Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What car will you drive next?

Thanks

What car will you drive next?

So for many, the Micra is their first new car, and I know that some people have already traded it in or moved on to another car. For me, my Micra was something I never thought I'd check off on my bucket list without moving to Europe, but three years later, I'm thinking about my next move.

I'll get the ball rolling. I've put on over 100,000 kilometers on my Micra since I bought it in 2014. I gave my 2009 Pontiac Torrent to my son to drive as his first car in order to keep his insurance rates down. When his rates do go down, I intend on giving him my Micra to drive so that he can enjoy the gas savings while he starts his first career, and I'll get my Pontiac Torrent back so that I can enjoy the comfortable seating position. Even though my Torrent is 8 years old, it just passed 100,000 kilometers, so it should be good for a while yet. It's all wheel drive with a V6 engine and 5 speed automatic, and so its fuel economy is roughly half that of the Micra. Eventually, I'll probably replace the Torrent with something along the lines of the Ford F150 work truck with the Ecoboost engine, which gets similar fuel economy as my Torrent, or the Dodge Ram 1500 work truck, which is just slightly worse. Mostly because of my trade, when I write my master's a few years from now, it'll be a tool for my business.

How about you? Do you plan on keeping your Micra forever, are you thinking about trading it in, or maybe just keep it in the family for the kids?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-05-2017)

Thanks

already got my next ones

Good topic!

I already know what TWO cars I'm driving next - I bought them last summer & fall.

Neither of these is on the road yet. They need a bit of work.

1) 2000 Chevy Metro

Name:  IMG642.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  92.7 KB

I picked this up for $1k in Montreal. 1.0L, 5-speed of course. The previous owners were meticulous, and spared no expense on maintenance & rustproofing, plus kept it immaculate inside and out. I'll continue to have it rust-proofed, and it will become my winter car for the foreseeable future.

It has 200k on it (low for the year), and many key new parts (exhaust, clutch, alternator, 2 sets of tires) and just needs a steering rack or inner tie rod ends (not sure which yet) to pass safety.

2) 1990 Mazda Miata

Name:  IMG775.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  90.9 KB

This was a spur of the moment $700 purchase last fall. 216k kms, 5-speed of course. Cosmetically, it's bad, but I don't really care. Mechanically, it's not terrible, though it needs some general TLC and the floor needs a patch welded in (worn out top = wet carpet = rust). It's a hoot to drive. It will share non-winter duty with my '98 Firefly for the foreseeable future.

3) Micra?

Are you detecting a pattern in my vehicular budget? (Remember the $1k Echo?)

I watch used Micra prices regularly. One day one will be in my price range!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (04-05-2017)

Thanks
    I'm curious to know how you went about scoring that immaculate Metro. Was it in the Auto Trader, a local Kijiji/Craigslist, or did you just happen upon it?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Kijiji email alert with a 200km search radius. I'd been watching for over a year.

A couple of even better ones (lower kms) came up in Toronto last year, but I considered the trip a bit too far to go kick tires on a cheap, old car.

The Miata belonged to my relative's neighbour. He hadn't driven it for a year, but hadn't advertised it for sale either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (04-05-2017)

Senior Member Micra In The Mountains's Avatar
    Thanks
    Probably something Nissan and hybrid; considering where things may be going a few years from now...

Name:  future-car-nissan-content-sharing-screens-futuristic-1.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  74.3 KB
    Nice!

Thanks
    My plan is to drive it for 10 years-ish. I've got a project car I might sell for a bike in the somewhat near future and we've got a Ridgeline as our recreational vehicle up here.

I'm hoping in a decade EV infrastructure will be more commonplace in Canada. Japan released a version of the Note that is (what I find to be) the best transition vehicle from petrol to EV. It is strictly powered by the electric motor with all the benefits that come with it and uses a 1.2L inline 3 cylinder gasoline engine to power the alternator as needed. Something like that with the e-awd option available could do very well here in Northern Canada. I guess we'll see what happens!

Thanks
    I plan to keep mine for another 2-3 years.

I like the Alfa romeo giulietta, maybe be able to get a 2nd hand that cost 50k new for 10k in 2020

Thanks
    My next car is very likely going to be a 1960's Volvo 122 wagon,
    I previously owned a 1968 Volvo 142S and loved it a lot. That is until a tourist in a rental SUV desided to write it off for me.
    What I have learned from owning the 142 is that its very easy to work on these cars, but parts can be hard to find. So you do need a reliable daily driver to go along with it. Now that I saved a bundle by buying a Micra. I have both a reliable car, and extra $ to buy the car I really wanted in the first place. Name:  IMG_0929.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  82.6 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chef Groleau For This Useful Post:

ptbo micra (08-01-2017)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My next vehicle will very likely be a full electric. If you've never driven one you really should try them out. The torque is great, and they're darn near silent which makes for a very nice ride. A used Leaf these days is incredibly reasonably priced and I have my eye out for a 2013+ (they updated things at that point). I don't need to be able to cross the country with it. Most of my driving is less than 10 miles away, so the Leaf would be perfect. Alternatively if I can find a cheap i-MiEV I'd be willing to go with that. A used Volt is also a possibility, but a bit less so.

Thanks
    I've only had my Micra for a month and I half and I haven't really thought anything passed that. I was going to wait another year or two but since that my last car ended up car heaven I had to get the Micra a lot earlier then expected. I would like to keep the Micra until it dies. Since that I am the only one that drives it and I am very meticulous about maintenance, it should last me a long time. Since that I drive less then 15,000 km's a year I should be good for a long while. I'd like to see the advances in EV and I am sure that over the next 5-10 years they are going to be even better then they are now before I think of my next vehicle.