Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dissapointing Micra news

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    You talk about equity in the first response but we have never had that perspective on a car. A car is not equity for us, a house is, but a car is just a machine that depreciates no matter what it is, unless its a rare/expensive car.
    If you actually owned a house, you could've done better than 5.9% anywhere.

When you talk about a car (loaded) micra at 15 something like Alpha is paying, and a small marginal price difference of 17,9 , who the heck cares about depreciation value its not like you are investing in the car.
    I beg to differ. My car, like my tools, may depreciate in actual value over time and use, but since it gets me to the job sites I need to go to in order to earn a living, it represents an investment. I buy quality tools like Klein and Greenlee, and I bought a quality car like the Nissan Micra.

I for one would rather pay for an elantra which is much more of a quality car than the micra, even if the micra has all the stupid things like back up camera/cruise/sattelite/whatever, the price difference is not that much (2 grand something) and the quality of the elantra is just much better than the micra. Alpha is paying extra to have bells and whistles on a car that is tiny and probably not as safe and probably not as good to drive. Try test driving the elantra and compare. The elantra is much above the micra competitors.
    I did test drive the Elantra and was not at all impressed; I'd rather spend the money to fix up my Grand Am GT; I didn't feel the power it was supposed to be making, and the cornering sucked, unlike the Micra which corners like a champ. A backup camera in underground parking in downtown Toronto isn't a bell or whistle; it saves from potential damage when backing into a tight spot. You should try a trip to Florida without cruise control and see if you still think it's a bell or whistle. As for safety, how safe do you think your Elantra is going to be when it rusts? http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/...in-040213.html

Need I remind you we love the elantra look and driving experience. I mean on the outside there is just no comparison, the elantra is beautiful and sexy .
    Need I remind you that, had you test drove the Micra after the Elantra, you'd realize how much the Elentra sucks at cornering. How sexy will it look when it rusts before your payments are up? http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/...in-040213.html

Also we can add AC whenever we want its not set in stone.
    But, like many others before you, you won't; you'll come to realize that the cost of adding aftermarket AC will be greater than what your car will be worth.

I sat in the micra SR and it just does not compare to even the base model elantra. I dont care about cruise because I never use it. Also the base model micra has manual windows and locks, the base elantra has power windows and power lock.
    You sat in the car, but didn't test drive it? You don't care about cruise, but you want power windows and power door locks? You sound like a passenger, not a driver.

we have 5 year bumper to bumper as well. They antenna is glass which makes the car look much slimmer. Its horsepower is higher than the micra.
    At least the antenna won't rust.

I could go on and on for the reasons why the elantra is better than the micra but I dont want to bore you. Yes financially we pay more for a base model, but this base model has more than the mica base and with a similar price the elantra is just much more car than the micra. with tinted windows its gona be nice!
    Well, it certainly appears as though it'll have more rust. Hope you get it paid off before the rust sets in.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Why would we sell the car, yes its not automatic but honestly its actually a better driving experience and better for the car to be driven in manual transmission. If you get really good at stick you don't even need to press the clutch.
    Even if you think you're ''really good'', do your transmission a favour and don't do this LOL.

Read the entire thread and still don't see the point of comparing a Micra to an Elantra though.
    Ten Grand Tin Can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp) ... 18.8 km/L ... 44.3 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hey guys, wow hahaha you guys are kinda crazy over this eh. Its good to talk about, I definitely understand that the interest is still being paid, but you guys have no idea about the economic situation we have, and who the car will be for and the fact that we don't give a damn about car depreciation value.

You talk about equity in the first response but we have never had that perspective on a car. A car is not equity for us, a house is, but a car is just a machine that depreciates no matter what it is, unless its a rare/expensive car.

The elantra is 2014 and it is brand new as well, and I mentioned we don't plan on selling it anytime soon, nor in the future. It is a comfortable price, and we will be reducing that timespan anyways because we will be providing downpayments and irregular lump payments. When you talk about a car (loaded) micra at 15 something like Alpha is paying, and a small marginal price difference of 17,9 , who the heck cares about depreciation value its not like you are investing in the car.

I for one would rather pay for an elantra which is much more of a quality car than the micra, even if the micra has all the stupid things like back up camera/cruise/sattelite/whatever, the price difference is not that much (2 grand something) and the quality of the elantra is just much better than the micra. Alpha is paying extra to have bells and whistles on a car that is tiny and probably not as safe and probably not as good to drive. Try test driving the elantra and compare. The elantra is much above the micra competitors.

Need I remind you we love the elantra look and driving experience. I mean on the outside there is just no comparison, the elantra is beautiful and sexy . Also we can add AC whenever we want its not set in stone. lol relax. Why would we sell the car, yes its not automatic but honestly its actually a better driving experience and better for the car to be driven in manual transmission. If you get really good at stick you don't even need to press the clutch.

I sat in the micra SR and it just does not compare to even the base model elantra. I dont care about cruise because I never use it. Also the base model micra has manual windows and locks, the base elantra has power windows and power lock. we have 5 year bumper to bumper as well. They antenna is glass which makes the car look much slimmer. Its horsepower is higher than the micra.

I could go on and on for the reasons why the elantra is better than the micra but I dont want to bore you. Yes financially we pay more for a base model, but this base model has more than the mica base and with a similar price the elantra is just much more car than the micra. with tinted windows its gona be nice!
    Again, I hate being the wet blanket type because I want you to enjoy whatever car you chose. You'll live with it for a long time and there's nothing worse than buyers remorse. That being said, a car is an investment and an asset. That being said, a depreciating one, but that's offset with the positives, such as utility, or if you're investing in fun, etc.. People look at fuel economy as a cost of ownership item but they often over-look the far more costly depreciation. Hyundai Elantras do have one of the largest depreciation slopes of any car, especially with the subvented rate financing. If you drive it for 10 years, won't be a huge issue, you're right. If you drive it for 4 or 5, it will be. And it will be a huge difference.

I've driven both, as both are on my lot and I can drive to my hearts content, and it's no comparison that the micra is a better built car, more agile, better turning radius, etc.. Easy decision for me. I drove the Micra through its paces for about an hour yesterday and had the opportunity to create a thorough opinion. I love that little car.

Thanks
    From a Sonata with 110,000 miles on the odometer, taken in 2009:

Source: http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion...-subframe-rust

Meanwhile, this picture was taken in 2012; the model is a 1989:

Yeah, I think I'd take my chances in the old '89 Micra over the newer Hyundai Elantra.

Meanwhile, I doubt anything from Hyundai in 1989 survived.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Holy crap, forget about rust, they'll spontaneously burst into flames!

http://naijabang.com/hyundai-car-bur...n-lagos-photo/

Banned
    Thanks
    LOL, well thank-you for stressing that it is susceptible to rust, we will be extra careful and add extra anti-rust services to it, as much as we possibly can. Don't worry we will still enjoy our car, but that last news source seems so credible lol,

Anyways, I hope you realize that I could very well just as you have done, find all the possible failure threads and complaints about the micra and then post it here, the fact is no car is perfect, and no not even your micra so if you think there will be nothing wrong with your micra you are wrong and yes I did find massive failures with micras with little effort. However I do not have time for that and honestly its a waste of my time. Its just a car get over yourself.

Thanks
    Guys, let's quit the bashing. Not helpful.

Hope you enjoy your new car, zippy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Banned
    Thanks
    Thank you Metro,

it is unfortunate that some people take things too defensive on the internet, I am glad though I came here because from the previous posts by other members they very kindly explained how the financing works and I honestly was new to that so I am appreciative to their input. I do not take it offensively when someone explains reasonably the different perspectives one has to think about when choosing a car even if the deal my family decided to go with is not the "one to go for".

At the end of the day everyone has their own money and they can buy whatever car they please, be it cheap, crappy, too expensive, or anything you can be judgemental on, if they want it then they will get it, its just like shoes, or bikes or laptops. We like our car for our own reasons, next time we will think about the financing more although we did not want to pay 16500 grand for a small car. The purpose of the car is that it will be the third family car ( so that my younger sister and I can move to jobs and that). And one day when I am become an engineer and start side-businesses I hope to get the bmw-i8, now that is a real car!

If you actually owned a house
    haha nice comment
    Last edited by zippy; 05-16-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks
    Tell yourself whatever you need to sell it to yourself, just don't expect us to buy it. Seriously, coming to a Micra forum to tell us how much better you think an Elantra is? Don't you think we've already been down that road?

Banned
    Thanks
    If you had any tiny shred of intelligence you would realize that I did not come to this forum to say how great the elantra is, wow. Seriously who do you think you are, being so flashy over the freakin cheapest car in canada haha so egotistical. We changed our minds at some point and you started replying with comments that are obviously of bad taste, it seems to me that as a person in real life you are very arrogant and negative and judgemental and snobbish and unpleasant. We are picking up our brand new Elantra tomorrow and we are very excited, I just hope that you and your family get as excited as we do when you pick up your car, try not to think of us ;P cause we definitely won't think of you or the micra!

Hasta La Vista Suckers!