Thanks

In Defense Of: A Review Of The 2016 Chevrolet Spark LS

Technically a Spark review, BUT

- reviewer is Nova Scotian

- who constantly compares it against our Micra

so i thought you guys may enjoy the comparison:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...olet-spark-ls/

here's the tl;dr:
    Undoubtedly, the Nissan Micra is more fun to drive. By a country mile it’s more fun. But if your urban commute doesn’t allow you to have fun, the 2016 Chevrolet Spark is a distinctly more pleasant space to spend time.

Vancouver SNOWpocalypse !!!!1!11!one (....not really)

https://youtu.be/IZcz-MqjuzQ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to micrapolis For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-31-2016)

Thanks
    Yeah, I read that one too. Most of the new Spark reviews are saying the same thing. The question is whether Spark sales will continue to increase. Typical car buyers don't care about driving a "fun" car. The Micra has been an outlier in that it's been both a favourite among car enthusiast reviewers AND the top seller in its class.

But here's another interesting take on the Spark's manual transmission from the same reviewer. He REALLY hates it:

Save The Manuals? Let’s Not Save Them All, Including The 2016 Chevrolet Spark’s

Shifting from second or fourth into third or fifth is an exercise in aimless conjecture. Not only is the shift’s destination in doubt, your hand must guide the shifter through a soupy mix of molasses, Wrigley’s Juicy Fruit, and toothpaste. It’s just as disconcerting as it sounds.

The Spark’s shift throws, meanwhile, feel as though you’re required to reach from one side of a heavily armed border station in a former Soviet state back into the western world for second and fourth.

Once you’ve located and engaged reverse, the Spark reacts with enough noise emanating from its unmentionables to alert passersby, who turn in wonder.
    Aside from that, he seemed to like the car. But he's so negative about the transmission that it makes me want to try one to see if it can possibly be so bad.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (09-01-2016)

Thanks
    There's this:
    "It’s more like a budget hot hatch without power or aggression."
    The term that knowledgeable automobile journalists use to describe a car like the Micra is "Warm hatch." Timothy Cain can be forgiven though, seeing as this is a term more often used by journalists in markets where vehicles like the Micra are the norm rather than the exception.

Thing is, a small car like the Micra doesn't need a ton of power or aggression to be fun; relative to its size, the 1.6L motor is a beast, and relative to the next class up, it does more than hold its own. I enjoy the fact that I can drive it spiritedly and blow through speed traps without drawing any undue attention.

I do think GM did an exceptional job on the interior of the Spark. So exceptional, in fact, that it has become this car's only redeeming quality, to the point of distraction. Everything I read about this car is that it's for the iPhone generation, so when you're sitting in traffic, you can distract yourself with your phone. Fact of the matter is, the Spark is still a penalty box car.

The Micra isn't lacking anything in the info-tainment department (who needs more than a line in, USB MP3, AM/FM/CD, and Bluetooth?) I have the backup camera, but I don't really think it's necessary. I do wish we had that bin in front of the cup holders, that small shelf along the dash, and I really appreciate the flip and fold seats. I think the Micra should tell us the tire pressure, outside temperature, and when to change the oil. I like how the high end Spark has real premium options like a sunroof and a more polished interior. Finally, the Micra really should also have a CVT option like the Spark. In fact, I might even consider the Spark, except for the fact that I need something that's fun to drive. I need to be able to take corners at speed without needing to touch the brake pedal. I need single digit 0-60 times. I want the cake of low purchase price, decent fuel economy, roomy interior with a small, very maneuverable size, and options like cruise, air, Bluetooth, and MP3, but I want to be able to eat that cake too by enjoying the cheap go-kart thrills that, currently, only the Micra offers.
    Name:  14169712_1338568096183814_1353786321_n.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  21.0 KB
    Last edited by AlphaMicra; 09-01-2016 at 05:24 PM.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    Finally, the Micra really should also have a CVT option like the Spark.
    If they do that, they should do what they did with the Versa sedan in the States: 5MT standard, optional 4AT (same as the Micra's), and optional CVT. Because some people REAALLLY hate CVT's.

I'm not sure if the current year Versa sedan still offers that menu, but they had it for a couple of years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote - "the 2016 Chevrolet Spark is a distinctly more pleasant space to spend time."

Curious to know if the author was referring to being in the car or the car being in the dealership since most of us know that owning a GM product means oil burning engines, and oil leaking engines. That's why the term GM Junk is prevalent with previous GM owners. Me included.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

Pete (09-02-2016)