Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you put an aftermarket sunroof in a Micra?

Thanks

Would you put an aftermarket sunroof in a Micra?

They get some pretty fancy roofs in Micras in other countries. MicraK13NL has an awesome panoramic roof in his:

(From thread: Dutch owner of a K13 )

Since the Canadian Micra doesn't have any sun/moonroof options, would you consider getting an aftermarket sunroof? (Do they even sell them any more? I know you used to be able to get them installed at auto glass shops.)

Personally, I love sunroofs because of they way they brighten up the interior. And the Micra's black interior is verrrrry dark.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think its a good idea. I know they still sell them. I'm pretty sure that they're not even all that horribly expensive to add unless you want a fancy powered version.

Thanks
    Not me, for the following reasons.

One is the fact that the Micra is designed with a unique pattern indented in the roof to help with its aerodynamic profile. I think this makes the Micra look very unique, and a sunroof would take away from that.

Two is the fact that factory sunroofs are engineered to leak, so the outer opening is larger than the inner opening, and that inner opening is made of a system of channels that takes the water away and down the A pillars so that water will never leak to the inside of the car. This would require a huge effort to accomplish in the aftermarket, but is relatively easy to accomplish during production. I suspect that a properly designed aftermarket one would be a huge expense.

Third is the fact that mine doesn't see much use; in the summer, the sunshade is kept closed. It's only opened on clear days when it's not too hot and not too cold.

Don't get me wrong; I enjoy a sunroof, but not so much as to get an aftermarket one in a Micra.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.
    Be sure to visit my blog at mymicra.com!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I Don't Mind With No Sunroof. Since It's Frickin' Raining All Day Here In Vancouver Anyways. I Agree With Alpha, That Aerodynamic Roof Thing Is Unique. Lol

Thanks
    That is wicked. The whole car looks so good that way. I wouldn't mind the glass roof, but moving glass is driving me nuts with how low the inside comes down. Every time I drive a family members 2014 MKZ, I crack my head into it.

Seriously, that Micra looks great. Good looking vehicle.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
    That is wicked. The whole car looks so good that way. I wouldn't mind the glass roof, but moving glass is driving me nuts with how low the inside comes down. Every time I drive a family members 2014 MKZ, I crack my head into it.

Seriously, that Micra looks great. Good looking vehicle.
    In my '02 Grand Am GT, the sunroof retracts outside of the car, and so doesn't use up any extra interior head space except for what the engineered water channels require.

In our culture obsessed with absurd excess, the Nissan Micra is my counterculture car of choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra SV manual: 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp) ... 15.7 km/L ... 36.9 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    I'm not so sure it's worth being nervous about leakage of an aftermarket roof. My family has had a bunch installed in various cars through the years (although none recently) with no leakage.

They're definitely not as nice looking or as functional as an OEM tilt/sliding roof. And yes, the leak risk remains. But I think it's a small risk.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Micra S manual: 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.5 mpg (Imp) ... 20.0 km/L ... 47.0 mpg (US) ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I'm not so sure it's worth being nervous about leakage of an aftermarket roof. My family has had a bunch installed in various cars through the years (although none recently) with no leakage.

They're definitely not as nice looking or as functional as an OEM tilt/sliding roof. And yes, the leak risk remains. But I think it's a small risk.
    Do they come with a sliding sun shade?

Thanks
    Name:  panoramic-sunroof-lincoln-mkz.jpg
Views: 3223
Size:  18.9 KB

Is what it looks like, definitely only retracts on the outside lol

Trying to find comparison images, I found a lot of my same complaint. I don't have any experience with aftermarket roofs to know how different it is before/after.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
    Trying to find comparison images, I found a lot of my same complaint. I don't have any experience with aftermarket roofs to know how different it is before/after.
    Definitely outside! My experience has been that cars with sunroofs that retract into the roof lose a lot of headroom in the back seat. I suppose the roofline might be lower for either in the front seat due to the water management system. Maybe that's why the 2015 Micra seems to have significantly more headroom than my current car.