Thread: SRG trailer hitch install question?

Thanks

SRG trailer hitch install question?

So I received the hitch the other day. Pulled it out and started to install tonight.
    Anyone else who has done this?
    What is the bolt on the passenger side going into?
    And how do you get it in.

--

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.6 L/100 km ... 43.0 mpg (Imp) ... 15.2 km/L ... 35.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks

Solved?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham18ce View Post
    So I received the hitch the other day. Pulled it out and started to install tonight.
    Anyone else who has done this?
    What is the bolt on the passenger side going into?
    And how do you get it in.
    Hi,

were you able to install the trailer hitch receiver?
    how did it go?
    do you have pictures? thanks!

Thanks
    Hitch install went easy. The passenger side was through a pice of sheet metal. Not much.

Don’t have any pics off hand. But the bolt goes through the hole and you fish the nut on the wire to meet it.

I use it to carry BMX bikes for myself and 2 kids.
    The rack had been good for the first year and has since bent. Just not up to the weight of the 150lbs of bikes and rack. Even though it has a 200 tongue weight.
    The offset of the weight and bouncing of the road with the crappy sheet metal would allow to much flex.

Quote Originally Posted by mrigor View Post
    Hi,

were you able to install the trailer hitch receiver?
    how did it go?
    do you have pictures? thanks!
    --

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.6 L/100 km ... 43.0 mpg (Imp) ... 15.2 km/L ... 35.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham18ce View Post
    Hitch install went easy. The passenger side was through a pice of sheet metal. Not much.

Don’t have any pics off hand. But the bolt goes through the hole and you fish the nut on the wire to meet it.

I use it to carry BMX bikes for myself and 2 kids.
    The rack had been good for the first year and has since bent. Just not up to the weight of the 150lbs of bikes and rack. Even though it has a 200 tongue weight.
    The offset of the weight and bouncing of the road with the crappy sheet metal would allow to much flex.

oh, thanks for that, i was just about to buy it.
    so would a roof rack be better?

Thanks
    Well, i suppose what rack you buy would make a difference and how heavy combined the bikes are..and how many you carry...one mountain bike is likely good, two depending on the type of hitch rack and how far it offsets from the car...

I have 3 BMX race bikes...about 20-23 lbs each (60-65 lbs total weight). The hitch rack is about 50 lbs so say 150 total weight, likely less, but play safe...

the biggest problem i see is the weight is offset from the car - about 2 ft from the hitch for the center of the weight.
    this gets amplified on bumps in the road...

I'm starting looking at roof racks, but really dont want to be spending 500-600 on a rack, then 300-500 on carriers for 3 bikes...

Quote Originally Posted by mrigor View Post
    oh, thanks for that, i was just about to buy it.
    so would a roof rack be better?
    --

Thanks
    I i was loaded up to hit BMX practice last night so i shot a couple pics of the load...
    you can see the bend in the main support on the tow eye. this happens due to the lack of support else where in the hitch mounting points. I'm under the tongue weight by a fair margin, but the pendulum effect of the offset cause flex in the sheet metal hanger and the trunk support...

Name:  IMG_8145.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  97.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_8144.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  96.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_8143.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  95.3 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    --