Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Micra S: add air conditioning/cruise control later?

Thanks

Micra S: add air conditioning/cruise control later?

I posted this thread because I've seen people searching for it.

Air conditioning...

Can you add A/C to a vehicle that didn't originally come with it? Have you ever done this?

I've heard of dealers putting in A/C as a dealer-installed option (in general, not specifically for Nissans).

Cruise control...

I know the answer to the cruise control question: yes, it can be added. There are aftermarket cruise kits (like this one is for the 2014 Versa Note which may work on the Micra).

Another possibility, if the throttle is drive-by-wire: sometimes it's as simple as buying the OEM buttons/switches for the car -- the wiring is already there and the computer has the programming by default. I've seen people do this DIY with other late model cars (a GM though).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I posted this thread because I've seen people searching for it.

Air conditioning...

Can you add A/C to a vehicle that didn't originally come with it? Have you ever done this?

I've heard of dealers putting in A/C as a dealer-installed option (in general, not specifically for Nissans).
    Getting a condenser and evaporator coil aftermarket should cost around $100 or less each if you shop; the compressor, probably around $400 or so. All of the connecting lines may have to be special order from the dealer, as well as the appropriate switch. It would certainly be a labour-intensive undertaking.

Cruise control...

I know the answer to the cruise control question: yes, it can be added. There are aftermarket cruise kits (like this one is for the 2014 Versa Note which may work on the Micra).

Another possibility, if the throttle is drive-by-wire: sometimes it's as simple as buying the OEM buttons/switches for the car -- the wiring is already there and the computer has the programming by default. I've seen people do this DIY with other late model cars (a GM though).
    I've also seen where the manufacturer (GM) has left the wiring intact for a dealer-installed option (ie; tow package), all the wiring and plugs are there, but to make everything work the dealer needs to install a pair of custom relays that cost $400 each and cannot be bought from anywhere else but the dealer (gee, thanks Mr. Goodwrench). Sometimes, you can simply use parts found from a scrap yard wreck, attach them, and everything works fine.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The air conditioning might be a bit more costly as an added on feature once the vehicle has left the factory. Mind you I've never done that at any other dealers I've worked for.

Cruise control though is definitely an easy addon, MASS Electronics is the company we use at my dealership for any addons (cruise control, navigation, heated seats, remote starters etc)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauren For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-07-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
    The air conditioning might be a bit more costly as an added on feature once the vehicle has left the factory. Mind you I've never done that at any other dealers I've worked for.

Cruise control though is definitely an easy addon, MASS Electronics is the company we use at my dealership for any addons (cruise control, navigation, heated seats, remote starters etc)
    Has anyone looked into this closer? I'd like to get the list of the parts needed, and possibly a provider for them. My wife believes it was a mistake to get the base without AC, but if you want a manual transmission and mechanical windows, you can't get it on the S. I find it weird that the stealer won't even consider selling me something after the purchase of the vehicle. Worst case, I'll consider one portable plug-in unit if I have no choice.

Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.5 mpg (US) ...

Has anyone looked further into this?
    Its says a/c is an option for the S ..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    A/C is an option on the S only with the automatic transmission. It's bundled: AC + 4AT + cruise, and it adds $3300 to the base price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    It's better to buy the car with it as even if you could install the cruise control from an after market product, you won't have the controls on the strearing wheel. How does an aftermarket cruise work? does it have a module that you screw to your dash? how to control it? It's usefull to have it at reach on the whells.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SR automatic: 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp) ... 14.3 km/L ... 33.6 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Has anyone successfully added cruise control to an S? I'm thinking about buying a Micra but I'm not interested if I have to pay the premium for the automatic just to get cruise control.

I didn't see a price in the link in the first post but found another listing here. http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com...e-control-kit/ Does this one work?

Thanks
    I am ready to bet that it is prewired... since taking my steering wheel apart this past weekend. Been thinking of buying a steering wheel from an SV or SR with the airbag blown from the wrecker. If the price is low enough Ill buy one just to find out. Worst case senario, I'll end up with just steering wheel mounted radio control.

Thanks
    I bet it's pre-wired too.

I wonder if it uses the existing clutch & brake switches to cancel cruise.

The big question is the PCM: does the non-factory-cruise vehicle come with the necessary programming, or would you need to reprogram / replace the computer to enable the feature?

l searched on the Versa forum and found one guy who installed a cruise control steering wheel in a non-factory 2012 Versa hatchabck, and it didn't work. Check posts by user Skyes_2012_RedV in this thread: http://www.nissanversaforums.com/gen...e-control.html

But he was modifying the hatchback, and I don't believe it's exactly the same car as the K13/sedan/Note.