Thread: Changing spark plugs

Thanks

Changing spark plugs

I am getting ready to remove my intake manifold to give it a little paint job. Bought some primer and paint today, will attack this project once I get some free time in the comming weeks.

Anyways, this project has made me realise that in order to change the spark plugs on the HR16DE engine, you need to drain the coolant, remove air intake and throttle body, remove the intake manifold. Then you need to replace the seal on manifold. This has to be the stupidest design I ever seen.

Ive owned over 15 different cars from many manufacturers. Honda, Vw, Mazda, Geo, Mercedes, Volvo, Ford, Subaru, Chevy, Kia and finally a Nissan. I have never taken more then 10-15 min to change spark splugs on any car. Nissan has figured out how to turn a simple task into a job thats gona be over an hour, not to mention costlier.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chef Groleau For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-29-2017)

Thanks
    Sounds like a crazy setup...here is a link I found (not in English) that shows the spark plug change. It may be applicable since the engine # is listed as the same.
    Replacement of spark plugs Nissan hr16de Qashqai Sentra Tiida Note Micra Wingroad

https://youtu.be/VJ4SxbtIfww

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2016 Micra Active manual: 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.9 mpg (Imp) ... 16.6 km/L ... 39.0 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ajijic For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-28-2017),Pete (05-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Groleau View Post
    I am getting ready to remove my intake manifold to give it a little paint job. Bought some primer and paint today, will attack this project once I get some free time in the comming weeks.

Anyways, this project has made me realise that in order to change the spark plugs on the HR16DE engine, you need to drain the coolant, remove air intake and throttle body, remove the intake manifold. Then you need to replace the seal on manifold. This has to be the stupidest design I ever seen.

Ive owned over 15 different cars from many manufacturers. Honda, Vw, Mazda, Geo, Mercedes, Volvo, Ford, Subaru, Chevy, Kia and finally a Nissan. I have never taken more then 10-15 min to change spark splugs on any car. Nissan has figured out how to turn a simple task into a job thats gona be over an hour, not to mention costlier.
    That's cuz they have expensive long lasting plugs which basically last the whole time.
    Takes a long time to change the timing chain instead of a belt too

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPUL View Post
    That's cuz they have expensive long lasting plugs which basically last the whole time.
    Takes a long time to change the timing chain instead of a belt too
    That's a pretty ****ty defense for bad design lol.

I was actually worried about this once I saw the manifold up close. My partner had an old Kia Sportage and early Korean engineering had a lot of quirks, including it being stuuupid to change the spark plugs, coils and headlight bulbs. Conversely, my Honda uses the same spark plugs as the the Micra but is extremely easy to wrench on.

Thanks
    My 06' Ford you had to remove a bunch of things just to change a headlight bulb. All the spark plugs were along the top. A Micra, totally different lol.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    i think there is a misconception here, i found that it is absolutely not necessary and has no relation at all with radiator coolant, and there is absolutely no relation on changing spark plugs and radiator coolant is a different job and no not all because the location is far by distance and has no cable whatsoever connected !

NISSAN MARCH/MICRA has the best design so far when to change spark plug because

1. when you want to change spark plug absolutely your TB will already dirty even intake manifold that should be disconnected also has carbon deposits to be cleaned

2. if somebody wants to change spark plug it is not as battery dead that you must do it right-away when somebody wants to change spark plug in march/micra that guy can change them at any time convenient to him and also he will see dirty TB and dirty manifold which occurs ONLY when that person change spark plugs in nissan micra NOT IN HONDA they will not realize dirty TB and DIRTY manifold which can leads to unstable performance and in the long run damaging the canister or gas consumption

3. micra has been designed to be long run car easy to be maintained an when you change spark plugs you will also clean TB and clean the manifold == one time work for all

4. great procedure i love this mechanism and this is the first time i realize that manifold can be dirty by carbon deposit and luckily i have micra that i can clean manifold ALSO very easily !! >>> sad for those having honda not realizing dirty manifold and it will take more stringent difficulties to open those manifold in honda

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    this is my first time experience changing spark plugs on micra

https://micra-forum.com/showthread.p...ra-spark-plugs

remember NO NEED to change seals it is perfectly stand still when you dismantle the manifold, just clean the carbon on TB and manifold also, but you can buy the seals for spares to keep !

ALSO NO NEED AT ALL to change coolant has no relation at all whatsoever !! no connection at all !!!
    Last edited by micra-indo; 07-17-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micra-indo View Post
    this is my first time experience changing spark plugs on micra

https://micra-forum.com/showthread.p...ra-spark-plugs

remember NO NEED to change seals it is perfectly stand still when you dismantle the manifold, just clean the carbon on TB and manifold also, but you can buy the seals for spares to keep !

ALSO NO NEED AT ALL to change coolant has no relation at all whatsoever !! no connection at all !!!
    Lol. Are you being paid by Nissan Indonesia?

Anyone who wants to clean their intake manifold or throttle body can, at any given time, regardless of their spark plugs. Also can't say I've ever seen carbon buildup on the throttle body or intake manifold of a small, naturally aspirated inline-4. Unless you're talking about one of the boosted inline-3 engines or diesels available overseas.

We only have the HR16DE in Canada.

Aspects of any car can suck or just not be totally convenient and that's okay! I still love my Micra.