Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine noise between 2000 and 2500 rpm

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Unhappy Engine noise between 2000 and 2500 rpm

I have bought Micra in October last year. Now it is on 30000km and it recently started knocking/rattling as if it had bad timing chain tensioner. At the first time I thought that it is a hole on the exhaust pipe somewhere. I am using 94 gas, synthetic oil and Duralube additive. I have always warmed up the engine until idle rpms drop below 1000. The noise is louder on cold engine, it comes from the side opposite to battery (passenger side). The next oil change/service comes on 33000km (the $325.00 "long list" inspection). I will update on the result (will complain about the noise).

Thanks
    That is the range your supposed to be at most of the time. If it is as bad as you described I wouldn't wait another 3000kms. That is not a lot of Km's to be getting a noise like that. Nothing should be worn out at 30000km's. Guides, seals, springs, ect. Your car is still practically new. I'd be getting it looked at asap. Under warranty of course.

Thanks
    From my Nissan Manual =
    Oil additives - NISSAN does not recommend the use of oil additives. The use of an oil additive is not necessary when the proper oil type is used and maintenance intervals are followed.

Aftermarket fuel additives NISSAN does not recommend the use of any aftermarket fuel additives (for example, fuel injector cleaner, octane booster, intake valve deposit removers, etc.) which are sold commercially. Many of these additives intended for gum, varnish or deposit removal may contain active solvents or similar ingredients that can be harmful to the fuel system and engine.

My Micra says 87 octane. You have listed very possible reasons for the stealership to either give you a hard time or deny you warranty work. Whatever you do don't tell them what you have been using.
    Last edited by eddy; 08-23-2016 at 07:40 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (08-24-2016)

Thanks
    I'm with Eddy on this one. As well, I can't figure out why someone would buy the cheapest new car on the market, which was engineered to run perfectly fine on the cheapest octane gas and cheapest motor oil, and then turn around and put in the most expensive gasoline and oil designed for high performance engines. It's not like the "Good stuff" will magically turn your economy engine into a powerful beast, nor will it mystically extend the life of your cheaply but well made engine. Save your money for something worthwhile (like your next car), and give your Micra what it was engineered to run on.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (08-28-2016)

Thanks
    Engine additives are anyones guess, and I wouldn't mention it to the dealer just because of what it says in the manual, but just because a car is engineered to be able to run on low octane gas does not mean that is the healthiest choice for your engine. Lower octane gas forces sensors in the car to read and adjust the timing accordingly to prevent possible premature detonation. That does not mean the premature detonation doesn't occur but that when it's detected the CPU adjusts accordingly. High octane gas prevents premature detonation in the first place making it a cleaner burn thus not gumming up your injectors and intake. Your car will run smoother and quieter as a result. As well when I take my car to the dealer I request synthetic and it costs more. . Why because it's engineered to be better than conventional oil. FACT: It is better to run in new engines. Not so much on old worn ones because it runs thinner and tends to cause leaks. But for a new engine synthetic is the way to go. I went to school for this stuff I'd hate to think it was all a waste of my time when I could have just read the Micra manual.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vapor For This Useful Post:

Moose (08-25-2016)

Thanks
    Do you think the Micra cup cars run 87 octane? If it makes no difference in performance why not? Some how I doubt it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Engine additives are anyones guess, and I wouldn't mention it to the dealer just because of what it says in the manual, but just because a car is engineered to be able to run on low octane gas does not mean that is the healthiest choice for your engine. Lower octane gas forces sensors in the car to read and adjust the timing accordingly to prevent possible premature detonation. That does not mean the premature detonation doesn't occur but that when it's detected the CPU adjusts accordingly. High octane gas prevents premature detonation in the first place making it a cleaner burn thus not gumming up your injectors and intake.
    Actually, this is bad information. Not only is high octane fuel more expensive, it's engineered to detonate at higher compression levels. Our Micra engines are not high compression, so high octane fuel doesn't burn correctly. The result is that your mileage and performance will suffer.

Your car will run smoother and quieter as a result. As well when I take my car to the dealer I request synthetic and it costs more. . Why because it's engineered to be better than conventional oil. FACT: It is better to run in new engines. Not so much on old worn ones because it runs thinner and tends to cause leaks. But for a new engine synthetic is the way to go. I went to school for this stuff I'd hate to think it was all a waste of my time when I could have just read the Micra manual.
    Again, another myth, although the synthetic oil probably won't hurt anything, there's really no benefit in our low compression, non-turbocharged, naturally aspirated, simple 1.6L engines, but if you got money to burn, go at it. Just don't be disappointed that your Micra doesn't perform better or last longer than a Micra with proper oil changes with regular oil. To demonstrate what it could really cost, Mr. Lube charges $38 extra for a synthetic oil change. We need to change our oil every 8,000 km. If we did that every time on the mark, then at 200,000 km, we would have changed our oil 25 times at an extra expense of $950. Thinking about 400,000km? It's possible that a Micra on synthetic or regular oil could make that mark, but with synthetic, you're now out $1900.

Between synthetic oil changes and high octane fuel, the benefits of driving this economy car evaporate pretty quickly, which leads me to wonder, what's the point?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Do you think the Micra cup cars run 87 octane? If it makes no difference in performance why not? Some how I doubt it.
    I think you should ask them before making yet another assumption.

Thanks
    Synthetic oil + additives = chemical soup.

Hate to bud in to the synthetic debate here fellas but then along came winter!
    I would be happy to use regular petroleum based oil if I lived in Jamaica but since my ancestors and me have chosen to live where there's a frost warning ten months of the year I use synthetic.

As for premium fuel unless you have shaved the head or raised the compression another way or have a carburator then you don't need it! The ethanol % in regular gas is too high for things with a carburator and it messes up non metallic parts like floats and diaphrams.

Thanks
    The regular 5W30 I use in my Micra has a pour point of -38 degrees Celsius. If it ever gets that cold here, I'm staying home.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (08-28-2016)