Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel bearings (all 4 needed replacing at 72k km)

Thanks

Wheel bearings (all 4 needed replacing at 72k km)

My Micra has 72000 kms and I started to hear a wheel bearing noise. I brought the car inro the dealer to discover that all 4 of my bearings require replacement. Wow I replied. Has anyone else run into a wheel bearing issue on their Micra?????

Thanks
    One of the front ones was replaced on mine at its first inspection; barely a year old. Done under warranty of course but I was surprised as to how early it was needed.

Thanks
    Cheap car made with cheap parts that are overpriced at the stealership. I'm surprised I haven't needed a wheel bearing yet, but I probably should source one from AliExpress now, they take forever to ship.

Anyone have a part number to cross reference, or an image of their wheel bearing?

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    It is covered under 100000 km power train warranty.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikepro For This Useful Post:

Pete (08-17-2016)

Thanks
    just coming across this thread. I have just within the last few days noticed a loud hum as i drive above 50-60kms. What does the bearing issue sound like? I thought it was the tires, as if something is rubbing against them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
    just coming across this thread. I have just within the last few days noticed a loud hum as i drive above 50-60kms. What does the bearing issue sound like? I thought it was the tires, as if something is rubbing against them.
    I think you will find the bearing will be a noticeable grinding or howling and at all speeds, especially when you speed up from initially hearing it. I too have a noticeable hum coming from the back end while at 62 km. If I go over, it's gone, if I go under it's gone. If I hear the howl I'm usually in 5th gear and if I gear down it's gone. I think it's my exhaust system as I can't see anything out of place under the car. I just jacked up the car and tried pulling on the both the tires at 12 and 6, 9 and 3, solid, not clicking or loose. Spun the wheels, no noise so I'm not suspecting it's wheel bearings. I would like to blame the tires but it made the noise when I had the snow tires on too. Got me for now!

Thanks
    I haven't noticed anything loose or out of place either. When coasting downhill I release the throttle and the noise persists. It actuslly gets louder the faster I am traveling. But no grinding. actually sounds similar to running on rough/scraped asphalt. Perhaps i never noticed as i would have the stereo loud, but pronounced noise, van't be good. I will get it check out at next oil change.

Blue

Thanks
    One way to test if it's a bearing is to "slalom" the car left & right in fairly wide arcs at a constant (moderate) speed. As the bad bearing side is "unweighted" it will usually quiet down. It gets louder as that side is weighted.

You need to be going fast enough to make the car lean over somewhat as you steer left & right.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Welp, I had to get my rear wheel bearings at about 77000 Km mark. Seemed a bit early for my liking, but then again our roads are quite harsh.
    I believed it was a muffler issue at first, but that theory jumped out the window when the noise was proportional to speed, not RPM. Loud, bassy growl.
    Just for the record, my exhaust actually had to be soldered, as at the junction located right after the catalytic converter was hanging by a thread, the seam suddenly gave up on me (luckily there was less than a quarter of the seam holding up) bringing this awful metal on metal grinding noise. I was lucky enough to realize, I shudder imagining what a mess would the exhaust pipe + muffler falling while driving.

A bit disappointed with some quality issues by Nissan, to be honest. Apparently my O2 sensor (or it's wiring harnesses) have bitten the dust (OBD-II fault error P0037), that's more money I'd rather spend improving my dear March, not fixing it.

Thanks
    confirmed, right rear bearing gone. tech said the drum design allows for all kinds of stuff to get in and dries out the lubricant. Only 21,000 km on mine. I am going to start driving this thing hard to see if any other bits need replacing before the warranty expires.