Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is the Versa sedan/Note selling like hotcakes in the US?

Thanks
    I saw that Mazda 3 article too. In Canada, the 3's numbers are very different than in the US - it sells MUCH better here.

Look at the annual Can vs. US sales numbers and you can see that it sells 3x - 4x better here (per capita basis) than in the States in the last 4 or 5 years.

I find these odd differences in our car markets interesting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Pete (07-22-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micrapolis View Post
    in fairness to the dearth of subcompact sedans.....the smaller your car, the more it makes sense to go hatch. simply cuz the interior stoarge space becomes SUCH a scarce premium. a hatch will almost always deliver more of that.
    The sedan version of this car, and of any car, has one important and legitimate advantage: Stuff you lock in your trunk is way more secure than in a hatchback. If you're living near the poverty line, you're probably living in a neighbourhood where crooks wouldn't think twice about smashing the back window for a quick smash-and-grab of the valuable items in your trunk. There is no smash-and-grab option with a sedan, unless there's a remote trunk release, and that's easily taken care of with a pair of wire cutters.

It doesn't surprise me that the Versa sedan is doing so well. Nissan has established a perceived notion of reliability on par with Toyota and Honda. This perception aligns pretty well with reality when the Versa is compared to its contemporaries. Then there's the fact that it's perfectly engineered for a small family with generous interior room, and an engine that balances performance with fuel economy...I think the reason why the Versa is taking over this market segment is because Nissan has discovered the perfect formula.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaMicra For This Useful Post:

micrapolis (08-12-2016)

Thanks
    Another legitimate sedan advantage: more structure to crush and absorb energy in the event of a rear-end crash. Rear seat passengers are probably safer in a sedan than equivalent hatchback.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AlphaMicra (08-15-2016),micrapolis (08-12-2016)

Thanks
    I figured it out! It's the same reason Americans continue to use the $1 bill....but don't use their $2 bill that is rarer than a hens tooth.
    Sedan = $1
    Hatchback =$2

8. The Following User Says Thank You to woofer2609 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-11-2017)