Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Engine noise between 2000 and 2500 rpm

Thanks
    Name:  20010-2.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  22.5 KB

The purpose of a catch can is to take what is being sent out through the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve, and separate the actual oil that may come out, collect it, and send just air and vapors back to the intake manifold, as opposed to the PCV system sending both air, vapors, and oil back in the intake manifold. The goal is to avoid getting oil into the intake manifold.

Getting oil to collect in my Chrysler 300's intake will eventually result in an error message for a sensor gone bad (plugged with oil) and Chrysler charges a couple hundred bucks to remove and clean the intake. I have had my intake off to change spark plugs recently and it is as clean as clean can get. So the catch can is working for me. It's just that my observation of using Pennzoil over Castrol was vastly different in how much stuff was being collected. I'm convinced Pennzoil doesn't stand up to the heat generated in my engine and as a result it vaporized into the catch can in larger amounts. The Pennzoil synthetic may be an exceptional product it just didn't impress me when compared at monthly check up since the Castrol has never filled the can in this manner.

The Micra has it's own catch can I believe. It's a small black box looks like this.

Name:  1.6-litre-nissan-engine.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  49.0 KB

In an earlier thread I asked what this was and this was the reply from Pete.
    (Neither Eddy....that is part of the crankcase ventilation. Its empty. It catches any oil/water from going back into your throttle body and it will also will hold a charge of unburnt fuel briefly until you step back into the gas pedal.)

I've had my Micra just over a year, 14000 km - do my own oil/filter changes and have never had to add oil between changes and I use synthetic oil. Just a fun car.

Last edited by eddy; 09-05-2016 at 03:37 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

Moose (09-06-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMicra View Post
    does he think that a full synthetic would make fuel economy appreciably better?
    If you did a LOT of very short trips / cold starts in freezing weather, you would see a tiny improvement in fuel economy by using the same grade of synth vs. conventional oil. For the same reason Pete mentioned: synth flows much more easily at freezing temps, so there's less internal resistance. But once the engine is up to normal operating temperature, there's little difference.

So the average person won't see any fuel savings by switching.

However you're right: switching to the lowest recommended viscosity for a particular vehicle may mean going to a synthetic oil (eg. you can't get 0w20 in a conventional oil, and some cars allow it), and that saves a small amount of fuel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Has there been an actual cause pinned down for the original post? I seem to have a similar issue and only 31000 kms. I bought the car used and did not notice this on the test drive etc. I will most likely try and get a warranty fix just not sure how they will be. As dealers usually play the --- " I didn't hear anything" "Oh this is normal" blah blah. Thanks

Thanks
    I dont know if anyone has this, but on my MY15 I would get a louder engine noise at 2000-2100 RPM. If I'm short shifting then it bothers me, but usually I rev through to 2500 before shifting. It started at maybe 60,000? I took it in to a dealer for a diagnostic, but they had found nothing. Using regular fuel, regular oil, no additives. Now at 126,000 noise still there at the same mark.

Thanks
    It's too bad the original poster never reported back to let us know how it turned out.

We've had a few members with defective engines that were replaced under warranty, and they had an internal knocking sound in a certain narrow RPM range.

If the dealer says it's OK, I'd be inclined not to worry about it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I know types of noise can be described at some level but isnt it easy to record what you are hearing on the phone and share with others to give an advice? Also it will be a good reference for you later when noise will change.

And never trust dealer for engine noise related issues. Nobody wants to get into the engine and loose days on overhaul and miss easy works like oil changes and tire rotations.

Most of the time you have to force dealers mechanic to rethink what they said and come back with better answer than just “everything is good”.

I had a kia. New car with engine noise at 1500-2000rpms before taking it to the dealer and claiming for warranty i decide to scope the cylinder for score marks cos of piston slap. Found score marks at 3rd cylinder wall. Took to dealer after 30 mins he came back with the generic answer “everything is good”. Then after diving deep into ICE theory he decided to recheck i also adviced him to check 3rd cylinder to save his time. And offered my snapon scope for that. Long story short whole engine was replaced under warranty with no other questions asked.
    Last edited by Plutus; 03-10-2021 at 12:03 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Plutus For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-10-2021)

Thanks
    Related Thread: Problems ALREADY! (engine knocking at certain RPM)
    https://micra-forum.com/showthread.p...HR16DE-solved)