Nissan has just introduced a "series" hybrid system in Japan that they're calling "E-Power", and they are putting it in the Note first.
Notable: (sorry, bad pun)
- It uses the JDM/Euro 1.2L, 3-cylinder Micra engine as the generator.
- The engine is not connected to the wheels - it only runs as a generator to keep the battery topped up. It's not a plug-in hybrid (not like Chevy Volt).
- It also shows what the facelifted Note looks like, incorporating Nissan's new(ish) "V" chrome grille. Here's another angle of the new front:
(from: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...km-112415.html )
- It's nearly as efficient as a Prius on the notoriously lenient Japese fuel economy test cycle (which is biased to slower speeds/city driving).
- Because it's a "parts bin car" (Micra engine, Leaf motor), it's relatively inexpensive.
- They don't say if it's coming to North America.
More info, Nissan press release: