Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The truth about financing

Banned
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks Aftica! The point is,

we are paying 17,900 for a base elantra that has power windows, power locks, heated external mirrors, much more roomy, much more visually appealing, USB and ipod jack, 5 year bumper to bumper warranty, 148HP, adjustable driver height, better fuel economy

and for a 15876 (2 grand less than elantra) base model micra with manual windows, manual locks, much smaller, less safe, 4 speakers instead of six, no ipod jack, 109 HP less Hp, and an interior way less visually appealing and much more cheap materials, wed rather pay 2 grand more to be able to enjoy the car and not spend approx 16 grand on a "ten grand tin can"

The total cost of the car not including liscencing and papers and that, is 15876 for a base model micra at 5.9 with taxes, taken online from the nissan calculator, so compare 16 to 18 grand and all the huge difference in car, its an obvious choice, for two grand more id rather have a true car

Last edited by zippy; 05-18-2014 at 04:49 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    I see that Nintu keeps insisting nissan does not charge interest but that is total bull, the interest in covered through the financing, lol also in the beguinning nintu did not add the tax cost to the Micra, typical car salespeople tactics to put a whole bunch of numbers in front you, play an hour or so with you adding and subtracting and adding and playing with low numbers then when they reel you in you end up signing the full ACTUAL price which NEVER appeared in the discussions or in the calculations, we look at bottom line cost after EVERYTHING, WHY? Because that is the true amount of money that is leaving our pockets, I dont care how the finance is done o% or 5.9%, I dont care what the intentions of the dealer are or how cheap the starting price is advertised for, I just comapre bottom line price after tax and EVERYTHING, and then compare that to another deal with a different car

Banned
    Thanks
    I also agree that the purpose of the MICRA is not to be an affordable car for people who may be looking into used cars (like nisaan slimily advertised), because people who are looking into used cars will generally not have 11 or 12 grand in cash to pay for a car, so what will their option be? look into the Micra but then realize they have to pay 15 grand so 4 grand more just so that they can enjoy the luxury of a new car, and a really crappy new car (base model)

furthermore people who do have the 11 or 12 or 15 grand in cash, maybe only one out of 5 would actually consider the micra because if you have that money then might as well put that as down payment into a car that costs 30grand or 50 grand and which is truly a QUALITY car, people with 15 grand in cash wouldn't generally buy such a small cheap car,

Thanks
    Zippy, I bought my '02 Grand Am in 2004 for $16k cash, so you're mistaken if you believe that a person in the used car market doesn't have 12 grand cash. Also, people (like me) who have $15 grand in cash might want the well-engineered Micra on account that it frees up other money for things like travel and other endeavours; the only reason I financed is because it's cheap money. I can make more than 1.9% on $15k by investing it. Not everybody is as wasteful with their money as you might be; people who are frugal with their money will most definitely be buying the Micra.

It's sad you had to settle for an Elantra instead of getting the car you really wanted, but if you're looking for a support group to help you get over it, you might want to try an Elantra forum. Just sayin'.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    Zippy, I bought my '02 Grand Am in 2004 for $16k cash, so you're mistaken if you believe that a person in the used car market doesn't have 12 grand cash. Also, people (like me) who have $15 grand in cash might want the well-engineered Micra on account that it frees up other money for things like travel and other endeavours; the only reason I financed is because it's cheap money. I can make more than 1.9% on $15k by investing it. Not everybody is as wasteful with their money as you might be; people who are frugal with their money will most definitely be buying the Micra.

It's sad you had to settle for an Elantra instead of getting the car you really wanted, but if you're looking for a support group to help you get over it, you might want to try an Elantra forum. Just sayin'.
    We wanted the Micra because we thought it would truly be a cheap car, it turns out its only cheap if you pay cash right away. But we need to spend cash on a home renovation we are working on and investing in and will not pay cash for a car. I think anybody who pays such a high price for a basic car is getting ripped off. If you get the other trims with additional options the cost goes considerably up and you could instead look at cars like the honda civic or toyota corolla.

Even if we took the 5.9% interest rate for a base model, which comes to close to 16 grand, its not worth it at all. I spent my day learning how to drive the elantra today and its getting a bit used to but its fun.
    The dash board display shows what recommended gear you should be in, if you should go up or down a gear. We bought wax and maybe we will add a carbon fibre appearance front bumper laminate protector against rock chips.

Anyways enough about the elantra and how great it is,

Alpha you mentioned earler you chose the SV trim with the convenience package I presume, if you go on the nissan calculator and you put it financed at 1.9% for 48 months, after taxes added, your total payed comes to $18,480.00 not the 16,5K you had said before

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Alpha you mentioned earler you chose the SV trim with the convenience package I presume, if you go on the nissan calculator and you put it financed at 1.9% for 48 months, after taxes added, your total payed comes to $18,480.00 not the 16,5K you had said before
    I see you're bad at math, which probably explains why you're bad at money.

I posted my purchase price a while ago; I'm paying $15,922.45:

If we use the calculator, we discover that...

Except that's not accurate, because I put $2000 down in order to tweak my monthly payments.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    We wanted the Micra because we thought it would truly be a cheap car, it turns out its only cheap if you pay cash right away.
    ...and so you had to settle for a truly cheap car, the Hyundai Elantra. I understand. You didn't get the car you wanted, you got the car you had to settle for, and you're trying to convince yourself that somehow it's better. Again, I believe you'll find you'll get better support at an Elantra forum, because, quite frankly, I would've paid more for the Micra than an Elantra. I hate to tell you, the quality is really that much better and the Micra really is the better value. But you enjoy your Elantra, and go ahead and waste your money on a frilly carbon fiber appearance rock protector to make yourself feel better about it.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Banned
    Thanks
    Regard this carefully

Name:  payyyy.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  17.9 KB

With 2000 dollars down, your monthly payments come to 345 dollars, times that by 48 = 16,560.

16,560 + 2,000 = 18, 560 =\= 16,560

You payed quite a bit of money (18,560), more than we did, but if you think your getting more quality for your car then all the power to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    I see what you did, you included taxes, which you failed to do for the Elantra. Just for clarification, my total price with financing is $16,547.76. Base Elantra at 0% is $16,424.65; so I do admit I am paying a tiny little bit more. $123.11 is well worth it for real options like air conditioning, backup camera, cruise control, and better engineering.

Lift the hood of an Elantra, what do you see? Plastic shroud engineered to hide the shoddy workmanship and engineering shortcuts. Lift the hood of the Micra, there is no cheap plastic shroud to hide anything; the high quality of engineering and workmanship is on display, like a finely crafted automatic watch.
    Last edited by AlphaMicra; 05-18-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks
    Guys. Please take it down a notch. There's no place here for personal insults.

If you can't make the other person see the inherent logic in your arguments, quit arguing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Ill break all the fighting...bottom line is, hyundai engines suck...my friend replaces them ALOT! They are horrible and this is a guy that works at a dealership...their hybrids are a rip off too, he tells me that people try to return the cars cuz they dont go anywhere near the listed mpg number...nissan is the route im taking cuz i dont want mycar to give me problems the first year of ownership...i wanna keep the car for a long while

11. The Following User Says Thank You to en3rg1e For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (05-19-2014)