Thread: Break-In Feel - Is it tight?

Thanks

Break-In Feel - Is it tight?

So I test drove a 15 Micra with only 28klm, I feel it felt strange. Car reved to 2500 fine but being around 3000 seem slugish. I drove it a little more and was driving it from 2000 to 3000, 4000 and it seemed to get better.

A lotta things can be factored in like never being driven higher then 3000 and the fact the car has sat for a year.

Is this what a new engine feel like? Ive had a refurbished QR engine and it seemed great. Really smooth where this feels like it gets in a fight at 3000 but im afraid to apply more preasure.

Is a new engine this tight?

Thanks

Thanks
    Please help any insite on this

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I bought mine with 120kms on it and of course it's gonna be a bit sluggish. I only feel good torque in 3rd and 4th. The car only has 109hp so it's not gonna put you in your seat that's for sure!

Thanks
    The engine feels fine off the go driving completely normal but when I come close to the 3000 rpm to shift the egnie feels sluggish like something is different. I had the mechanic at the delaership drive it and he said it was normal.

I have a NA Miata before so Im comparing the power to that but I havent pushed a micra at all. No WOT or anything like that.

Thanks
    I find around 3000rpms the engine just opens up. Also helps when you give the pedal a little more in sync simultaneously with the engine to go faster but it might have something to do with 3000rpms

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV automatic: 10.0 L/100 km ... 28.4 mpg (Imp) ... 10.0 km/L ... 23.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMicra23 View Post
    The engine feels fine off the go driving completely normal but when I come close to the 3000 rpm to shift the egnie feels sluggish like something is different. I had the mechanic at the delaership drive it and he said it was normal.

I have a NA Miata before so Im comparing the power to that but I havent pushed a micra at all. No WOT or anything like that.
    Time to move on to another car be it a Micra or not. When you come across stuff that sets you off, run away, your only doing yourself a favor.

Thanks
    It was all break in. I have the car and put about 500k in the past 4 days since I got it. I love this car so so much. This is the second engine Ive broken in and I've driving them home on the highway. This cars pulls really well and once its starts moving it fly's, I haven't pushed it WOT or even past 5000rpm yet. I took it to 120 and 140 and this car is outstanding, I love the gearing so much. This engie loves to be reved and the gearing allows you to keep the revs at cruising speeds. I barely use 4th or 5th lol I love this car so so much!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMicra23 View Post
    Comparable power:weight as the Micra? 116 vs 109 hp. Maybe the Miata is a also a bit lighter?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I was meticulous with the break-in for my Micra, erring on the side of caution. After that, it was time to test it out. In my 5 speed, I found that first gear offers tons of get-up-and-go, and allows the Micra to easily lose traction and keep up with more powerful cars, but it ends rather quickly. Fortunately, second gear starts in the power band where first leaves off in redline and still delivers plenty of pull; unfortunately, it also reels the car to redline just when things are getting fun. Third gear is my favourite on-ramp gear, offering plenty of power to pull out of those 30km/h corners the Micra can easily handle at twice that speed all the way up to around 120 km/h real speed. After that, the shift into 4th feels flat and rather disappointing, though in reality the car is still pulling pretty good; it's just that it doesn't have the feel of 3rd gear. The shift to 5th is a real let-down; I expected the overdrive gear to bring my engine RPM's down to a modest level, but in reality, it seems to put me in a better place in the power band than 4th. I almost feel as though 5th could be 4th, and we could use a better overdrive gear.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I have an automatic one, but it feels like first and second speeds have a loud rumble while after, the car is way more silent. Is it the same for most of your micras?

I don't really have an issue with the performance though, it is about what I expected from such a small car, not ashamed when I get on the freeway.