Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My daughters first car

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question My daughters first car

Hey guys,

My daughter is about to come of age where she is old enough for her first car she is clueless that i am looking for a motor for her and i plan on keeping it that way, i have been looking into a lot of hatch backs and smaller cars and the Micra is just standing out on specs compared to the price than any other in the same price range, i will be wanting to get her a brand new out of the showroom at a fair price that way it is a fresh car, fresh user and everything should be sweet for a while maintenance wise. What are you as the consumer the drivers them selves thinking about the new Micra?? what does it drive like is it really as good as it reads online?? it has even been on top gear and they said it was derivable but they drive Ferrari's so you caon not really take there word

SPECS
    ENGINE
    Type I-4 1.6 litre
    Power 109 hp @ 6,000 rpm (81 kW)
    Torque 107 lb·ft @ 4,400 rpm (145 N·m)
    Induction Atmospheric
    Power to weight ratio 77.9 W/kg
    Bore 78 mm
    Stroke 83 mm
    Fuel type Regular
    CO₂ emissions 3,542 kg/year
    Other engines none
    Transmission
    5-speed manual (base)
    4-speed automatic
    Drivetrain FWD

Vehicle type / Category
    Vehicle type Hatchback
    Category City Car
    Assembly Aguascalientes, MX
    Generation 4
    What's new No major change

Fuel efficiency / Autonomy
    City 8.6 l/100km
    Highway 6.6 l/100km
    Autonomy 477 km

Dimensions / Weight
    Length 3,827 mm (151″)
    Width 1,665 mm (66″)
    Height 1,527 mm (60″)
    Wheelbase 2,450 mm (96″)
    Front track 14,760 mm (581″)
    Rear track 1,465 mm (58″)
    Weight 1,044 kg (2,302 lbs)
    Weight distribution front-rear N/A

Performance
    0-100 km/h 11.5 s
    80-120 km/h 9.2 s
    Top speed N/A
    Braking distance 44.1 m

So give me the good the bad and the ugly i want to know as much as possible before i give this to my daughter, looking forward to talking to everyone!!

Name:  2016-Nissan-Micra-Release-date.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  58.7 KB

Thanks guys

Last edited by minimicra2016; 08-24-2016 at 11:16 PM. Reason: More information

Thanks
    Welcome, minimicra2016!

Don't forget that the car they drive on Top Gear is the UK spec model that doesn't have the upgraded suspension and more powerful engine that we get in North America.

If you read the reviews of the Micra, it is extremely difficult to find ones that do not praise the car. We have posted links to A LOT of Canadian Micra reviews here: Micra Media Reviews & Road Tests

But I always tell people: if you're interested, GO TRY IT YOURSELF! So much is subjective -- your own opinion is the one that matters.

Curious: would you be getting her a manual or automatic?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Your right everyone does praise the Canadian Micra every review looks good which makes me feel better, i am going to have to go give one a test drive if i feel its a good first car then i will get one for my daughter because i want it to be a surprise she doesn't have the first idea she is getting this

Thanks
    From the home page of the forum the "Tecnical Discussion" categories list many of the quirks and problems people have had with their Micra.

If you haven't already, visit those sections before deciding.

Personally, I love my little bare bones race car...it IS a race car you know?

Thanks
    Indeed it's best to just get in one. It really is about personal preference in this segment. Here is my opinion based on my observations, I've owned my car since February and I absolutely love it. The top competitor that people go for is the Chevy Spark. The spark comes standard with a better stereo that has more functions like GPS, and phone mirroring, but that's really where it ends in the PRO section, the Micra is slightly more powerful, trust me when I say at this level more power is good even for new drivers, especially if there are highways involved. It's more reliable as the car body has been around since 2013 and is largely unchanged since then, the engine has been around for quite some time longer and has been used in a wide variety of cars of different makes world wide meaning parts will be cheaper and easier to find long into the future. I have a good friend who is a Nissan Mechanic he is a fan of the Micra due to it's reliability. Most complaints are about various engine noises. Most of the time diagnosed and covered by warennty. No one ever comes in with a seized motor or blown transmission. Oh yeah it's a old style normal geared transmission, not a CVT that many other cars in this segment use which are slower and tend to have more issues than traditional auto transmissions. Nissan did this to keep the cost down as well. Huge overseas aftermarket part selection. (You can get chrome bits like door handle covers and mirror covers at a fraction of the cost Nissan charges at sites like ebay and ALIexpress) It's a car you can really make your own with the small customization available. Nissan offers a city accent package where you can accent the car in about 8 different colors. And the consensus is it's just more fun to drive.

What I don't like.
    A lot of body roll on fast tight turns due to the high ride height, and tall roof. (I offer a fix for that, in the buy and sell section)
    Only one small dome light. It's hard to see at night when your trying to buckle kids into the back seat. (Get an LED bulb from Canadian tire)
    Noisey AC. AC clutch kicks in like a hammer hitting the engine block, but it's normal, they all do it. It's also pretty loud on the outside while running. Kind of a peeve more than an issue.
    Not much sound insulation. You are going to here it when a rock flys off your tire and pings your wheel well. Some people complain that the engine sounds too loud when accelerating but I like to hear my motor when I put the pedal down. It's more of a problem on windy days on the highway. Some wind noise will be heard. (Turn the radio up)
    Wheels. They are 4x100 which means that we should have the best selection of cheap wheels ever since all those old civic owners thought they were race car owners made a huge market for 4x100 rims. Wrong. FOr some reason Nissan went with a 60mm centrebore as opposed to Honda's 54mm. Most 4x100 rims will not fit, they have to have at least a 60mm centrebore. (I'm getting picky now.)

That said, I would try to find a late model 2015 SV with the convenience package. They sold for about $14500 before the 2016's came out, you may get it for less now that they are out. it has the top of the line stereo with integrated back up camera. They apparently don't offer that on the 2016 sv's You will know it's a late model if it has the 2016 radio and climate control layout which is all black with grey trim even around the AC and heater knobs. The early models just have a dull grey plastic around the ac and heater knobs. Make sure they throw in the free 3years roadside assistance and oil changes. Don't forget to tell them that you were looking around at a different Nissan dealership. The dealer may try to sell you add ons you don't need. Don't let them tack things on like wheel locks and 3m coating, our bumpers already have a coating, and if you need wheel locks you can certainly get them cheaper than at Nissan

Then of course it's the wonderful people you meet in a Micra. To own a Micra is not like owning a Spark, or a Yaris or even a pastel colored Mirage. It's like being apart of a club. A lot of Micra owners will give a wave or a friendly smile when passing other Micra owners on the road or in a parking lot. Being a Micra owner makes you wonderful as well, as people will often stare it wondering what it is, and will even approach to ask about it. Most women think it's cute, and most guys think it's cool.

Is there anything I'm forgetting?
    Oh and every Micra Speedo is fast by about 5km/h so when your doing 60km/h your GPS will say you are doing 55km/h.
    Last edited by Vapor; 08-24-2016 at 02:45 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vapor For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (08-28-2016),Pete (08-23-2016)

Thanks
    I am hoping my daughter will be responsible and not use it as a race car... saying that time will tell,

And Vapor you have a lot of information there as i have been reading through you have made some very good points, i will deffo look into the earlier version of the Micra to see the differences test drive and make a dissension on whats best for her!!

Thanks guys massive help

Senior Member Micra In The Mountains's Avatar
    Thanks
    Plus it can fit a lot of stuff (see our "What can you fit in your Micra" thread), for when she finally moves away from home to attend college; perfect little car for a budget conscious university student...
    Nice!

Thanks
    I have just checked the (what can you fit in your Micra) and it is actually surprising, just keeps getting better and better

Thanks
    The Micra is the most fun to drive in this price range. Also has the best stock suspension.

The tech package that is stock in the SPARK is probably the WORST feature for a first time driver!

It is actually pretty impressive in the price range (unlike the driving experience) But FAR TOO DISTRACTING to be safe for a new driver. If I got this car for my first time driver, I'd pull the fuse on the system until they had their driving restrictions lifted.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by minimicra2016 View Post
    I am hoping my daughter will be responsible and not use it as a race car... saying that time will tell,
    A slow race car, all the cache without the speed!
    http://www.wired.com/2015/06/racing-...ill-seriously/