Thread: Review 2016 Micra SV automatic

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Review 2016 Micra SV automatic

Hi Group:
    I have been lurking on this forum since before the first Micras hit the market. I was here when Ant Ruby bought hers and we all read each and every word she wrote . I am probably the oldest member of the group at age 69 and have come from driving a 2000 and then a 2005 Hyundai Accent. They were reliable cars and did the job but were not "Grin inducing".

I bought the Micra 7 months and 6500 km ago. I like this car better than any that I have owned over the last 50 years. It seems to be so right for me at this time.

I like the peppy engine . Even though it is only 5 HP more than the Accent it feels like about 15 HP more. The engine has a wider power band and never seems to run out of breath.

The brakes are great. I found the ABS and the steering nannies made driving in snow a lot better than the older technology cars I have driven. The brakes grab a bit differently than what I am used to but you get used to it in a matter of a few minutes.

Handling is great. A tall car like this should be a lot sloppier in the corners. This one goes where you point it without any drama. I don't have to worry about the slow to 50 bends because the Micra goes around them easily at 70 .

I find the seats suit me very well. This was not the case with the Versa. I like the higher position as it makes access easier and the tall windows make visibility so much better than other cars. I am looking at you 2016 Accent and Rio.

Around town the car is quiet. That is very subjective... it is quieter than previous cars. At 120 Kmh the RPM is 3000 and the road roar is definitely there. It is possible that different tires would quiet things down. When I put Nokians on my Accent highway noise was noticeably reduced

Other cars I considered were the Accent - Poor rear visibility was a deal breaker. Kia Rio- I felt like I was driving it from the back seat ( The Honda Fit struck me the same way) . The Spark was quite nice , I liked that it was quiet and that the solar reflective glass made a big difference on a hot sunny day - however the salesman was a shark and I just ran away from that one. The Soul was nice but bigger than I wanted and too thirsty. The Yaris had a lot of good stuff going for it but I just couldn't adjust the seat so that it was comfortable. Finally the car that kicked me in the nuts.... I was stepping into a Hyundai Tucson.... there was a plastic or paper mat on the floor which slid as I hopped into the car. I came down hard on the outside seat bolster and POW! instant pain.. No sale.

I love the Micra. Everytime I get into it I like it more. This has never happened to me before. WOW. When I see one go driving by it always puts a smile on my face.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rupert Rabbit For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-02-2017)

Thanks
    Official welcome, Rupert Rabbit!

Thanks for posting your impressions, especially vs. all the other cars you considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Rabbit View Post
    Ant Ruby bought hers and we all read each and every word she wrote
    Too bad she doesn't post anymore. I suppose for some people the "new car excitement" wears off after a while, which is normal.

Handling is great. A tall car like this should be a lot sloppier in the corners. This one goes where you point it without any drama.
    Yes indeed - probably to me the car's best point is its unexpectedly good steering & handling. Good thing you didn't try a Mirage, because its handling would have exactly met your low expectations: sloppy in the corners (though improved slightly for the current model year, still can't touch the Micra for putting a smile on your face in the curves).

I find the seats suit me very well. This was not the case with the Versa.
    You mean Versa Note? I assumed they were the same seat. However, maybe the base Versa Note seats are only 4-way adjustable like the base Micra's. And I MUCH prefer the 6-way adjustable seat in the SV/SR. Much more comfy.

Glad you're enjoying it so much & welcome again.

Darin

PS: you should make a garage entry for yours...
    Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...