Thread: Micra engine + Leaf drivetrain + Versa Note = new Nissan e-Power hybrid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Micra engine + Leaf drivetrain + Versa Note = new Nissan e-Power hybrid

Name:  Nissan_Leaf_e-Power_-640x360.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  33.8 KB

Nissan has just introduced a "series" hybrid system in Japan that they're calling "E-Power", and they are putting it in the Note first.

Notable: (sorry, bad pun)

- It uses the JDM/Euro 1.2L, 3-cylinder Micra engine as the generator.

- The engine is not connected to the wheels - it only runs as a generator to keep the battery topped up. It's not a plug-in hybrid (not like Chevy Volt).

- It also shows what the facelifted Note looks like, incorporating Nissan's new(ish) "V" chrome grille. Here's another angle of the new front:

Name:  2017-nissan-note-e-power-hybrid-revealed-in-japan-does-27-l-100km-112415_1.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  58.7 KB
    (from: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...km-112415.html )

- It's nearly as efficient as a Prius on the notoriously lenient Japese fuel economy test cycle (which is biased to slower speeds/city driving).

- Because it's a "parts bin car" (Micra engine, Leaf motor), it's relatively inexpensive.

- They don't say if it's coming to North America.

More info, Nissan press release:

https://newsroom.nissan-global.com/r...lang=en-US&rss

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

IMPUL (11-03-2016),MrMicra2015 (11-18-2017)

Thanks
    sad how they've squandered the lead they had with LEAF
    Vancouver SNOWpocalypse !!!!1!11!one (....not really)

https://youtu.be/IZcz-MqjuzQ

Thanks
    Yeah, they dragged it out a bit longer than they should have. GM has done 2 versions of Volt, and now the pure EV Bolt is coming out while we're still on gen 1 of the Leaf.

I believe a major redesign is in the works for 2018 though, including a 200 mile / 320 km battery option to better compete with the Bolt & Tesla model 3.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I always thought that the Leaf's modular design meant that its batteries could easily be upgraded to those that offered a greater range with a simple swap. If true, then maybe Nissan is simply running down inventory of older batteries?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks

Left-hand drive e-power Note spotted testing in the U.S.

New spy photos show the Versa Note e-Power hybrid undergoing road tests in Michigan alongside a Japan-market, right-hand-drive Note e-Power, a Toyota Prius C and a BMW i3.
    Full story: http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...hybrid-for-u-s

Thanks
    Let's not forget the Nismo E-power too
    https://www3.nissan.co.jp/vehicles/new/note/nismo.html
    Name:  NOTE_08_007.jpg.ximg.l_12_m.smart.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  81.2 KB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nobuseri For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-14-2017)

Thanks
    Ha. Cool!

I would love to try one of these things... just because it must be so weird.

Thanks
    i wonder if that makes sense...no battery basically......you would think losses would make that "very" inefficient.???

personally i wouldn't buy a battery powered car because i am skeptical how long the battery would last and it still doesn't make economic sense to me (and if it did..wouldn't everyone be doing it?)
    JUST MY OPINION maybe time will change it ...my 14 year old son asked why i don't drive an electric car.

probably because i'd electrocute myself !..because i'd just want to have a bit of a tinker!
    2015 Micra S (manual)
    no A/C /no power options/ block heater/4x 2 Ohm speakers...all factory stock in 2015
    Feb 2015 build
    9,999 purchase price + tax..no additional 1600$ because it was a 2015 purchased in 2016
    so receipt says $8,399....+1600 .... so they look good i guess...for a brand new car!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMicra2015 View Post
    i wonder if that makes sense...no battery basically......you would think losses would make that "very" inefficient.???
    Yeah, it would seem so on first glance. But 3 main things make it more efficient:

1) The gas engine never idles or runs at loads that are inefficient, which gas cars do much of the time. Instead, it runs at speeds & loads that are most efficient while turning the generator to feed the battery. Also, that generator engine is smaller than the Note's usual gasoline engine, so it's more efficient to begin with.

2) The car can move on electric power (with the generator shut off) for a lot of its low speed driving (city) where gas cars are terribly wasteful.

3) When braking (and coasting), the electric drive motor acts as a generator to capture energy and put most of it back into the battery. In a gas car, that braking energy is 100% wasted as heat & brake dust.

doesn't make economic sense to me (and if it did..wouldn't everyone be doing it?)
    Well, ever notice how many hybrid cars there are in big city taxi fleets these days? The technology must make sense to their bottom line.

Also, the batteries of 100% electric vehicles are warrantied for a long time -- more than the usual length of the car. 8 years, I think is the minimum.

probably because i'd electrocute myself !..because i'd just want to have a bit of a tinker!
    When I was driving my home-made EV, I only ever crossed wires once. That was quite a spark! And only 48 volts! These new EV's are hundreds of volts!

Thanks

confirmed

Interesting!

Nissan has finally confirmed it will bring its backward-working “e-Power” series hybrid system to the United States.
    Nissan Finally Confirms e-Power for North American Models

I assume that means Canada too, but you never know.