Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine noise between 2000 and 2500 rpm

Thanks
    I have not studied marketing but I do hold a diploma from a school of transportation. I mention the cleaners because not all premium has cleaners at least not the same ones. I have been called out by google search commandos before. Funny that there is no mention of ethanol in the marketplace article you hold so highly, whats your take on the subject? And nothing you have said here disproves anything I have said, you actually prove my points by misinterpreting information and then go on to say how your right because "Popular Opinion" agrees with you. Here's what we know Ie. Predetonation happens. Your engine compensates. Premium has a higher flashpoint and does the work for the engines sensors. No, you don't need it never said you did. You don't need a healthy lifestyle either, it just helps you last longer. Is it a waste of money? Subjective, I don't mind the extra cost. Others apparently do. Others still have an agenda. Also could you point me to the article covering the peer review of the marketplace study where it was recreated it and produced similar results? I know your wrong because I know where your getting your information. We will have to agree to disagree on that one. I'm done here because it bothers me to have to defend my views in such a way.

The thing however that got me the most was the condescending tone that was taken towards another member who came here to post for help.

Last edited by Vapor; 08-29-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    I have not studied marketing but I do hold a diploma from a school of transportation.
    Is this some sort of appeal to authority, where you are setting yourself up as the authority? Oh dear, I suppose my study in Thermal Systems Engineering just doesn't measure up to a diploma from a school of transportation, where you get to learn how to fix dents, scratches, and understand the thermal properties of various fuel types.

I mention the cleaners because not all premium has cleaners at least not the same ones.
    Which relates to octane how, exactly?

I have been called out by google search commandos before.
    Well, if I were a google search commando, I would've done this:
    http://www.wheels.ca/news/premium-ga...orth-the-cost/
    http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...g-premium.html
    http://www.cartalk.com/content/premi...egular-0#myth1
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/premiu...says-1.1187041
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-fuel-futures/
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...octane-ratings
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health...m_premium.html
    http://www.truecar.com/blog/2011/03/...s-regular-gas/

I haven't emptied the Google search magazine yet, but I can already see a general consensus among them, and that is you're wrong.

Funny that there is no mention of ethanol in the marketplace article you hold so highly, whats your take on the subject?
    It's not funny at all; the issue at hand was premium vs. regular octane fuel, and which is right for your car. Some argue that ethanol-free fuel provides greater fuel economy, but this is rarely demonstrated in actual mileage tests, such as what was done in that Marketplace episode I posted. Perhaps a small portion of the Shell V-Power they used in the Cruise was wasted due to improper combustion, putting it on par mileage-wise with the regular octane, or perhaps there is more ethanol added to certain high octane brands in order to increase the octane rating. Do you understand how the octane rating in a fuel is controlled?

And nothing you have said here disproves anything I have said, you actually prove my points by misinterpreting information and then go on to say how your right because "Popular Opinion" agrees with you. Here's what we know Ie. Predetonation happens. Your engine compensates. Premium has a higher flashpoint and does the work for the engines sensors.
    Okay, so let me get this straight: Regular octane fuel ignites before it's supposed to in high compression engines (ie; burns too easily), so high octane fuel is developed so that it ignites at the proper time (ie; bit more difficult to ignite), and that somehow magically does the work for the engine sensors in a regular octane engine? How do you account for the fact that, in emissions tests, every single test shows that high octane fuel burned in a regular octane engine results in an excess of unburned hydrocarbons? Do you understand what unburned hydrocarbons are, or where they come from? Was this not taught in scratch-n-dent removal 101?

No, you don't need it never said you did. You don't need a healthy lifestyle either, it just helps you last longer.
    You see, this statement alone illustrates to me that you do not really understand how fuels work in engines. Burning a higher octane fuel in a regular combustion engine is not at all the same as eating healthy food. Eating food is a bio-chemical process, a car engine running on fuel the engine was designed for is not. There is no "Octane" rating in our bodies, and we certainly don't ping.

Is it a waste of money? Subjective, I don't mind the extra cost. Others apparently do. Others still have an agenda. Also could you point me to the article covering the peer review of the marketplace study where it was recreated it and produced similar results? I know your wrong because I know where your getting your information. We will have to agree to disagree on that one. I'm done here because it bothers me to have to defend my views in such a way.
    An agenda for what, exactly? The Illuminati wanting us to burn ethanol for the lizard people? This is a test anyone can perform for themselves! I refuse agree to disagree on bad information.

The thing however that got me the most was the condescending tone that was taken towards another member who came here to post for help.
    My apologies; I'm allergic to bullcrap, and tend to have a bad reaction when exposed to it.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Well nothing wrong with a good healthy debate!
    I know this...if you put a jug of conventional motor oil and one of synthetic on your back deck overnight even if it's a balmy minus 18 or so and then try to put them both through a funnel in the morning the difference is obvious.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Well nothing wrong with a good healthy debate!
    I know this...if you put a jug of conventional motor oil and one of synthetic on your back deck overnight even if it's a balmy minus 18 or so and then try to put them both through a funnel in the morning the difference is obvious.
    Ummmm....so what happens? (Just had synthetic put in on first oil change.)

Thanks
    The conventional oil is similar to trying to push rope because it becomes much thicker at that temp. the synthetic oil pours pretty much normal.

Thanks
    So proper lubrication from the get go, no metal on metal til the oil warms enough to flow right?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    So proper lubrication from the get go, no metal on metal til the oil warms enough to flow right?
    You got it Moose. The trick is to buy your own synthetic oil and take it to your oil changing station and have it installed. Stealerships charge too much for this oil.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

Moose (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Canadian Tire has Penzoil synthetic for $28-32 for 5liters. I belive that there is still a $10 online rebate. You cannit beat this price. Compare it, buy two jugs, and you'll more than make up the money in gas savings. The only time I've had an issue with synthetic was in an air cooled motorcycle, the cold tolerances allowed blowby. Apart from that, synthetic is a better product in every regard. Period.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to woofer2609 For This Useful Post:

Moose (09-04-2016)

Thanks
    Got a 2011 Chry 300 pentastar engine and a catch can installed. Catch can gets checked and emptied monthly. Have been using Castrol synthetic since I got the car in 2011. I got all interested when Pennzoil synthetic started making oil from natural gas. So I put Pennzoil synthetic in the car two months back and when I did my monthly catch can check I found it overflowing. It has never been that full when I was using Castrol synthetic. So I changed my oil back to Castrol and now that the month is over I checked the catch can and there is barely any fluid in the can which is what I always found. So what happened? Does Castrol have a better resistance to the heat buildup than the Pennzoil? I guess I'll never know but Castrol is now my only choice.

I researched Pennzoil and most folks claim its a good product, lots of comments on where to buy it cheaper and some have posted their Pennzoil filled engines are consuming up to a quart over a period of time. Makes me wonder if the oil is the problem for those finding their engines being down a quart.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eddy For This Useful Post:

Moose (09-06-2016),Pete (09-05-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy View Post
    Got a 2011 Chry 300 pentastar engine and a catch can installed. Catch can gets checked and emptied monthly. Have been using Castrol synthetic since I got the car in 2011. I got all interested when Pennzoil synthetic started making oil from natural gas. So I put Pennzoil synthetic in the car two months back and when I did my monthly catch can check I found it overflowing. It has never been that full when I was using Castrol synthetic. So I changed my oil back to Castrol and now that the month is over I checked the catch can and there is barely any fluid in the can which is what I always found. So what happened? Does Castrol have a better resistance to the heat buildup than the Pennzoil? I guess I'll never know but Castrol is now my only choice.

I researched Pennzoil and most folks claim its a good product, lots of comments on where to buy it cheaper and some have posted their Pennzoil filled engines are consuming up to a quart over a period of time. Makes me wonder if the oil is the problem for those finding their engines being down a quart.
    Curious, what is the catch can that you are referring to?
    From what I have researched, the molecule chains of the Penzoil Ultra premium are extremely uniform, which means less shearing of larger, non uniform molecules (more of an issue with gears/motorcycles), and better protection/ more coverage on cylinder walls. This might also mean the oil "creeps" past any loose tolerances common in an older/ aircooled engine.
    I'm not an oil engineer, but in newer engines, I noticed better mileage (actually noticeable), with no loss of oil, while in older engines, better mileage, but a fair amount of oil needed to be added between changes. I also noticed this with Rotella, which is also a Shell product.
    I have no dog in this fight, just passing on a good deal.
    Here is a link to the rebate:
    https://offers.pennzoil.com/rebate?lang=en-ca
    The Micra manual does state that it is not uncommon to have to add oil between changes on this engine, so maybe synthetic isn't the best choice. I'm going to start keeping records.
    OMG, have we started an oil thread
    I'm also aware that both the Premium and Ultra premium are Base III oils.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to woofer2609 For This Useful Post:

Moose (09-06-2016)