bracket on the dash (since we don't listen to CD's in the car anymore, we just plug the phone headphone jack into the Aux cable jack on our basic factory stereo in the Little Guy). - See our post somewhere in "Interior Mods" for the model we use on our phone.

With a 32 GB micro SD card (the maximum this unit will take), we can record several continuous hours of dash cam video (we decided to disable sound recording) at 1080p, should be good enough for a day's drive. At night we transfer our recorded vids to a larger storage medium (i.e. our laptop with an external hard drive or high capacity flash drive) so we'll have a blank micro SD card for the next day. So far no accidents, but it's nice to have than extra piece of evidence....Also, we use the videos for the driving portion of our trips, if we want to include them in our home videos. There is a infrared night function, but we haven't used it. Vids taken during the day appear OK, we have no ides what this basic model will do at night...

We've mounted the suction cup on clear windshield glass underneath the rear view mirror (not too terribly obtrusive), and the camera slides off its suction cup and we store it in an old small digital camera case in the glove compartment when not it use, to prevent theft. There might be other models out there that might have the features and resolution you need, might be a good idea to do some shopping around...
    Last edited by Micra In The Mountains; 08-06-2017 at 01:26 PM.
    Nice!

Thanks
    I ordered an Auto-Vox A118-C B40C based on the review from here http://mymicra.com/?p=586

Waiting on that to arrive in June. Will be hardwiring it using a kit.

I like how slim and hidden this camera is, stays out of the line of sight of the driver.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ontario_micra View Post
    I ordered an Auto-Vox A118-C B40C based on the review from here http://mymicra.com/?p=586

Waiting on that to arrive in June. Will be hardwiring it using a kit.

I like how slim and hidden this camera is, stays out of the line of sight of the driver.
    I had the same camera in my car before the Micra. I have pretty much the same camera in it now(Micra), just a different name. They're okay camera's, the quality is okay, night time not so great. So far I get over a year out of the 2 camera's that I have had. I also leave them in the car during the winter, which you shouldn't. The one that I have no seems to be having issues to where no video is shown but you can hear the audio. Now when I push the triangle to hold video it doesn't. I did have the back camera but because it was mounted on the hatch it would get rattled around and eventually something in the camera broke and it wouldn't stay still on the inside. I wasn't expecting much to begin with. I ended up taking out the back camera and just using the front.

I would suggest you hard wire it. I didn't so I have the only 12V being used by the camera. You can place it just behind the rear view mirror and you can't see it. I've seen guys have camera's you can see in their window's attached with a suction cup, I wouldn't do that. Using a suction cup in the winter time won't stay on the window. But for a cheap camera I didn't have high expectations so I hope you don't either.

I have some videos from the dash cam if you want to take a look. It's all times during the day and some in the evening.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdi...ry5YZqTbww5C8A Go under the "you drive like a moron" and you can tell.

On yeah! When I got rid of my old car and got the Micra, I forgot to take the 3M off the window. When I looked online at the time, they wanted $45.00 CDN for the new 3M and it was going to come from the US. And there was that only place. So just so you know.

Thanks
    my camera is mounted to the rearview inside mirror, i bought a cheap adapter from ebay that goes around the stem of the mirror and i screwed the dashcam too it. the dashcam is hidden by the mirror so i cant see the dashcam ie its not in my field of view. It was very easy to tuck the wire in the roof liner and a pillar. i tapped the 12V outlet for power....a bit of a fiddle, and ran power wire to passenger footwell behind glovebox where it connects to camera
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    I have mine behind the rear view mirror, just under that black, bumpy sticker. You can't see mine while driving but I am use to it so I don't notice it anymore. You can't see it from the front unless you're really looking for it. When I had my back camera you could see it. Not much to mount to on a hatch. To me, if you can see my camera and you're driving, you're too close.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ABMicra17 View Post
    I had the same camera in my car before the Micra. I have pretty much the same camera in it now(Micra), just a different name. They're okay camera's, the quality is okay, night time not so great. So far I get over a year out of the 2 camera's that I have had. I also leave them in the car during the winter, which you shouldn't. The one that I have no seems to be having issues to where no video is shown but you can hear the audio. Now when I push the triangle to hold video it doesn't. I did have the back camera but because it was mounted on the hatch it would get rattled around and eventually something in the camera broke and it wouldn't stay still on the inside. I wasn't expecting much to begin with. I ended up taking out the back camera and just using the front.

I would suggest you hard wire it. I didn't so I have the only 12V being used by the camera. You can place it just behind the rear view mirror and you can't see it. I've seen guys have camera's you can see in their window's attached with a suction cup, I wouldn't do that. Using a suction cup in the winter time won't stay on the window. But for a cheap camera I didn't have high expectations so I hope you don't either.

I have some videos from the dash cam if you want to take a look. It's all times during the day and some in the evening.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdi...ry5YZqTbww5C8A Go under the "you drive like a moron" and you can tell.

On yeah! When I got rid of my old car and got the Micra, I forgot to take the 3M off the window. When I looked online at the time, they wanted $45.00 CDN for the new 3M and it was going to come from the US. And there was that only place. So just so you know.
    I installed mine today, was going to use the add a fuse, but then decided that the cigarette lighter would be good enough for now as I wasn't confident in messing with the fuse panel just yet. I think I can safely add it to the 12V cigarette lighter fuse. So for now I just have pass-through, which isn't fast-charging my phone but at least it's charging. Mounted behind the rear-view so I can't even see it while driving.

Thanks
    Git-up Git2P action camera running as DVR on my K13 for nearly 2 years now, powered by the 12 V socket using a twin USB port car charger. It does a beautiful job recording 1080p videos and the night time recording is still acceptable.

I've mounted it on the front windshield, slightly below the rear-view mirror.