Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the Versa sedan/Note selling like hotcakes in the US?

Thanks

Why is the Versa sedan/Note selling like hotcakes in the US?

Recall that the slow-selling Versa sedan was cancelled in Canada, replaced by the Micra, which went on to become Nissan's best-selling car (not SUV/truck/crossover) in many months since its launch.

--- From thread: Nissan cancelling Versa sedan in favour of $10,000 Micra ---

Strangely, in the U.S., the Versa -- a 5-year old design -- is not only continuing to dominate the subcompact charts, but it's actually on the rise.

The Truth About Cars published an article on this mystery:

Name:  2015-nissan-versa-sedan-front-static-600-001.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  38.9 KB

The majority of Versa sales in the U.S. are the sedan body style.

Subcompact Cars Are Dying, Yet Nissan Is Selling Five-Year-Old Versas Like They’re Crossovers or Something

Through the first-half of 2016, passenger car sales volume is down 8 percent in the United States.

Versa sales have been on the rise for the last seven years.

What’s the difference? Why does the Versa succeed when its rivals are fading and industry observers conclude that consumers are done with subcompacts? Why has the Versa thrived when some rivals are giving up and many others don’t even bother with the segment in North America?
    The short answer seems to be: price. A Versa S sedan with 5-speed trans and A/C standard is America's cheapest new, non-discounted MSRP. Also, there's tons of interior space for its footprint, especially in the back seat -- of both bodystyles.

Read the full article: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ers-something/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    i love TTAC. yep, the Timothy Cain article was really eye opening

here's the thing: in a country where there are plenty of poor people, people will always always look for a brand new, factory warranty econobox. so long as it's reliable, the only other thing they care about is cheap.

i cant comment on Versa as i've never driven it, and it's not available here, but all the reviews have said it sucks major testicles. understandable, it IS the cheapest car.

i dont know how the power to weight ratio compares, but im willing to bet its worse than Micra. then again....is there a better power to weight ratio in the subcompact class, than our Micra?

i recall there being a table of specs comparing that.....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to micrapolis For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-21-2016)

For the base model s at
    1047kg and 109hp that's 9.6kg/hp the lightest versa ( based model note )
    1096kg= 10.06kg/hp
    2303.4lbsvs 2411.2lbs (107.8lbs heavier)
    21.13lbs/hp vs 22.12lbs/hp
    note almost exactly 1lbs/hp more then micra.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.8 mpg (Imp) ... 13.0 km/L ... 30.6 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Does that include the grey Micra's? lol

Thanks
    Why is your Micra heavier than ours I wonder? Ours are 980kg.
    Edit: answered my own question lol, you guys have 1.6 4 banger under the bonnet and various other bits like rear ARB and spare wheel bracket under the back etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Does that include the grey Micra's? lol
    No, just the silver ones. It could very well be the reason why the silver ones go faster. XD

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S automatic: 7.9 L/100 km ... 35.7 mpg (Imp) ... 12.6 km/L ... 29.7 mpg (US) ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

Johnuk (07-19-2016)

Thanks
    Americans hate hatchbacks, and Canadians don't buy small sedans. Sad but true. That's pretty much the extent of it.
    Each is seen as an admission of poverty, or lower socio economic background, I believe. This is why we no longer get Civic hatchbacks, and you see about 10 Yaris hatchbacks for each sedan sold in Canada (do they even sell them in Canada anymore?)
    As an aside, the same goes for station wagons. Canadians buy them if available, Americans don't.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micrapolis View Post
    all the reviews have said it sucks major testicles. understandable, it IS the cheapest car.
    Yup. Typical reviewers tend to prioritize looks, power, handling. Real world buyers overwhelmingly prioritize value/perceived dependability/cost of ownership.

Interestingly: reviewers have mostly loved the Canadianized Micra. It seems to hit the sweet spot in multiple areas. Sales against its rivals confirm this.

...power to weight ratio

i recall there being a table of specs comparing that.....
    Yup:
    Thread: 2015 Micra vs competitors, power to weight ratio comparison

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (07-22-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
    you see about 10 Yaris hatchbacks for each sedan sold in Canada (do they even sell them in Canada anymore?)
    Yeah, actually they do... but the new Yaris sedan is really a Mazda 2, also rebadged as the Toyota iA (formerly Scion). Confusing.

Thanks
    in fairness to the dearth of subcompact sedans.....the smaller your car, the more it makes sense to go hatch. simply cuz the interior stoarge space becomes SUCH a scarce premium. a hatch will almost always deliver more of that.

also on a unrelated note, TTAC wrote an article about how mazda3 sells poorly in the US. well, i dont know what the canadian sales figures are, but here in Vancouver, they are VERY plentiful, which makes me happy, as that car deserves it.

shame that the mazda 6 doesnt sell, tho. what a beautiful mid size sedan. better than even the fusion or the new civic.