Thread: New owner looking at a Curt hitch

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New owner looking at a Curt hitch

Hello All. I'm taking delivery of a 2016 Micra tomorrow. I'm rather excited, after 10 years of driving full size 70's/80's GM's I think it will be refreshing being able to park almost anywhere!
    Sorry if I missed this in the search somewhere, but I am looking at installing a trailer hitch (somewhere for my mountain bike while my dogs on-board). I saw one was quite happy with http://www.srgattacheremorque.com/tr...-Class%201,508. I have also found a Curt hitch for about $100 dollars, but the only review is very vague regarding cutting some plastic...https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=201651560.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this Curt brand hitch? I'm more than capable of cutting something if needed, but really don't much care for the thought of cutting out a chunk of bumper. Cheers all, glad to join the community!

Thanks
    i have no experinec with either but the SRG looks very compact and that might be 163 CAD +20CAD shipping ive heard. the CURT is 100 USD + USDshipping i would think+duty+the "wall tax" lol
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    I haven't purchased or installed either one of these hitches...but have been interested in purchasing one to hold a few BMX's on the back...currently using a hatch mount rack...
    I noticed the Curt hitch has a 100 lbs tongue rating, the other has a 200 lbs rating...
    In anycase...here is a great install link for the curt hitch
    https://assets.curtmfg.com/masterlib..._11453_INS.PDF

Cheers Graham
    --

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.6 L/100 km ... 43.0 mpg (Imp) ... 15.2 km/L ... 35.8 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Good timing, I was just going to post the Instructions for that Curt hitch in case anyone else was interested. I can get it for about $160, so I'll probably order it up this week. Nice job pointing out the tongue weight difference, I hadn't even considered the extra 100lbs. Most of the hitch mount racks I'm looking at weigh in around 25lbs, my bike weighs 30lbs at most. So two bikes+rack should keep me under than 100lbs limit.
    I'm guessing the extra tongue weight is afforded by attaching to the trunk floor...may look into adding a brace on the Curt hitch I have a concern. Will post some photos during install.

Thanks
    Any update? Would love to see some pics as I'm curious if the Curt hitch be hidden or not.

Thanks
    Sorry for the delay, hitch was back-ordered and finally came in this weekend. Overall, very happy with the hitch. Install is fairly easy, but a bit of advice. The rear bumper holds a ton of dirt, so be mindful to protect your eyes when removing the lower plastic filler piece. The clips also get full of dust and dirt and can be very hard to removed without breaking the heads off...as me how I know. A large portion of the drivers side of that panel gets cut, as well as a square around the hitch receiver. Not noted in the instructions, but I found I had to trim a bit off the vertical part near the exhaust to clear the hitch as well. Once re-installed its hidden fairly well, and only a small part of the hitch is visible.
    I also lucked out and managed to find a NOS Swagman rack for $80, which made me pretty happy. Best of all, while it does not fold, it is far enough out to allow the hatch to open and close, with the bike and rack still on the vehicle. Sorry about the lack of photos, but if you have any questions I'd be happy to help.
    On a side note, I've removed the rear seats and made a little cargo/dog platform. So I'm in just around $14 500 for a car that does everything I need to, can park anywhere, and is fun and economical to drive. Coming from large, old GM's I thought I was a bit concerned I would not enjoy this car. Quite the opposite, I'm exceptionally happy with this little thing.
    Name:  Hitch.jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  57.3 KB
    Name:  Hitch1.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  84.0 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (04-03-2017)

Thanks
    Awesome job you did there.

Also planning to get the curt hitch.
    Can you take a pic of the area you trimmed?

Thanks!

Thanks

Issues?

Quote Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
    Sorry for the delay, hitch was back-ordered and finally came in this weekend. Overall, very happy with the hitch. Install is fairly easy, but a bit of advice. The rear bumper holds a ton of dirt, so be mindful to protect your eyes when removing the lower plastic filler piece. The clips also get full of dust and dirt and can be very hard to removed without breaking the heads off...as me how I know. A large portion of the drivers side of that panel gets cut, as well as a square around the hitch receiver. Not noted in the instructions, but I found I had to trim a bit off the vertical part near the exhaust to clear the hitch as well. Once re-installed its hidden fairly well, and only a small part of the hitch is visible.
    I also lucked out and managed to find a NOS Swagman rack for $80, which made me pretty happy. Best of all, while it does not fold, it is far enough out to allow the hatch to open and close, with the bike and rack still on the vehicle. Sorry about the lack of photos, but if you have any questions I'd be happy to help.
    On a side note, I've removed the rear seats and made a little cargo/dog platform. So I'm in just around $14 500 for a car that does everything I need to, can park anywhere, and is fun and economical to drive. Coming from large, old GM's I thought I was a bit concerned I would not enjoy this car. Quite the opposite, I'm exceptionally happy with this little thing.
    Name:  Hitch.jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  57.3 KB
    Name:  Hitch1.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  84.0 KB
    awesome job you did there.
    hows your hitch going? are there any bending in the mounting points?

and do you have pictures of the trimmed area? thanks!